• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New to forum new to style!

Reaction score
Hey guys new and just learning about all this stuff. I always had an eye for nice things but my eye was always bigger than my wallet. I'm getting older and thinking I should invest in some nice dress clothes. Even if its just to play dress up and go out at night for upscale events. The problem is I dont want to buy a cheap suit to play dress up for events. If I want to go out and look nice I want something good. Unfortunately I went out and tried stuff on, I found out what I like is way out of my price range and even then I was settling. I hope this doesnt sound bad but I just want a nice suit that makes me look like I step off a shoot of Boston Legal (Denny Crane!) or Replacing Mr. Colbert, or what Barney Stenson wears from How I met your mother. I'm willing to save and wait and am in no rush.
smile.gif

I Prefer a Italian cut over the Trad thing, though I love trad tweeds. And dont like the lose but fitted American style. I want the V, you know. Unless its a tweed ofcourse. I dont have anything against the Trad thing, it just doesnt look good on me the tweeds or different, for some reason I can get away with those. Plus I hate loafers with tassles! I hate tassles! Unless it on a wrestler then its Boss!

So anyway I prefer BB Regeant or Millano over the Fitz, BB is the most experience I have with good or as I found out quality suits. Mainly because its the only decent suit store in my area that I know of. So its the only thing I can try on and look at. Unfortunately the clerks, though nice seemed not to be very knowledgeable. Outside of Jos A Banks are good (no no their not not in the same breath of Zenga, Kiton, Boroni, or a Real Valentino). They just sat their when I asked their opinions on different brands and what to look for in quality. Pick stitching and the like they had no idea.

I've been looking at Hickey Freemen and Oxfords for tweeds, and the Boroni's online they are nice, the M Valentino look's good but I dont know anything about them or were the fall Quality wise in comparsion to Golden Fleece or Polo Black, pretty far down I would imagine for the price but you never know. I like to get the most for my money, clearance, sales, thrift I'm a cheap bastard. But a cheap bastard that likes quality things and reads labels.

If anyone could lend a hand in pointing me to good threads for advice on cuts and brands for someone starting out. Especially for the style I'm looking for Trad info seems to be a breeze to find but others not so much. Is there a opposite to trad?

I already know of sierra Trading and Nordstrom online.

Also I'm in a wheelchair so would be sitting most if not all the time. That may make a difference in what I should look for. Again I'm a newbie. I've only been reading for a few days. And have zero knowledge before hand other than "Brooks Good, Macy's bad."

And if anyone knows of a good tailor in the north Charlotte NC area I'll be there soon and would like to find one once I get there. Thanks For all the help guys!

I think I wrote too much sorry!

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BlueNoteImpulse
Hey guys new and just learning about all this stuff. I always had an eye for nice things but my eye was always bigger than my wallet. I'm getting older and thinking I should invest in some nice dress clothes. Even if its just to play dress up and go out at night for upscale events. The problem is I dont want to buy a cheap suit to play dress up for events. If I want to go out and look nice I want something good. Unfortunately I went out and tried stuff on, I found out what I like is way out of my price range and even then I was settling. I hope this doesnt sound bad but I just want a nice suit that makes me look like I step off a shoot of Boston Legal (Denny Crane!) or Replacing Mr. Colbert, or what Barney Stenson wears from How I met your mother. I'm willing to save and wait and am in no rush.
smile.gif

I Prefer a Italian cut over the Trad thing, though I love trad tweeds. And dont like the lose but fitted American style. I want the V, you know. Unless its a tweed ofcourse. I dont have anything against the Trad thing, it just doesnt look good on me the tweeds or different, for some reason I can get away with those. Plus I hate loafers with tassles! I hate tassles! Unless it on a wrestler then its Boss!

So anyway I prefer BB Regeant or Millano over the Fitz, BB is the most experience I have with good or as I found out quality suits. Mainly because its the only decent suit store in my area that I know of. So its the only thing I can try on and look at. Unfortunately the clerks, though nice seemed not to be very knowledgeable. Outside of Jos A Banks are good (no no their not not in the same breath of Zenga, Kiton, Boroni, or a Real Valentino). They just sat their when I asked their opinions on different brands and what to look for in quality. Pick stitching and the like they had no idea.

I've been looking at Hickey Freemen and Oxfords for tweeds, and the Boroni's online they are nice, the M Valentino look's good but I dont know anything about them or were the fall Quality wise in comparsion to Golden Fleece or Polo Black, pretty far down I would imagine for the price but you never know. I like to get the most for my money, clearance, sales, thrift I'm a cheap bastard. But a cheap bastard that likes quality things and reads labels.

If anyone could lend a hand in pointing me to good threads for advice on cuts and brands for someone starting out. Especially for the style I'm looking for Trad info seems to be a breeze to find but others not so much. Is there a opposite to trad?

I already know of sierra Trading and Nordstrom online.

Also I'm in a wheelchair so would be sitting most if not all the time. That may make a difference in what I should look for. Again I'm a newbie. I've only been reading for a few days. And have zero knowledge before hand other than "Brooks Good, Macy's bad."

And if anyone knows of a good tailor in the north Charlotte NC area I'll be there soon and would like to find one once I get there. Thanks For all the help guys!

I think I wrote too much sorry!

You did!!!

OttoSkadelig

Reaction score
Originally Posted by BlueNoteImpulse

So anyway I prefer BB Regeant or Millano over the Fitz, BB is the most experience I have with good or as I found out quality suits. Mainly because its the only decent suit store in my area that I know of. So its the only thing I can try on and look at. Unfortunately the clerks, though nice seemed not to be very knowledgeable. Outside of Jos A Banks are good (no no their not not in the same breath of Zenga, Kiton, Boroni, or a Real Valentino). They just sat their when I asked their opinions on different brands and what to look for in quality.

yeah, no kidding.

Bhowie

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
New to style. Check
New to forum. Check
New to styleforum?

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies sorry about the length. I Don't have anyone to chat about this stuff with so it kind of came out all at once. I was thinking of doing some thrift shopping for vintage stuff any opinions? I like the idea of wearing something with history. As long as its clean of course. To kill the itch to buy something, till I save up for a real good new suit.

holymadness

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The wheelchair aspect is interesting. It essentially means that:

Your jacket will be open all the time so there's not much need for waist suppression.
Your legs will always be bent so you don't need to worry about perfect break on your pants.
You don't walk anywhere so you'll never wear out your shoes.

I'm half jealous.

You might want to look for fabrics that don't wrinkle much given you'll be sitting on them all day.

Reaction score
Holymadness,

Thanks, one reason I like the italian cut, it fits close even when worn open, so there's less worry about it dragging against a wheel or in the spokes of the chair. My rule on open or close is if I'm on the move or during Introduction I wear it closed and sit extra straight. If I'm in a meeting or at a desk I'll open it, or just relaxed as well.

Your right about the wrinkle thing to top it off when I'm not in the chair I'm crouched with my calf rested against the back of my thigh. Esp getting ready, bathrooms are small. Which make wrinkles ten times worst. I stayed away from kahkis for years due to that. Dress pants or jeans that was it. Luckly most of what I do is from home so never needed to dress up outside court stuff, weddings and the like. So what good fabrics should I avoid and look for to prevent wrinkles?

JensenH

Reaction score
Welcome and brace yourself for some snark. But if you are are thick-skinned enough, you will indeed learn quite alot here.

Have you tried the search function to look for topics that interest you?

Master Squirrel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JensenH
Welcome and brace yourself for some snark. But if you are are thick-skinned enough, you will indeed learn quite alot here.

Snark? Mois?

matthusky9

Reaction score
Hey I am Matt Husky and I am new to style forum, though I am getting acquainted with style forum.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Most of you should be embarrassed about the way you're treating someone who is obviously making an honest and sincere first post.

to the OP:

My main focus in your case would be on shoulder fit, and patterns. Your shoulder and collar fit are going to be most important, along with sleeve length.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads