• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New to "drinking"

unjung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by grimslade
Gin & Tonic. Don't order Stella, please. Stella is what unemployed drunks in Belgium drink when they can't afford real beer.

Absolutely agreed. Can't believe this is being recommended. Seems anytime you slap an "imported" label on an alcohol, it gains some sort of special cachet. For beer, you should start with something light and flavourful. If you've seen an ad on TV for it, you probably shouldn't drink it. Except a few of the Sam Adams (I don't know how often those are advertised down there). Blue Moon makes some good stuff. Or you could go for the ultimate baby beer, Fruli.

likeitaloud

Reaction score
Originally Posted by kingnor
Hey guys.. I'm new here, but this forum got me thinking about drinks.

I've never been a drinker, which I'm now realizing is a social annoyance to most people. I have never had anything against drinking, I'd just opt out.

Well it bugs me now when go out drinking my friends will ask for something, but i have to just be like "uh.. a beer?" because I don't even know where to start.

What are some normal, 'every bar' drinks someone can ask for with out sounding like an idiot?

anyway hello and maybe i'll be more stylish because of this forum!
bounce2.gif

p.s. dont' say Bacardi and Cola, those commercials are terrible.
tongue.gif

Holy **** man you better be like 16 cause this post is pretty
musicboohoo[1].gif

Tardek

Reaction score
Originally Posted by DarkNWorn
Dude, are you being sensible about drinking? Wot?!? We don't do that here. See Exhibit A:

(picture)

I see your angle; I must inform you that I am practicing a "do as I say, not as I do" approach. Best to be cautious until you know your limits.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by unjung
Absolutely agreed. Can't believe this is being recommended. Seems anytime you slap an "imported" label on an alcohol, it gains some sort of special cachet. For beer, you should start with something light and flavourful. If you've seen an ad on TV for it, you probably shouldn't drink it. Except a few of the Sam Adams (I don't know how often those are advertised down there). Blue Moon makes some good stuff. Or you could go for the ultimate baby beer, Fruli.

Guys, I think you are missing the point of this thread. No one asked what the best beer is. It's just a beer that (at least in NY) is a safe bet that people won't think twice about. The point is to blend is as much as possible, I thought. It's also a beer that 99% of bars I've been to have. That's all. No one is saying Stella Artois is the greatest beer known to man.

likeitaloud

Reaction score
Originally Posted by MetroStyles
Guys, I think you are missing the point of this thread. No one asked what the best beer is. It's just a beer that (at least in NY) is a safe bet that people won't think twice about. The point is to blend is as much as possible, I thought. It's also a beer that 99% of bars I've been to have. That's all. No one is saying Stella Artois is the greatest beer known to man.

Guinness?

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MetroStyles

Stella is easy drinking for a rookie, while...

Originally Posted by likeitaloud
Guinness?

...is definitely not.

kingnor

Reaction score
thanks for the advice on the mix drinks, i'll have to experiment a little and see what i like. maybe i'll hit a bar on a slow night and try a few drinks while i work on some drawings or something.

what's the opinion on Fat Tire? I chanced across that one when i was out with soem friends and I actually like it a lot. Is fat tire a lame guy drink? I also liked Dos Equis A LOT when i'd had it on tap, it was gross from the bottle, but damn it was actually good from the tap. Never found it on tap since so maybe it was a fluke.

I think I can actually hold my liquor pretty well, a few years back my friends insisted i get drunk for a new years party we had, I said what the hell, and said i'd drink what they give me. they gave me 5 shots of something.. it was a while back. either some wiskey or vodka something, tasted like **** but i never really felt the effects. A beer or two later i felt a little buzzed and stopped, since they were all wasted and i dont' like getting more than buzzed.

anyway, i'm sure you all loved that story. thanks again

Patrician

Reaction score
Whisky sour.

kingnor

Reaction score
Originally Posted by likeitaloud
Holy **** man you better be like 16 cause this post is pretty
musicboohoo[1].gif

what ever, my drinking experience is probably sub par to most 16 year olds.

I'm not trying to impress anyone, just trying to learn.

deal with it.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ummm...why are you guys recommending all this **** for beer? Yeah it's good beer but he'll look like an idiot if he's going out with people his age.

Ask for what's on special and order it.

kingnor

Reaction score
Originally Posted by why
Ummm...why are you guys recommending all this **** for beer? Yeah it's good beer but he'll look like an idiot if he's going out with people his age.

this would be in a resturaunt setting right? that's where i have the most trouble, when it comes to selecting a wine or something to go with a meal. trying to avoid looking like an idiot if i can help it.

Using Technology

Reaction score
Originally Posted by why

ummm.... are you recommending asking the bartender what's "on special" for beer? What kind of bars have beers on special? Specials are for food dishes. Restaurants dont' typically get a random keg of X beer and serve it as a special on a random tuesday. I think that is more likely to make you look like an idiot.

Ask for what is on tap and then choose whatever beer sounds best to you.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kingnor
this would be in a resturaunt setting right? that's where i have the most trouble, when it comes to selecting a wine or something to go with a meal. trying to avoid looking like an idiot if i can help it.

Don't think too hard about it. Most people don't have a ******* clue what they're ordering let alone if it'll pair well with their meal. I usually order a Dewar's (basic scotch) when the server asks for drinks and might change drinks depending on what I'm having.

I don't like beer with meals on dates, business, certain people, etc. because I burp at the table.

Most people I know look like pretentious ***** when they stick to memorized hard and fast rules instead of just getting what they want. If you don't like liquor I'd stick to wines. If you can't pronounce them or something just ask for the server's preference or order the same thing as a friend.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads