1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

New Toronto Brooks Brothers store opening soon

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Recoil, Feb 5, 2012.

1. Recoil

Recoil Senior member

There is a new Brooks opening on the northwest corner of Bloor and St. George. I really don't understand why they chose this location but time will tell. I'm not sure when they plan to open, it's going into an existing building and the posters currently fill the windows. The physical building looks great and they could really make this into a great looking throwback store, I just wonder how many people in that neighbourhood are looking for this kind of clothing. The big-man-on-ivy-league-campus stuff, sure, but 1K for suits, I don't know.

2. MyOtherLife

MyOtherLife Senior member

They'll be fine there. It is only a few minutes walk from Bay St. That whole stretch of Bloor Street has had a new facelift recently so perfect timing. Thank you for the heads up.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2012
  3. Ivon

Ivon Senior member

Do they really need another downtown store? Picking retail store locations is more science than art those days, they should know what they are doing, although for the type of customers I see at Royal Bank Plaza, I would have thought something like Oakville Place might be better. Rosen has a financial district and Yorkville store, but there merchandise is somewhat different, more luxury and trendier stuff in Yorkville. Brooks Brothers is Brooks Brothers.

4. TRINI

TRINI Senior member

There's a ton of graduating students in that area who'll be entering the workforce and needing interview suits and work wardrobes

Last edited: Feb 5, 2012
  5. WildeMan

WildeMan Senior member

They are also opening in Bayview Village at Bayview and Sheppard.

6. bellyhungry

bellyhungry Senior member

Toronto is not very kind to high-end retailers if they sit on their reutation elsewhere and believe that they can just open a store and people will be gravitated to them.

7. Bill Smith

Bill Smith Senior member

Interesting choice of location. Bloor and St George is a little bit west of Yorkville and I'm not sure how many students from my alma mater (University of Toronto) will be core customers. It might come down to that magic combination of the square footage required for a store and the price per square foot and perhaps they want to be a little ahead of the curve in terms the neighbourhood changing. Bear in mind residential real estate is not cheap in that neck of the woods these days

Now as for Oakville Place, it's in my own back yard and honestly, it's a sad little mall. As much as I want a BB in my own backyard, reality is Sherway Gardens make a lot more sense in terms of potential locations.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2012
  8. Nicola

Nicola Senior member

Okay my memory is crap but isn't that walking distance to Queen's Park? Either that or they took over the campus bookstore. But that's college not bloor :)

9. saysomething

saysomething Well-Known Member

Saw the signs yesterday and was quite happy - BB will be getting a lot more of my business now with normal retail hours.

As for the U of T location, it'll be beside U of T; last I checked a lot of profs are employed there. And it's a 5 minute walk from Yorkville. I suspect there hours will be similar to the RBC location...iow, shite.

10. Millerp

Millerp Senior member

Here's the location. NW corner of Bloor and St. George. The neighborhood is called
    The Annex.

[​IMG]

11. othertravel

othertravel Senior member

I think BB deserves some credit. I used to be a Holts and Harrys shopper, and am really impressed by BB pricing during their sales. Their golden fleece suits (full canvas) are in the 800 range during their clearance event. A fully canvassed suit rarely drops below 1k at Harrys and Holts.

12. Bill Smith

Bill Smith Senior member

That would be the perfect location, pre WWII building with character and I forgot, steps from the St. George subway station which intersects both the University and Bloor Lines. I'm starting to think BB's real estate office might a bit ahead of the curve playing the long game, lock in a nice long term lease at a reasonable rate and be the tenant that draws others to the neighbourhood.

Are they taking the whole ground floor?

13. Bill Smith

Bill Smith Senior member

Same here, I'm a convert from Harry's and Holt's too. I like Brooks Brother's customer service a lot better, they are nowhere as pushy especially compared to some of the associates working at Harry Rosen.

14. Ivon

Ivon Senior member

I think most of the Royal Bank Plaza SAs have worked at Harry at some point. I reconnected with one gentleman at BB who used to be my SA at Harry's on Bloor. I don't find Harry SAs to be any pushier than BB ones. I avoid Holt's like the plague, pushier and much more arrogant by far. I can see pushy at Harry's on Bloor, but I usually shop at the King St store and it's more relaxed, but then the older SAs are used to me. Lou is THE best suit guy I know, known him for decades. Steven is a real professional as well. Bloor SAs are hit and miss, but the woman in the shoe department is great.

15. Bill Smith

Bill Smith Senior member

My experience has been with the Bloor St. Harry Rosen location. I think BB recruited well for their first Toronto location.

16. scypticalchymist

scypticalchymist Active Member

I had a great impression of the staff at the Royal Bank Brooks Brothers location. Very helpful, not pushy, and spent a lot of time with me even though I was only interested in a shirt or two. A younger guy doesn't always get that kind of attention at high(er) end stores.

17. bellyhungry

bellyhungry Senior member

Michael at the Royal Bank location is great; helpful but not over bearing.

The others? No so much.

18. Viral

Viral Senior member

nonsense..............security always follows me around at high(er) end stores. :nodding:

1 person likes this.
  19. othertravel

othertravel Senior member

I definitely have had mixed experiences at all 3 places. I have a pretty good relationship with Yasir at Holts; a fine gentlemen.

Harrys is a bit more problematic. I've had a female SA try to push me to buy a suit that was obviously too big on me (my size wasn't available). And she kept telling me how amazing I looked and kept touching my arms to emphasize the point (physical contact is a pretty effective sales tool). But I didn't buy the suit obviously.

The pushiest SA I ever experienced was at Harrys as well. I was looking at some Boss Selection items and the SA came up to me and asked if I needed help. I told him I was looking at some suits (and suits only!). He then started talking about a new brand of jeans they started carrying. The conversation went like this:

SA: We got these new jeans you have to check out; they feel amazing.

Me: Actually I'm not looking for jeans right now, just suits.

SA: No seriously, you have to check them out; the material is amazing.

Me: (very politely) I don't need jeans right now, but thanks anyways.

SA: Follow me, I'll show you the jeans.

(I reluctantly follow him to the jeans)

SA: (Holding the jeans) feel how amazing that is.

Me: Yeah thats not bad.

SA: You're about a 32 right? Here try these on.

Me: (finally losing patience) Yeah listen, I really don't have time to try on jeans. I'm just looking at suits.

SA: (looking deflated for not being able to sell the jeans).

To this day I still have no idea why he was pushing me to buy jeans.

20. Recoil

Recoil Senior member

Yasir is a good guy.