• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New to suits, input on jacket with no vents please

jhenson

Reaction score
I just got a suit for Christmas and it doesn't fit so I will have to exchange it. My question is about the jacket bc it has not vents, it is solid. Is this for the younger crowd or just a complete faux pas or what are you guys' recommendations on it?

yo!

Reaction score
Non-vented is a class 1 fail.

Golf_Nerd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pictures?

The_Foxx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In the end, double vents seem the best bet. They allow you to put your hand in your pocket, sit more comfortably, etc. I think if you get no vents, you'll regret it later.
smile.gif

See my 'signature' for more information, below.

Chouse

Reaction score
Originally Posted by The_Foxx
In the end, double vents seem the best bet. They allow you to put your hand in your pocket, sit more comfortably, etc. I think if you get no vents, you'll regret it later.
smile.gif

See my 'signature' for more information, below.

Your AV and signature don't match then
eh.gif

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Ventless suits are classic.

That said, it is all about personal preference. I have one such suit, and I bought it because I liked the color and fabric, despite not being vented.

Again though, there is nothing wrong with a ventless suit. You shouldn't be keeping your hands in your pockets anyway, and I assume you don't normally ride horses with your suit on?

Dolle Dolf

Reaction score
I have gone the ventless route in my custom suit adventures and have not regretted it one bit. I find a center vent unsightly as it reminds me of the butt crack that we all have. I don't like the rear flap that a side vent creates especially in a man with a relativelly well developed rear end (from squatting in the gym in my case). No vents for me!! (I do like being an old fashioned git sometimes too)

http://www.askandyaboutclothes.com/f...ad.php?t=47747

http://www.askandyaboutclothes.com/f...ad.php?t=72160

http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=52426

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Although I'm had a ventless suit jacket, I'm not a fan of ventless.

Mr. Darcy

Reaction score
The only ventless jacket I have is a sport coat (cord), which I rather like. I think it really is more of a personal opinion (as stated above).

Other then the one, the rest of my jackets are single vent, I do like the extra movement that comes from having a vent (regards of the number of said vents).

whusurdadi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
until 2 years ago I only wore ventless jackets - yes, I know, I was a dork...
but now, I can't stand even seeing them...they make me feel so uncomfortable and restricted...
side vents allows me to breath when the jacket's buttoned...

painter33

Reaction score
Vented or unvented is, of course, personal; however, there are design considerations the decision. An unvented jacket provides a cleaner line from shoulder to pant cuff, uninterrupted by little "wings" at the sides or a line at the bottom of the jacket that's perpendicular to the line between the jacket and trousers. Additionally and in regard to the hands-in-pockets matter, having one's hands in one's pockets connotes either idleness, discomfort, or boredom and in public none is a good projection. If in a casual moment one pockets one's hands, unbuttoning the jacket works best and renders moot the vented/ventless question. I personally fail to see a vented or unvented jacket as an out-of or in-fashion statement and believe that how one wears the suit be of prime importance, leaving the lapel width and button arrangement as t dating factor(s).

My current search is for a suit jacket that keeps the shoulder a natural flow from lapel to wrist without adding an angular or built-up look. A human shoulder is primarily comprised of the deltoid muscle, which is a rounded "cap" on top of the skeletal structure and musculature that lies beneath it. The jacket's shoulder should echo the deltoid rater than attempt to camouflage or change the shape by poking skyward through excessive padding. If I were financially able, I would design all of my clothing and not depend on others or "tradition" to dictate the cut of what I wear. Alas, I'm just a poor boy given to fantasy.

bowtielover

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No this is not common, most jackets will either have a center vent down the middle or two vents on the side. You will not see many people wearing ventless jackets. As far as weither to go with a 1 or 2 vent is entirely up to you and your own personal taste. I like the center vent, mainly because of how 2 fit on me but there is certainly nothing wrong with them.

mdg137

Reaction score
My order of preference:
2 vents
ventless
center vent

I greatly prefer ventless to center vent- enough so that I usually have the center vent closed on my jackets--

I concur about the streamlined appearance.

Timeless Fashion

Reaction score
Ventless jackets were traditionally used by Italian designers and many still stick to that tradition. I believe Giorgio Armani still has ventless suit jackets.

Roikins

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mdg137
My order of preference:
2 vents
ventless
center vent

I greatly prefer ventless to center vent- enough so that I usually have the center vent closed on my jackets--

I concur about the streamlined appearance.

+1 on that preference. I do have a few ventless jackets which are nice as they are more streamlined in appearance, but it definitely goes down to personal preference especially as a vent choice depends on your body style. Additionally, ventless jackets do seem to look better when they are tailored or MTM to your body as opposed to RTW or unaltered ventless jackets.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads