• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New to forums and would love some advice (Black Suit)

hapyhar0ld

Reaction score
Hello. I am very green to the forums (just found out about you guys today) and am interested in some input. I've been looking at posts all day and it seems like I might be doing several things incorrectly. Let me give you a little background.

I am getting married on July 8th and my fiance and I have decided to go a little less formal than a tuxedo for myself. I decided on a Joseph Abboud black suit from Men's Warehouse (I know. I know. Go easy on me). A white John W. Nordstrom white shirt and a John W. Nordstrom red tie. I still need to go buy shoes (thinking about Allen Edmonds) and a belt. It is $600 for the suit (with a buy one get one free) $75 for tie and $75 for shirt. Do you think I could do better? Let me know and thank you for the input.

Ich_Dien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Much better, keep an eye on Buying and Selling.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Just wondering why you are avoiding the classic tux option for your wedding?

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Somewhat fashion forward:

The mini-tic will save it from ignominy.

Brooks Brothers also carries a black suit in that price range if you want to use a place that will alter it for you.

- B

hapyhar0ld

Reaction score
Originally Posted by MetroStyles
Just wondering why you are avoiding the classic tux option for your wedding?
Two reasons. 1. The fiance says so. 2. This is my first suit and we felt I can wear this multiple times (for different occasions) as opposed to the tux. I live in Bellingham, WA (about 100 miles from Seattle). Can you guys recommend something else? I really have no idea what I'm doing here.

Finsen

Reaction score
Is black suit a must for your wedding? Where will your wedding be? Since it's in July, maybe you can consider doing a seersucker suit instead? Or if you are going with dark suit, maybe a dark navy?

I would go with a navy suit, since it's more versatile than black.

There are much better options out there in the $600 range than Men's Warehouse. Putting 600 dollars on a suit from Men's Warehouse is so not worth it, it's a waste.

hapyhar0ld

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Finsen
Is black suit a must for your wedding? Where will your wedding be? Since it's in July, maybe you can consider doing a seersucker suit instead? Or if you are going with dark suit, maybe a dark navy? I would go with a navy suit, since it's more versatile than black. There are much better options out there in the $600 range than Men's Warehouse. Putting 600 dollars on a suit from Men's Warehouse is so not worth it, it's a waste.
I prefer a black suit. We still want to keep it semi formal. It's going to be in the Venetian in Vegas
smile.gif
(her idea). I thought about seersucker or just a cotton suit, but again since it's my first suit I figured I'd stick with wool just so I could wear it for other occasions (other weddings, funerals, ect) than just one time. I know $600 is a little on the high side, but since it's buy one get one free I'm really only paying $300! Is Joseph Abboud really that bad of a suit? They have CK as well...The problem is the location I live I either have Men's Warehouse or Macys to choose from. It's really brutal. The other way I could go is Nordstroms and they have a Hickey Freeman, but it's $1400!

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yeah, I asked that question because I assumed you wanted something you were not only going to wear once. Black is not a very good suit color for most occasions. +1 on charcoal or navy.

hapyhar0ld

Reaction score
Originally Posted by MetroStyles
Yeah, I asked that question because I assumed you wanted something you were not only going to wear once. Black is not a very good suit color for most occasions. +1 on charcoal or navy.
No you're absolutely right. I was going to get one in Black and then one in Charcoal
smile.gif
since I get the buy one get one free. But in regards to the brand. Are they that poor of quality?

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm a fan of charcoal rather than black.

TexasLidig8r

Reaction score
Originally Posted by hapyhar0ld
Two reasons.
1. The fiance says so.

Harold.. Harold.. Harold.... I don't mean to be the resident penis on this site (and certainly I'm not... others hold that distinction!).. BUT...

Harold.. how many times are you going to wear a suit in your life? As for me.. it has been thousands of times. It may be that way for you too.

How many times are you going to get married in your life? If you're lucky.. only once. As such, you want something to remember that day by... the wedding cake will be long gone... the ceremony a distant memory.. but.. what she looked like.. and what you look like.. could.. and should linger.

Stand up for yourself man! As you age, you will wear a tux to other occasions as well.. but that day.. that one special day must live on.

Go with a tux! A white dinner jacket if you must (oh.. it's not really white).

When she walks down the aisle (or down the row of slot machines.. whichever).. and she sees you for the first time, you want her to go.. "WOW."

A suit doesn't cut it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads