• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

New to the forum

Bluesuit

Reaction score
I've been reading the forum for a few months and have realized that I know almost nothing about anything discussed on this forum - but I greatly enjoy the dialogue. Anyway, I'm interested in a bespoke suit but don't even know where to start. I live just a short drive from San Francisco, are there any suggestions? I don't even know how much one will cost, $2,000 has been mentioned, where does that fall into the spectrum?

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bluesuit
I've been reading the forum for a few months and have realized that I know almost nothing about anything discussed on this forum - but I greatly enjoy the dialogue. Anyway, I'm interested in a bespoke suit but don't even know where to start. I live just a short drive from San Francisco, are there any suggestions? I don't even know how much one will cost, $2,000 has been mentioned, where does that fall into the spectrum?

Welcome aboard!

I can't help you on tailors in SFO; sorry.

I'll say this though, about going bespoke - the first time you do it, one of two things is likely, depending on your temperament and your tailor. Either you will get a slightly better-fitting but otherwise unremarkable suit for your efforts, because your tailor doesn't push and you're unsure what to ask for (this is what I did. I like the suit, but I regret all the little things I might have specified but didn't). Or, you'll end up with a monstrosity, so full of bells and whistles that you could well end up regretting not getting something more "practical."

All of which is to say, my rather patronizing advice would be, don't go out and spend thousands on a bespoke suit as your initial venture into high-end clothing. Hang around, examine suits you like, maybe upgrade your collection with a couple of fully-canvassed OTR suits, figure out what you're really missing about those OTR suits. Then go bespeak a suit that truly reflects what you're seeking.

EL72

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^ Good advice imo.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Visiting Wilkes Bashford would probably be a decent idea.

Bluesuit

Reaction score
I've been to Wilkes a few times and have enjoyed what I have seen, only bought one item, a dark suede waistcoat. I have also been to a store called The Hound, again, I liked looking around but really aren't in a position to make any type of informed decision about the quality of their goods.

Most of the time when I am in S.F. I walk past Wilkes without going in, I feel guilty about taking their time when I have little or no intention on making an immediate purchase.

Manton

RINO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
In my four years on these forums, the question of SF tailors has come up many times, and no one has ever discovered a good one. However, a few of the Savile Row boys do visit regularly, and they appear to have the bespoke market cornered. Prices are going to be more like $3,000 to $4,000 depending on the firm, the cloth you choose, and the current USD-to-GBP exchange rate.

mrchapel

Reaction score
Welcome to the board! Echoing others here, I am not familiar with the SF tailor market. But as Manton said, SF is a regular US stop for some Savile Row tailors. Best of luck in your bespoke adventures and post pictures!

Stax

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
In my four years on these forums, the question of SF tailors has come up many times, and no one has ever discovered a good one. However, a few of the Savile Row boys do visit regularly, and they appear to have the bespoke market cornered. Prices are going to be more like $3,000 to $4,000 depending on the firm, the cloth you choose, and the current USD-to-GBP exchange rate.

There is an operation in Walnut Creek called Ling's Custom Tailors. The work is done in China, but all of the measuring and fittings, etc., are done out of Ling's storefront in the creek. Prices range b/w $1,400 and $2,500, fully canvased. I have not had Ling do any bespoke items for me, but the quality of his suits seems to be pretty decent for the price. I have had Ling take in a Brioni suit I own and he did a great job, although it was not a tricky job. Manton, have you heard anything about Ling? I am thinking of taking the plunge, but would love to get some feedback first.

Featured Sponsor

What's your favorite pair of shoes to wear with jeans? (Choose two)

• Boots (Chelsea, Chukkas, Balmorals, etc.)

• Loafers

• Work boots (Red Wing, Wolverine, etc.)

• Monk strap shoes

• Oxford / Derby shoes

• Sneakers

Results are only viewable after voting.