• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New (to me) Oxxford overcoat. Critique fit for tailor tomorrow!

604Coast

Reaction score
Good evening guys, I received my new (to me) Oxxford overcoat this weekend from B&S through Raoul Duke (who is a phenomenal seller). I feel the fit in shoulders, chest, and sleeve length is spot on. However I think there needs to be some serious waist suppression (especially near side pocket area), a slight shortening of coat length, and I'm wondering what else you guys could recommend. I'm a 40R, 34 waist, fairly athletic build. I think the worst part of the fit is the way the hip region looks so large. Also I'm wondering of the sleeves could use perhaps a slight thinning? I'm planning on taking the coat to my tailor tomorrow to be altered so all comments and suggestions are very much appreciated. On to the pics: First set of pics shows coat over just a t-shirt Unbuttoned-
Oxxford001-1.jpg
Oxxford002-1.jpg
Oxxford003-1.jpg
Oxxford005-1.jpg
Oxxford006-1.jpg
Oxxford007-1.jpg
These pics show coat over t-shirt and suit jacket
Oxxford008-1.jpg
Oxxford009-1.jpg
Oxxford011-1.jpg
Oxxford010-1.jpg
Thanks for your time guys, look forward to the responses. Big thanks to Raoul Duke again for such a great coat. Cheers, S.

CunningSmeagol

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If that last photo is at all representative of how the coat fits over a jacket, then it has a short front balance. However, it looks like you might just need to pull it up against your neck.

604Coast

Reaction score
I think you're right that I didn't have it pulled up against my neck fully. Any other comments guys?

Reaction score
The fit is fine. Save your money. It is an overcoat after all.

wetnose

Reaction score
It could do with some slimming on the sides, all the way down to knees. Everything else appears fine.

604Coast

Reaction score
I agree it feels bulky in the sides, am I crazy to think it could be shortened perhaps 1/2-1"? I feel like the coat wears me instead of me wearing the coat at this point.

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by 604Coast
I agree it feels bulky in the sides, am I crazy to think it could be shortened perhaps 1/2-1"? I feel like the coat wears me instead of me wearing the coat at this point.

Nah, it's fine. It hits right at your knee, which is perfectly normal for an overcoat. As for what's wearing who, you just need to get used to wearing it.

As for the slimness, it does have a noticeable shape. You don't need to slim it. Especally considering how you'll be wearing it over several layers.

Really, save your money. It fits well.

Mac

Reaction score
I'd take in the sides—as said above and also the chest if it can be. It will turn a good overcoat into a great one. Remember to go to the tailor wearing your shirt and suit under the overcoat though, so you can get an accurate representation of how it should fit.

Dewey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Remember to find a legitimate tailor to do this work. The single mom at the dry cleaners may not do too many jobs like this. Unless you have a quality tailor that you trust to do more than hem pants, shorten sleeves, and sew on buttons, assume there is some risk -- amateur alterations can destroy more than improve.

Rick's Tailoring

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I may be wrong, but it looks as thought the back was already taken in a bit, and they even moved the front buttons to get a slimmer cut (and the may be a .5 inch too high). First, have the button moved back to there original position. That is why the bottom of the coat sits funny when buttoned, and i think it might also explain the bulging pockets.

604Coast

Reaction score
Interesting, I was wondering why the buttons seemed a bit too far over. I will definitely discuss that with my tailor. I have good faith in my tailor that he will be able to do this, he's been tailoring probably twice as long as I've been alive. Thanks for the comments so far guys, very helpful.

ChicagoMediaMan

Reaction score
A picture with the overcoast buttoned over your suit jacket would be the most accurate way to tell if it fits. I don't see how un-buttoned pictures really do us much good except to see if the shoulders fit or something.

Staatsoper

Reaction score
Originally Posted by 604Coast
Interesting, I was wondering why the buttons seemed a bit too far over. I will definitely discuss that with my tailor. I have good faith in my tailor that he will be able to do this, he's been tailoring probably twice as long as I've been alive. Thanks for the comments so far guys, very helpful.

The buttons aren't too far over, don't mess with 'em--that's a classic style for overcoats, to make sure the front closure has plenty of overlap to keep cold air out. I have two coats that are just the same.

bleachboy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm with the No Need To Take It To The Tailor crowd.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads