• Welcome to our newest affiliate vendor, Passus Shoes. We are very happy to welcome our newest affiliate vendor, Passus Shoes. Passus shoes was founded by long term members of the forum and veterans of the shoes business. and is dedicated to crafting fine shoes in Budapest in a time honored tradition. Please help me give them a warm welcome in their new affiliate vendor thread.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

    Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

    Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

New to the forum, surprised by some of the fashion/advice

SilverSurfer

Senior Member
Joined
Apr 18, 2006
Messages
228
Reaction score
1
Hi - I mostly want to say thanks for the advice I've received so far here. But over the past few days, I've perused a lot of posts, and have been suprised to find that some of the fashion expoused here seems to be far off the mark of what is actually accepted/approved in NYC. For example, it seems as though a good number of posters here wear double breasted suits. I was shocked to read this, as they are almost universally condemned in New York, especially in the Wall Street and professional setting. In the past five years at my firm, for example, I've seen only two new associates wear them when they started work, and they both stopped after a lot of ribbing from the rest of the lawyers.

Just thought it was interesting in the context of what one considers fashionable and how important it is to have that match the professional standards of the day. Not trying to criticize, just giving food for thought.
 

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Joined
Jun 9, 2005
Messages
40,668
Reaction score
31,585
That's true. I also work on Wall Street and only a few senior (read old) bankers wear double-breasted. I don't mind SB being the standard (since it is my preference) but I am a bit annoyed by the conservatism towards shoes. A very small portion of the population wears brown shoes with suits + they all seem to wear the same AE black wingtips... I would say that it is probably as conservative a work environment as it gets. That's really unfortunate because our colleagues on the other side of the pond have the same jobs, cover similar clients but definitely allow themselves to add a bit more flair to their outfits...

But to come back to your point, it is definitely true that the advice/views expressed here can be either fashion-forward or extremely conservative depending on where one lives. e.g. super-chiselled toe shoes with burgundy antiquing that would look great and wow a few people in NYC or London would probably be almost ridiculed in a smaller mid-western town.


Originally Posted by SilverSurfer
Hi - I mostly want to say thanks for the advice I've received so far here. But over the past few days, I've perused a lot of posts, and have been suprised to find that some of the fashion expoused here seems to be far off the mark of what is actually accepted/approved in NYC. For example, it seems as though a good number of posters here wear double breasted suits. I was shocked to read this, as they are almost universally condemned in New York, especially in the Wall Street and professional setting. In the past five years at my firm, for example, I've seen only two new associates wear them when they started work, and they both stopped after a lot of ribbing from the rest of the lawyers.

Just thought it was interesting in the context of what one considers fashionable and how important it is to have that match the professional standards of the day. Food for thought.
 

Aureus

Senior Member
Joined
Mar 9, 2006
Messages
230
Reaction score
0
Thats one of the few that I've seen, and I've persued quite a bit of this forum. In fact a search for 'double breasted' only shows 14 threads since 2002 that contain 'double breasted' in the title. In professional environments it makes more sense to blend in then to mark yourself via your fashion. But since I currently only wear suits on social occasions....
 

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Joined
Mar 10, 2006
Messages
25,969
Reaction score
3,573
Well, there is certainly nothing wrong with a double breasted, especially if you want to satnd out from the crowd. Obviously, standing out from the crowd is not always feasable. In your workplace, a DB would not work but only because the senior management (and the type of law practiced) has set the standard by the clothing that they wear. In a white shoe law firm, a DB would look awkward. In Johnnie Cochran's law firm, a 2 button navy SB with white shirt and nondescript tie would look awkward. I am also in NYC and have the good fortune at working at a smaller, more sartorially knowledgable money management firm so I do not need to look like a page from the J Press catalog. NYC men, for the most part, are not who I would look to for acceptable attire.
 

aybojs

Senior Member
Joined
Jul 25, 2002
Messages
957
Reaction score
2
I know most of its residents don't seem to recognize that this is the case, but there's actually a world that exists outside of New York (one that matters far more than New York, no less!)
. In my case, I've started to grow fond of DB suits and enjoy wearing mine when I get the chance to dress up. Since I, like quite a few other members on this forum, have zero interest in moving to New York or working in white collar industry, that preference means more to me than what some Wall Street drones will say.
 

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
Apr 2, 2005
Messages
12,940
Reaction score
467
Originally Posted by gdl203
But to come back to your point, it is definitely true that the advice/views expressed here can be either fashion-forward or extremely conservative depending on where one lives. e.g. super-chiselled toe shoes with burgundy antiquing that would look great and wow a few people in NYC or London would probably be almost ridiculed in a smaller mid-western town.

Hmmm...hasn't happened yet in my small Midwestern town....
 

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Joined
Jun 9, 2005
Messages
40,668
Reaction score
31,585
Originally Posted by Teacher
Hmmm...hasn't happened yet in my small Midwestern town....

Good for you. It has happened to me. CEO of an industrial company making sneering comments at my chiselled brown wholecuts while wearing inch-thick-soled black corrected grain loafers... That was a client so I smiled and didn't try to retort
 

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Joined
Mar 2, 2005
Messages
8,738
Reaction score
43
Also, I think you are generalizing quite a bit. There's a large variety of views on this forum (though there are some people who fall into certain camps - for example, the Manton camp of rule sticklers), which is kind of what makes the forum great. I don't think the acceptability of DB suits applies to everyone on the forum. For example, personally I would never wear a DB suit and I wouldn't recommend to anyone to wear one either. I am sure that there are plenty of others like me on this board.
 

Stu

Distinguished Member
Joined
Mar 12, 2002
Messages
2,351
Reaction score
13
Originally Posted by gdl203
Good for you. It has happened to me. CEO of an industrial company making sneering comments at my chiselled brown wholecuts while wearing inch-thick-soled black corrected grain loafers... That was a client so I smiled and didn't try to retort


Good form.
 

Mr. Checks

Distinguished Member
Joined
Mar 12, 2006
Messages
1,279
Reaction score
1
Feh, a good DB is never "out."
 

Mr. Checks

Distinguished Member
Joined
Mar 12, 2006
Messages
1,279
Reaction score
1
Originally Posted by gdl203
Good for you. It has happened to me. CEO of an industrial company making sneering comments at my chiselled brown wholecuts while wearing inch-thick-soled black corrected grain loafers... That was a client so I smiled and didn't try to retort


You could trade your Agora Hills language for the above post.
 

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Joined
Jun 9, 2005
Messages
40,668
Reaction score
31,585
Originally Posted by Mr. Checks
You could trade your Agora Hills language for the above post.

I'm not sure I understand... I see a reference to the Entourage quote in my signature, but I don't get what you're trying to tell me... (apologies but English is not my first language so I may be missing something here)
 

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How do you feel about spending money on non-essential goods during the Covid-19 crisis?

  • I don't want to spend money at a time of economic uncertainty, even if I could afford it.

  • I feel compelled to spend to help small businesses that are struggling.

  • I reduced my budget for non-essential goods and I'm not spending at the moment.

  • Not much has changed for me and I'm still buying stuff I can't afford.


Results are only viewable after voting.

Related Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
438,427
Messages
9,447,801
Members
197,988
Latest member
6harperc3191gN4
Top