Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

New to suits and would like a second opinion.

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Duplici Fertili, Oct 17, 2012.

1. staxringold

staxringold Senior member

The first bar mitzvah I was invited to in middle school the invitation said "black tie". Turns out the kid told everybody at school that that wasn't actually true but me and one other kid (who didn't get the memo) showed up in tuxes and looked like doofuses.

2. Quadcammer

Quadcammer Senior member

quite frankly, I'd rather not attend events from hosts who cannot understand the meaning of formal.

3. Superfluous

Superfluous Senior member

I got a wedding invite that is "fairly formal," and they described it as men wearing suits....

4. Quadcammer

Quadcammer Senior member

precisely.

fairly formal /= formal

5. Superfluous

I'd say "fairly" is close to the term "moderately." "Moderately formal" would be a form of formal, right? I'm just saying that people have different understandings of formality.

6. gambit50

gambit50 Senior member

Yes, you do need a lot of help. That shirt is awful and you don't even deserve to return the shoes, they should just be burnt.(Would that be fake animal cruelty?)
    Unless you are a pimp which would explain the random paper lying around your photo.
    But in that case, those shoes would place you on a low rung of the pimp ladder and the bills would, too. They should be 50s and 100s.
    The pinstripe suit is not the worst thing and if it is darker that is better.
    In short, listen to everyone else above me.
    While my snobbery commiserates with you and it would be nice if the world had standard meanings and definitions so that every utterance was not the random intention of whomever at that moment(communication breaks down because of this) and that I could buy a pair of sneakers in the same size no matter the maker, I have to agree with FlyingMonkey in this case due to practicality. 'Most' people is a very large number and I can assure you they do not know the meanings or follow protocols as you do.
    Looking at the OP, do you really think this is going to be black tie?
    I do not.
    And I am quite sure you will never be on the list for this person's events so don't worry about that.
    I hope you are relieved.
    But in case you are, I expect pics of the fab bespoke dyed croc skin kicks you will be wearing to the event.

7. staxringold

staxringold Senior member

I actually like the tie. But yeah, the shirt is pretty bad. And I know nothing about shoes.

8. GBR

GBR Senior member

Burn the shoes - they are not suitable for anything. The tie is questionable. Pin stripe suits at a wedding are not ideal but if it is the only one you have few will notice and less care.

9. Superfluous

What about Halloween? It is coming up.

10. jeff13007

jeff13007 Senior member

Ill keep that in mind next time i get an invite from pretty much everyone i know besides the older generation lol. But back to topic on dress codes during my sisters wedding we had to change the dress code from "Formal" to "Black Tie" because in today's world its become pretty common to associate "Formal" with what we here on SF consider "Business attire". But then again if we are going by strict dress codes then Formal would be White tie, and semi formal meaning black tie.....

11. Singlemalt

Singlemalt Active Member

Nope. Sorry. What isn't up to discussion is what the majority view formal as. And unfortunately, it's a suit. Formal for the majority is not black tie/white tie/tux/no watch (because a gentlemen doesn't count the time at events like these, no?)/etc, it's...a simple suit, with a tie of course.

But I understand you, truly, I do. You're the guy in the pic below:

[​IMG]

And you're facing an uphill battle. Kudos to you though.

Good thing you got a defined dress criteria for your sister's wedding, Jeff.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2012

12. Duplici Fertili

Duplici Fertili New Member

I will be returning the shirt and will most likely be getting a blue one but I might just go with white to be on the safe side.

As for the shoes I will be returning them as well. I agree some plain oxfords are my best bet especially since I am just starting out.

I will have to work with the suit so any more suggestions on improving this outfit? I will upload a picture of the suit itself tomorrow. In hopes to settle the completely off-topic debate it is semi-formal so the blame comes down to me for not clarifying. Sorry guys! :)

13. Duplici Fertili

Duplici Fertili New Member

Please excuse the pictures. One of my first stops was at one of my retail stores in the entire back part it was the the cleanest bit. Poor pair of employees but it seems that I am too busy trying to figure out this suit mess to change them.

14. dreamspace

dreamspace Senior member

The vast,vast majority of people today know "Formal" as suit and tie.
    If they mean Tux, they either write "smoking/tuxedo" or "black tie". And even then, the later can also just mean "Dark suit and black tie or bowtie", I've experienced this countless times. Even showed up in Tux to a "Black tie"...turned out to be the only one in a Tux that night.

15. Jermyn

Jermyn Senior member

When exchanging the shirt, remember that more pale = more formal.
    Go for a very light blue shirt and pair this with a light grey/ silver tie.

Also, don't forget to wear a white, linen pocket square.

This along with your black oxfords (an matching black belt), will result in you being appropriately attired for a non-black tie wedding.