• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New to selvage / raw denim: GAP selvage / raw denim opinions wanted please.

michaeljohnr

Reaction score
Hello,

I am completely new to selvage denim / raw denim and it really appeals to me.

While out shopping yesterday in the Princeton NJ GAP, I tried a pair of GAP 1969 slim fit selvage jeans and the fit was spot on for me. Slightly long because apparently GAP includes the cuff in the inseam measurement, but I'd wear these cuffed anyway or can always have them taken up slightly in the future.

If you view the link, the color on my pair is more deep blue/black than the almost greyish hue shown on the GAP site.

They were originally $90, marked down to $64 with an additional 40% off that for a total of $38 so I though it a no brainer to see what they were about.

I wanted to ask for opinions here. Searching through the archives, I noted some older opinions on the GAP Japanese raw denim but these are obviously not that. I also figure GAP raw denim is not the type to shrink greatly when it is eventually washed down the road because people buying it would return the jeans and GAP might not want to deal with that potential loss.

I'd appreciate any opinions, good, bad, or ugly as I can always return them if they are not really a high quality item. I know high quality is relative, but before I head out and spend >$100 on raw denim, I thought I'd get my feet wet slowly and for the price I thought I'd give it a try.

(My icon photo is the selvage on the jeans I purchased.)

Thanks in advance for the replies, I appreciate it.

size 38R

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some of the Classic menswear guys love denim too, as it has been a men's staple for over a hundred years.
satisfied.gif

not much more classic than that.

Gap selvedge are nice fitting, comfortable jeans. i wear some when working outdoors, (why ruin a suit?)
they are good for wearing as staple jeans. enjoy them.

and then ask around for brands to look for.
like :

SugarCane
Studio D'artisan
Kaminari
Iron heart
Flat head
Levi's - the better ones.
Replay
G- star. (yeah i said it, they are comfortable)
there are others............

wear them with the right shirt, shoes.etc. no doubt they belong here.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads