• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New to forum

rodensito

Reaction score
Hello all,

I am new to the forum, i some how stumbled upon it. After reading some of the threads, i immediately registered.

i like to dress nice and am glad there is a community out there with very good fashion advice.

i am a recent engineering graduate and am finally making some money. the first 6 months at my firm dressed up compared to everyone else. it was not expensive clothes but i pulled the outfit together with nice accessories. i wore coordinated ties with my shirts. some of the guys teased me about it so i started dressing down because i wanted to fit into the group. I have now realized, i should dress they way i want. Mind you, most engineers at my firm sometimes wear white socks with their dress shoes.

i am still in the college mind set. I was very tight on money and only bought clothes if they were on sale.

i went shopping and had 5 shirts in hand that were on sale, then it dawned on me... these are not the shirts i really want... why would i buy 5 cheap shirts that didn't fit the way i wanted them to just because they were on sale?

i am slowly changing my college mindset. I ordered my first set on french cuff shirts and am slowly going to build up a wardrobe i like.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Sup!

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ahh, fellow engineer! Being one is a sartorial torture. People sometimes ask me why I dress the way I do in my free time. Well... It's because I can't wear more than slacks/shirt at work and what am I supposed to do with all the tailored jackets I've spent thousands on?

rodensito

Reaction score
ace, i feel your pain... i get my shirts tomorrow... so i will be ready to explain why i am dressed up on Monday.

i am going cuff link shopping this weekend. hopefully i don't get carried away.

George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rodensito
Hello all, I am new to the forum, i some how stumbled upon it. After reading some of the threads, i immediately registered. i like to dress nice and am glad there is a community out there with very good fashion advice. i am a recent engineering graduate and am finally making some money. the first 6 months at my firm dressed up compared to everyone else. it was not expensive clothes but i pulled the outfit together with nice accessories. i wore coordinated ties with my shirts. some of the guys teased me about it so i started dressing down because i wanted to fit into the group. I have now realized, i should dress they way i want. Mind you, most engineers at my firm sometimes wear white socks with their dress shoes. i am still in the college mind set. I was very tight on money and only bought clothes if they were on sale. i went shopping and had 5 shirts in hand that were on sale, then it dawned on me... these are not the shirts i really want... why would i buy 5 cheap shirts that didn't fit the way i wanted them to just because they were on sale? i am slowly changing my college mindset. I ordered my first set on french cuff shirts and am slowly going to build up a wardrobe i like.
Which branch of engineering...?

epa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rodensito
i am slowly changing my college mindset. I ordered my first set on french cuff shirts and am slowly going to build up a wardrobe i like.
Hi. My advice (from a fellow engineer, although now more into legal stuff than engineering): take the "slowly" part serios. My experience is that with time, your style will "mature" and if you get a lot of stuff at the beginning, after some time you will regret a lot of the purchases. Take your time: once you have the basic stuff, reduce the pace, buy one thing at a time, and stop to check what you really feel about it before moving on. Just my advice after going through what may have been a similar process. Good luck with your.

bellyhungry

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As an engineer new to the workforce, aim to wear quality and well-tailored clothes that fit well first and foremost rather than trying to be fashionable.

EZETHATSME

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum.

Good lesson on the shirts - I've found it better in the long run to pay more for one item that fits perfect (perhaps having it altered) than for several on sale that end up not being what I like.

Take your time, read old threads, look through the "What Are You Wearing Right Now" thread for ideas that you might like (or dislike...) The place is a great source of info. Don't start new threads without doing a good search for previous threads on the same topic, or you'll get snark (rightfully so.)

Most of all, enjoy what money you have now, because you'll soon be poor like the rest of us, having spent it all on clothes.

EZ

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good advice ^^. Also, look into made to measure shirts. I've strayed from ready to wear shirts altogether after discovering moderntailor.com. It's much easier to pay $50 for a perfectly fitting shirt than to hunt for well fitting shirts in the stores or online.

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
welcome and
take heart, even the good stuff goes on sale. keep your eyes open.

johnvw

Reaction score
Welcome aboard, and all the best in the "real world."

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
only buy it if you LOVE it. there's always another shirt, tie, suit, etc out there. If it's "meh" but on sale, skip it. if you wouldn't pay full price, then pass.

w.o.e.is.me.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by epa
Hi. My advice (from a fellow engineer, although now more into legal stuff than engineering): take the "slowly" part serios. My experience is that with time, your style will "mature" and if you get a lot of stuff at the beginning, after some time you will regret a lot of the purchases. Take your time: once you have the basic stuff, reduce the pace, buy one thing at a time, and stop to check what you really feel about it before moving on. Just my advice after going through what may have been a similar process. Good luck with your.

sound advice.

rodensito

Reaction score
epa, thanks for the advice

george, i am a civil engineer.

teddieriley, yes i would like a cookie

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads