1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 8: A Bespoke Coat from David Reeves

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction of the year is for a Bespoke Coat from David Reeves. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

New to the forum

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Bluesuit, Jul 20, 2006.

1. Bluesuit

Bluesuit New Member

I've been reading the forum for a few months and have realized that I know almost nothing about anything discussed on this forum - but I greatly enjoy the dialogue. Anyway, I'm interested in a bespoke suit but don't even know where to start. I live just a short drive from San Francisco, are there any suggestions? I don't even know how much one will cost, $2,000 has been mentioned, where does that fall into the spectrum?

2. grimslade

grimslade Stylish Dinosaur

I've been reading the forum for a few months and have realized that I know almost nothing about anything discussed on this forum - but I greatly enjoy the dialogue. Anyway, I'm interested in a bespoke suit but don't even know where to start. I live just a short drive from San Francisco, are there any suggestions? I don't even know how much one will cost, $2,000 has been mentioned, where does that fall into the spectrum?

Welcome aboard!

I can't help you on tailors in SFO; sorry.

I'll say this though, about going bespoke - the first time you do it, one of two things is likely, depending on your temperament and your tailor. Either you will get a slightly better-fitting but otherwise unremarkable suit for your efforts, because your tailor doesn't push and you're unsure what to ask for (this is what I did. I like the suit, but I regret all the little things I might have specified but didn't). Or, you'll end up with a monstrosity, so full of bells and whistles that you could well end up regretting not getting something more "practical."

All of which is to say, my rather patronizing advice would be, don't go out and spend thousands on a bespoke suit as your initial venture into high-end clothing. Hang around, examine suits you like, maybe upgrade your collection with a couple of fully-canvassed OTR suits, figure out what you're really missing about those OTR suits. Then go bespeak a suit that truly reflects what you're seeking. [​IMG]

3. EL72

EL72 Distinguished Member

^^ Good advice imo.

4. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Stylish Dinosaur

Visiting Wilkes Bashford would probably be a decent idea.

5. Matt

Matt [email protected]

6. Bluesuit

Bluesuit New Member

I've been to Wilkes a few times and have enjoyed what I have seen, only bought one item, a dark suede waistcoat. I have also been to a store called The Hound, again, I liked looking around but really aren't in a position to make any type of informed decision about the quality of their goods.

Most of the time when I am in S.F. I walk past Wilkes without going in, I feel guilty about taking their time when I have little or no intention on making an immediate purchase.

7. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

In my four years on these forums, the question of SF tailors has come up many times, and no one has ever discovered a good one. However, a few of the Savile Row boys do visit regularly, and they appear to have the bespoke market cornered. Prices are going to be more like $3,000 to $4,000 depending on the firm, the cloth you choose, and the current USD-to-GBP exchange rate.

8. mrchapel

mrchapel Senior Member

Welcome to the board! Echoing others here, I am not familiar with the SF tailor market. But as Manton said, SF is a regular US stop for some Savile Row tailors. Best of luck in your bespoke adventures and post pictures! [​IMG]

9. Stax

Stax Senior Member

In my four years on these forums, the question of SF tailors has come up many times, and no one has ever discovered a good one. However, a few of the Savile Row boys do visit regularly, and they appear to have the bespoke market cornered. Prices are going to be more like $3,000 to $4,000 depending on the firm, the cloth you choose, and the current USD-to-GBP exchange rate.

There is an operation in Walnut Creek called Ling's Custom Tailors. The work is done in China, but all of the measuring and fittings, etc., are done out of Ling's storefront in the creek. Prices range b/w $1,400 and $2,500, fully canvased. I have not had Ling do any bespoke items for me, but the quality of his suits seems to be pretty decent for the price. I have had Ling take in a Brioni suit I own and he did a great job, although it was not a tricky job. Manton, have you heard anything about Ling? I am thinking of taking the plunge, but would love to get some feedback first.