• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New to the forum but not fashion

LowLifeClub

Reaction score
Howdy guys,

I'm new to this forum. I've been digging around and from what I can tell most of the members really care about their fashion. I was a fashion creative director for a denim company for about 5-6 years. I've really come to discover three things that hold true for me.

1. Good clothing doesn't cost a lot of money.
2. You pay good money for a guarantee fit (but even that doesn't happen)
3. A tailor makes everything look 4 times as expensive.

From personal experience clothing, like wine, becomes all about marketing after it goes past a certain price point. The breaking point depends on the fabric and type of clothing. Take a hoodie for example, it really cost nothing to make, I don't care if you get cotton from the edges of the world it will never cost you more then 15-20 dollars to make. You'll find the same quality hoodie for 100 dollars and 300 dollars.

Things that I find worth spending money on.

1. Blazer /suit (this is kind of dependent on the fabric)
2. Good leather shoes
3. Jeans - all you need is one pair that is raw
4. Leather

Stuff that the world is being ripped off on.

1. T-shirts. the graphics does not affect the cost of the shirt that much, no matter how complex or simple it. The biggest cost of a t-shirt is the fabric.
2. Shirts. Yes button up shirts all cost the same to sew NO MATTER WHAT. The difference is the fabric but once again that plateaus at some point.
3. Non-denim pants. Unless it's tweed you're probably overpaying.

Anyone wanna chime in?

Please check out my blog sometime!

www.lowlifeclub.com

cioni2k

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LowLifeClub
Howdy guys,

I'm new to this forum. I've been digging around and from what I can tell most of the members really care about their fashion. I was a fashion creative director for a denim company for about 5-6 years. I've really come to discover three things that hold true for me.

1. Good clothing doesn't cost a lot of money.
2. You pay good money for a guarantee fit (but even that doesn't happen)
3. A tailor makes everything look 4 times as expensive.

From personal experience clothing, like wine, becomes all about marketing after it goes past a certain price point. The breaking point depends on the fabric and type of clothing. Take a hoodie for example, it really cost nothing to make, I don't care if you get cotton from the edges of the world it will never cost you more then 15-20 dollars to make. You'll find the same quality hoodie for 100 dollars and 300 dollars.

2. Good leather shoes
4. Leather

1. T-shirts. the graphics does not affect the cost of the shirt that much, no matter how complex or simple it. The biggest cost of a t-shirt is the fabric.
2. Shirts. Yes button up shirts all cost the same to sew NO MATTER WHAT. The difference is the fabric but once again that plateaus at some point.

Anyone wanna chime in?

Please check out my blog sometime!

www.lowlifeclub.com

I respectfully disagree
boxing[1].gif

All shirts cost the same to sew? What about hand-sewn details?

All non-denim pants you are probably overpaying? What are you smoking? That's a very general statement

greger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What about an 80 hour to make suit? Craftsmanship is not the same as retail clothes. Is there any craftsmanship in retail clothes? Of course there are tailors worth going to and others best not gone to. And then there are alterations tailors. The best bespoke/custom tailors are worth the thousands that people pay. The garments fit better and usually last much longer. Retail is engineered to keep there looks. Bespoke is a whole different way of thinking. The jackets should be supple but keep their fine looks.

Retail is way over priced.

Kiwi Man

Reaction score
Originally Posted by William Bruce
OK first welcome. When we must have all settled, since I am new myself, then we will discuss more on your points of view.
For just a welcome from me is OK.

Welcome to the forum.

I think you refer to t-shirt as of those brand name which can be easily found in the mall such as Banana Republic, Guess, or Express. If so, then, I would have to agree with you because it seems that those shirts are mass-produced and the only different is the tag which has been stictched to the shirt.

Thanks SF (a new me)

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
LLC, welcome to SF...

Originally Posted by Kiwi Man
Welcome to the forum.
I think you refer to t-shirt as of those brand name which can be easily found in the mall such as Banana Republic, Guess, or Express. If so, then, I would have to agree with you because it seems that those shirts are mass-produced and the only different is the tag which has been stictched to the shirt.

thanks for the reminder KiwiMan, I need to drop off some of that S#!% to my local Goodwill

LowLifeClub

Reaction score
Originally Posted by cioni2k
I respectfully disagree
boxing[1].gif
All shirts cost the same to sew? What about hand-sewn details? All non-denim pants you are probably overpaying? What are you smoking? That's a very general statement

I know what you mean when you saw hand sewn details. Of course any shirt with let's say some extra embroidery would take more time in turn making it worth more. I agree with that. However, the time it to takes to make a good fitting shirt and a non-fitting shirt is very close. The only difference is fabric and the details ( as you mentioned ). I should of been more clear. I meant all shirts that are without embellishments. With the pants statement. I said you're PROBABLY overpaying. Meaning the places people usually buy pants. Stores at the mall and such are extremely overpriced even if they cheap. And of course, once again, I'm not talking about custom tailoring.

phoenixrecon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't see how anyone is overpaying when they are paying what is concived as fair market value for an item. Also I don't care if it costs $2.00 to make. If I can't buy it at that price because that's wholesale cost not sure how it's relivent to fair market value.

Metlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
First off, welcome. I must state that most of the denizens of this forum are perhaps less interested in fashion and more interested in classic style. Jeans are great, but my Levi's are certainly the only pair that I need or care about.

Second, your example of clothing misses several items that are certainly worth spending on -- ties, for example. A handmade true 7-fold tie or a well-made grenadine are clearly superior to a mass produced brand's tie.

Given that you're talking about RTW and MTM, I'd say that shirt prices will also vary greatly based on the quality of the fabric, quality of stitching, and even arcane details such as buttons (MOP, for instance). Take a pocket square, for example -- good handmade pocket squares are priced higher than a mass-produced one for a good reason. There are several examples on this fora with comparative pictures. And remember -- handmade need not mean bespoke.

Speaking of non-denim pants, recently, someone recommended Isaia Aquaspider as a great product, and I bought a couple of pairs. So far, I've been utterly amazed at their quality and there is nothing in the market of similar make, price point, and style. The same thing goes for shoes, or most leather goods -- even a wallet. There is a world of difference in the shoes made by Kenneth Cole, Johnston & Murphy, Alden, and Crockett & Jones.

Anyone who's ordered fabric knows that good quality fabric is far from inexpensive. Yes, there is a plateau, but it is higher than most people would think. Your statement will perhaps hold true for run-of-the-mill RTW brands and most fashion brands. But there are several genuinely high-quality high-value RTW items out there.

But at the end of the day, it's all irrelevant. Good clothes are a luxury good and are therefore a Veblen good. That means that their intrinsic value is in their exclusivity (in addition to quality and comfort, of course -- their exclusivity is often times (allegedly) derived from the quality, but not necessarily so). So, their price is determined by what the market is willing to pay. Their true cost does not matter. If they're overpriced, market demand will set that straight.

NORE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LowLifeClub

2. Good leather shoes
4. Leather

Agreed except peeps are willing to pay more for a great OTR fit whether it's cotton, denim, wool, etc.

bringusingoodale

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Metlin
First off, welcome. I must state that most of the denizens of this forum are perhaps less interested in fashion and more interested in classic style...
You are much too kind. OP had some good things, in fact I was inclined to give him a +1 until
This is wrong. I say this as someone who is in the process of switching from wearing jeans almost everyday to trousers almost everyday. Good luck trying to walk into a department store and find decent trousers (here I mean the cut, the quality, the fit). You are overpaying in the sense that you end up with ill fitting clothes, but if I can find something that fits, I wouldn't mind paying a premium. I am in the hunt of finding tailors right now who can copy some of my best fitting trousers.

landshark

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You've discovered the law of diminishing returns! Congratulations!

cioni2k

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
LowLifeClub, I think the problem you are having with this thread is you are describing most "Mall Brands" (aka Express, GAP, H&M, and whatever else there may be).

Stick around long enough and you'll find most people here on this forum avoid those brands like the plague. I suppose your comments are relevant to those brands..

Metlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bringusingoodale
You are much too kind.

OP had some good things, in fact I was inclined to give him a +1 until

This is wrong. I say this as someone who is in the process of switching from wearing jeans almost everyday to trousers almost everyday. Good luck trying to walk into a department store and find decent trousers (here I mean the cut, the quality, the fit). You are overpaying in the sense that you end up with ill fitting clothes, but if I can find something that fits, I wouldn't mind paying a premium.

I am in the hunt of finding tailors right now who can copy some of my best fitting trousers.

This is true. Shirts are much less of a problem when compared to trousers. While one can find a slew of options when it comes to well-fitted shirts, all the pants seem to be made for fat people. Even the slim fitting ones (and I say this someone who is in extremely good shape).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics