• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New to "drinking"

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Using Technology
ummm.... are you recommending asking the bartender what's "on special" for beer? What kind of bars have beers on special?
Pretty much all of them, dumbass. This is in a bar setting...not at a restaurant (ie. 'going drinking'). And don't ask for specials for food dishes. The server will always say what they are for the night.

MCsommerreid

Reaction score
Sorry bro, most bars don't have beer specials. Maybe if you go to a really crappy college bar and they have some Bud Light + kamakazi shot special for the night...

Several bars locally have beer specials, but they tend to be beer bars. Usually places that feature local or microbrews will have such a thing.

Dives and clubs wont have a beer special, but might have a cocktail special depending on the bartender. Or they'll have the classic PBR+shot.

Using Technology

Reaction score
McSommerreid: yes, that is true. Beer beer bars will have specials soemtimes. But my point was just that many if not most bars do not and thus why's advice to not try to learn what beers you like but just go into a bar and just say "gimme whatever you have on special" is going to give you a lot of funny looks from bartenders.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chrisjustinparr
Should do a poll but I agree with the guy who chose Stella

"If anyone orders any ******* Stella, I'm leaving."

Stella is a scam, people.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by m@T
Stella is easy drinking for a rookie, while...

...is definitely not.

I disagree with this. Guinness is a great starting drink. It's respectable and goes down very easily.

MCsommerreid

Reaction score
McSommerreid:

yes, that is true. Beer beer bars will have specials soemtimes. But my point was just that many if not most bars do not and thus why's advice to not try to learn what beers you like but just go into a bar and just say "gimme whatever you have on special" is going to give you a lot of funny looks from bartenders.

Which is why you change your wording to something like "What would you recommend?" or "What's popular tonight?" Instead of just finding one or two beers and drinking just that, you can branch out to better stouter beers, good cocktails that don't involve sweet and sour mix, and such not.

VKK3450

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What's with all this mention of "classy" drinks. Dont drink something because someone tells you its classy or because you think it makes you look classy (or vice versa). Drink it because you like it and be ******* proud and confident.

If you like pina coladas then be a ******* man and order a pina colada and drink them with reckless abandon, tying the cherry stems into knots with your tongue as you wink suggestively to women. If any of these internet fuckwits tell you that your drink isn't classy then stick them in the eye with your paper umbrella.

Point being, I hate ******* poseur twats who take what should be an enjoyable activity (drinking and socializing) and try and tell people that they shouldn't drink X because its for girls / chavs / people with no taste or that they should drink Y because it will make them look "kla$$y"

Twats.

K

VKK3450

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ohhh, and I'll drink the **** out of some Stella. Its 5.0-5.2% and its what we drink before going mental and busting heads / glassing punters in the local pub. Nickname - The wife beater.

Actually, Stella is a great session beer. Its got a decent ABV and you can pound it all night (no ****). Pub nights I stick to Stella, Kronenbourg or Guinness. Maybe Staropramen if its on tap.

K

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do you go to bars?

I don't think I've been to a single bar in the US that didn't have a beer on special. I know it sounds ******* crazy, but you might have to ask the bartender if they do. Shocking.

Using Technology

Reaction score
Originally Posted by why
Do you go to bars? I don't think I've been to a single bar in the US that didn't have a beer on special. I know it sounds ******* crazy, but you might have to ask the bartender if they do. Shocking.
Dude, I used to be a bartender. I have no idea what are you are talking about. If someone had asked me for the beer special I would have assumed they had no idea what they are talking about and given them a bud light for twice the price. Outside of really ****** college type bars who sometimes have a crap beer special (such as a bucket of corona for 10 bucks or a free shot of rail whisky with a Miller Light) and snobby beer bars that might have some chocolate raspberry double bock on tap for one day only, bars do not have "specials" on beer. And even in those first two instances, they are rarely called "specials" and if you asked the bartender for "the special" they would give you a weird look. Where do you live? Maybe you just are in some isolated town with really weird bar habits. I've lived all over the US and never seen a regular bar have a beer special. Most bars have a set group of beers on tap and a set group in bottles and that's it.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dude, I used to be a bartender. I have no idea what are you are talking about. If someone had asked me for the beer special I would have assumed they had no idea what they are talking about and given them a bud light for twice the price.

Outside of really ****** college type bars who sometimes have a crap beer special (such as a bucket of corona for 10 bucks or a free shot of rail whisky with a Miller Light) and snobby beer bars that might have some chocolate raspberry double bock on tap for one day only, bars do not have "specials" on beer. And even in those first two instances, they are rarely called "specials" and if you asked the bartender for "the special" they would give you a weird look.

Where do you live? Maybe you just are in some isolated town with really weird bar habits. I've lived all over the US and never seen a regular bar have a beer special. Most bars have a set group of beers on tap and a set group in bottles and that's it.

I've ordered beer in Ohio, PA, Colorado, LA, San Diego, North Carolina, South Carolina, Florida, Michigan -- all have had beer specials. Microbreweries, dives, sports bars, whatever. All of them had something on special.

Where did you bartend at? A martini bar?

I almost want to call bullshit on that...you went from 'bars don't have beer specials' to 'some do, but they're ****' then to 'well, yeah, they do too but they're snobby' to 'well crappy and snobby places do and some others might but mine didn't'.

Using Technology

Reaction score
Man believe whatever you want, but bars in general do not have "specials" and advising thsi guy to go into a bar and "ask for the special" instead of learning anything about beer is horribel advice.

Even if he did go to the kind of corny college bars that serve "specials," you are just asking him to end up with a bucket of corana every night.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Every bar has specials. Quit being a twat and get into the real world.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics