• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New to "drinking"

kingnor

Reaction score
Hey guys.. I'm new here, but this forum got me thinking about drinks. I've never been a drinker, which I'm now realizing is a social annoyance to most people. I have never had anything against drinking, I'd just opt out. Well it bugs me now when go out drinking my friends will ask for something, but i have to just be like "uh.. a beer?" because I don't even know where to start. What are some normal, 'every bar' drinks someone can ask for with out sounding like an idiot? anyway hello and maybe i'll be more stylish because of this forum!
bounce2.gif
p.s. dont' say Bacardi and Cola, those commercials are terrible.
tongue.gif

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Some typical dude choices would be:

Beer: Stella
Hard liquor: Vodka tonic, Rum & Coke, etc. Keep it mixed for now instead of straight up since it's clear you aren't a huge drinker yet.

If you don't like drinking, don't be pressured into it though. That's a stupid reason to start.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I would just chug a liter of Evan Williams, that should get you acquainted pretty quickly.

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MetroStyles
If you don't like drinking, don't be pressured into it though. That's a stupid reason to start.

+1

dont start just because you feel the need to fit in.

i found out in general that people dont really reject you if you dont drink, but dont mind and can actually just respect your choice.
i feel maybe it is something else that is being conveyed off of you in association to your choice to not drink in a way that is making others react a bit negatively.

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Don't be afraid to just have what someone else is having and just experiment. Long Island is another good one if you're starting out.

It takes a while to figure out what you're more inclined to drink repeatedly. Don't rush it.

Spatlese

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MetroStyles
Some typical dude choices would be:

Beer: Stella
Hard liquor: Vodka tonic, Rum & Coke, etc. Keep it mixed for now instead of straight up since it's clear you aren't a huge drinker yet.

I agree with these drinks, you should add gin and tonics. And I equally agree that if you don't like or want to drink, don't start now.

The Wayfarer

Reaction score
Gin and tonic is always a good starting point for a novice. Classy, timeless, and tasty

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sho'nuff
+1 i feel maybe it is something else that is being conveyed off of you in association to your choice to not drink in a way that is making others react a bit negatively.
+1 I'm not a big drinker, but something of a connoisseur. So spirits, wine, and cocktails are something I take serious interest in. Yet most of my friends, for whatever reason, don't drink. I've never looked down on them -- they are confident in their choice and drink any number of other things when we're out.
Originally Posted by whodini
Don't be afraid to just have what someone else is having and just experiment. Long Island is another good one if you're starting out. It takes a while to figure out what you're more inclined to drink repeatedly. Don't rush it.
Yeah I wouldn't really suggest a Long Island -- it has too many kinds of spirits, is fussy, and sounds rather frat-boyish, especially if ordered pensively. Any real option for you should be one with a mixer, and be simple. Gin & tonic is a good choice, actually has some flavor and doesn't sound lame to order. Crown Royal and Ginger ale is also non-frumpy, and if they don't have Crown, Canadian Club (just called 'CC') and ginger will serve. I think they are more elegant than <whatever> and Coke, and have some taste as opposed to vodka & tonic. All that said, I'm never, ever in favor of changing a behavior that is perfectly acceptable for one that carries some risks merely for the sake of social 'fitting in.' If you can't fit in with people who drink, 1) examine yourself to see if it's not the drinking, and if you pass that test, 2) get better friends. ~ Huntsman

Lucky7

Reaction score
Before you know it everyone on here will have you drinking top shelf scotch. Depending on the type of atmosphere or what type of mood you are in. I'll agree with the gin + tonic. Eventually you will have a preferred type of gin, but don't be afraid to experiment. Please as Hunstman has stated stay away from Long Islands..they are a frat house staple.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't see how it's possible to have a social life as a young professional without drinking. Happy hours, dates, whatever pretty much all require it.

'Hey, want to go out for drinks some time?'

'We're gonna tailgate Sunday. You in?'

'I'm Connemara and I'd like to roofie your...water?'

IUtoSLU

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'll add to the gin &amp; tonic pile.

Lucky7

Reaction score
Originally Posted by why
I don't see how it's possible to have a social life as a young professional without drinking. Happy hours, dates, whatever pretty much all require it.

'Hey, want to go out for drinks some time?'

'We're gonna tailgate Sunday. You in?'

'I'm Connemara and I'd like to roofie your...water?'

I'll agree. It's crazy really if you think about how much social events revolve around drinking.

Jayhawk1412

Reaction score
Here's a list of some more drinks which you can order at a bar/club/social gathering.

Beer: Hef, Stella, ESB

Mixed Drinks: Gin &amp; Tonic, Vodka Tonic, Rum &amp; Coke, AMF (Adios Motherf*cker), Screwdriver, Vodka Cran (girly drink)

Shots: Buttery Nipple, Duck Fart, Washington Apple, Liquid Cocaine, Appreciation Star or of course ask them for a shot of top shelf tequila (Patron)

Theres some good stuff to get you started.

rioni

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Now is a good time to stop drinking before if becomes a habit.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads