• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New to forums and would love some advice (Black Suit)

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
There should be a few nice tuxes at the Hickey Freeman sale some time in May. Probably $300-$400 for something that retails at $1200+.

CharlesAlexander

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TexasLidig8r
Harold.. Harold.. Harold.... I don't mean to be the resident penis on this site (and certainly I'm not... others hold that distinction!).. BUT...

Harold.. how many times are you going to wear a suit in your life? As for me.. it has been thousands of times. It may be that way for you too.

How many times are you going to get married in your life? If you're lucky.. only once. As such, you want something to remember that day by... the wedding cake will be long gone... the ceremony a distant memory.. but.. what she looked like.. and what you look like.. could.. and should linger.

Stand up for yourself man! As you age, you will wear a tux to other occasions as well.. but that day.. that one special day must live on.

Go with a tux! A white dinner jacket if you must (oh.. it's not really white).

When she walks down the aisle (or down the row of slot machines.. whichever).. and she sees you for the first time, you want her to go.. "WOW."

A suit doesn't cut it.

wow, well said.

hapyhar0ld

Reaction score
Originally Posted by MetroStyles
There should be a few nice tuxes at the Hickey Freeman sale some time in May. Probably $300-$400 for something that retails at $1200+.
Hurray! That sounds like my type of place. Where does this sale take place? Is it a place I have to go to, or is it off their website? Seriously though. You guys are great and have given me a lot to think about. I have to log off for a little while, but I'll be back on tonight. Some more thoughts on what else to get (other than a tux) would be great. Thanks fellas!

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CharlesAlexander
wow, well said.

Hmmm...I might be old fashioned but I would rather see a groom in a suit than in black tie.

Even if it is a black suit.

- B

Xiaogou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
Hmmm...I might be old fashioned but I would rather see a groom in a suit than in black tie.

Even if it is a black suit.

- B

Vox,

You should write "The Definitive thread on Black Suits" and have it stickied!

JohnGalt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Harold,

I'm in a similar situation to you - I'm getting married next month and we decided to go a little more casual.

My tux took me quite a while to find and I purchased it just about a month ago. I picked up my tie and shirt last week and shoes came in today. Still trying to find a vest.

Moral of the story: you have time, so you can wait a little bit until you find something that is just right - don't rush.

Mentos

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Xiaogou
Vox,

You should write "The Definitive thread on Black Suits" and have it stickied!

I think we took care of this like three years ago.

JibranK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TexasLidig8r
Harold.. Harold.. Harold.... I don't mean to be the resident penis on this site (and certainly I'm not... others hold that distinction!).. BUT... Harold.. how many times are you going to wear a suit in your life? As for me.. it has been thousands of times. It may be that way for you too. How many times are you going to get married in your life? If you're lucky.. only once. As such, you want something to remember that day by... the wedding cake will be long gone... the ceremony a distant memory.. but.. what she looked like.. and what you look like.. could.. and should linger. Stand up for yourself man! As you age, you will wear a tux to other occasions as well.. but that day.. that one special day must live on. Go with a tux! A white dinner jacket if you must (oh.. it's not really white). When she walks down the aisle (or down the row of slot machines.. whichever).. and she sees you for the first time, you want her to go.. "WOW." A suit doesn't cut it.
I disagree entirely. Dinner wear, whether black tie or white tie is not suitable wedding wear. It is fine for a evening reception party, but certainly not for the wedding itself. A lounge suit is far more suitable.

TGPlastic

Reaction score
Aw yeah, you want to get the tux with tails and a top hat.

hapyhar0ld

Reaction score
Originally Posted by TGPlastic

I don't know if you're kidding or not, but I can assure you I would look ridiculous with a top hat...

g-double

Reaction score
Harold,

I used to live in Bellingham, and while the choices there are highly limited head down to Lynnwood and hit up the Nordstroms Rack. If you can't find something there you can try the Rack down in Seattle, on 2nd Ave. Also, once down in Seattle there are always thrift, consignment and men's stores that would enhance your chances of finding something you like. If you can, I'd go down during the day on a week day before it gets too warm and the city gets flooded w/ tourists.

Best of luck, enjoy the NW and congrats on the forthcoming wedding.

G

JibranK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TGPlastic
A "tux," as you say, does not have tails.

contaygious

Reaction score
If you are buying a suit to wear again, why buy black? You won't wear it again or at least you shouldn't! Dark grey all the way.

pbc

Reaction score
Originally Posted by hapyhar0ld
I prefer a black suit. We still want to keep it semi formal. It's going to be in the Venetian in Vegas
smile.gif
(her idea). I thought about seersucker or just a cotton suit, but again since it's my first suit I figured I'd stick with wool just so I could wear it for other occasions (other weddings, funerals, ect) than just one time. I know $600 is a little on the high side, but since it's buy one get one free I'm really only paying $300! Is Joseph Abboud really that bad of a suit? They have CK as well...The problem is the location I live I either have Men's Warehouse or Macys to choose from.

My contribution, your opinion may vary:

1. Read this article on wedding attire. You can't go wrong if you follow it.

2. This is your (plural) wedding, not just your bride's.
I know the common opinion is that it is her day, but it isn't. It should be for both of you, from the planning to the ceremony to the reception. Why should she pick your clothes? You are both adults. You should both have input and neither dictate the other's clothes. You decide together what style and level of formality the wedding will have. Too often, the groom is treated like the hired help, only his input is less requested. The groom is not supposed to be an afterthought.

3. Match the bride in formality.
If she purchases a dedicated wedding gown and is very formal, it is odd to have the groom in a business suit. This happens so often. Her concern for the investment is valid, but do you both feel the same about her dress? If she is dressed more casually, please use a business suit. If she is dressed to the nines, you should be, too.

4. Match the bride in style.
Your Star Trek uniform doesn't go with her Victorian gown, even if they are both considered "very formal."

5. Please refrain from matching ties/cummerbunds/shoes/etc. with the bridesmaid dresses.
This is a grown up event, let everyone dress like an adult and remember that large expenditures for the wedding party to look the same is tacky all around. Get the men simple boutonnieres (use a single flower, not a lapel arrangement) and similar (not identical) ties. Very classy, very simple, wedding party still distinguished. If you use black tie, make sure it is black tie (and black cummerbund, black shoes, white shirt, etc.).

6. Dress at least one level up from your invited guests.
If they will likely show up in chinos and polo shirts, wear at least tan suits. If they wear sportcoats and suits, go for dark suits with white shirts. This is a special day, dress accordingly.

7. What time of day will it be held?
Black and white tie are evening wear (after 6pm) and have corresponding daytime equivalents - called a morning half dress (sometimes called a stroller) and full morning dress. There is leeway for weddings held at 4:30 or so since festivities will likely last far into the night.

Many forum members, including me, are not fans of black suits except at funerals. Black suits increase solemnity but do not necessarily increase formality. ("Semi formal" has a precise meaning to most here that means either black tie or morning half dress, so in that respect they would not be semi formal, either.) Pick a great wedding tie, french cuff shirt, classic boutonniere and pocket square to set the formality. In this case, you are purchasing a suit for future use. For that I say definitely avoid a black suit. If you are getting two for the price of one, get one navy and one charcoal and you will be in excellent shape for any occasion, including your wedding. For variety, make one of them double-breasted. You are right to leave seersucker to some future purchase.

Let us know what you decide.
pbc

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads