• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New to premium jeans - care question

Zhivyetz

Reaction score
Today I bought a discounted pair of Diesel Karatt's, marking my first foray into finer denim. The problem is, I'm pretty clueless as to when/how to wash them. I've read about people waiting for months before the first wash, is this pretty standard? And what about subsequent washes? Also can I just toss em in a regular load of laundry or is there some special method to it?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Brian SD

Reaction score
The problem is, I'm pretty clueless as to when/how to wash them.

Wear them for as long as you want, really. I advise washing them as soon as they feel unclean.

I've read about people waiting for months before the first wash, is this pretty standard?

People do this because it creates a sort of contrast on the denim if you delay the washing. However, it is only really noticeable on denim where the indigo has not already been washed and blasted and sandpapered, namely, really dark (almost black) jeans. I am assuming that your Diesel jeans have already undergone some treatment. Do they have whiskers and fading on them alredy? If so, there's no sense in waiting extreme amounts of time to wash them.

And what about subsequent washes?

Same rule as above. Wash 'em when they feel like they need a wash. Can be after one wearing or after ten.

Also can I just toss em in a regular load of laundry or is there some special method to it?

To keep them looking nice and the color closest to its original state, it's best to wash them only with other jeans, and a detergent that doesn't have bleach (or a bleach alternative) in it. Woolite Dark is my preference. You can also use a vegetable-based castille soap, such as Dr. Bronner's, which is truly mild. A cold wash is mandatory, and it's best to hang dry them instead of throwing them in the dryer.

tweedlesinpink

Reaction score
Please don't toss them with the rest of your laundry. They'll bleed to death on your other clothes.

Okay, so that was commonsense...haha.

Luc-Emmanuel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yesterday I threw one of my son's white bodysuit with my raw 1947. It's now a light blue bodysuit
wink.gif

!luc

Reaction score
Do turn your jeans inside out in the wash. Diesels often have painted arcuates and it will preserve the razzle-dazzle.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads