Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

New to Dressing with Style - Suggested Reading?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Biglaw, Sep 26, 2011.

1. Biglaw

Biglaw New Member

I've recently become interested (read: now have the money) to start dressing with a little bit more maturity and style. In the middle of law school, I'm trying to gradually transition from my college wardrobe of ralph lauren, j. crew, and vineyard vines to a more professional look.

The problem I'm finding I have is that I don't really know the first thing about mens fashion. I don't want to repeat the mistake of buying clothes based on the label and would like to increase my foundational knowledge of dressing like a professional and stylish adult.

So SF, if you could provide any suggested reading for learning the basics and starting this journey, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.

2. Blackhood

Blackhood Senior member

Dressing the man by Flusser
    Gentleman by Bernhard Roetzel

If you want something a little more entertaining, but less helpful then check out The Suit: A Machiavellian Approach to Men's Style by our very own Manton.

Other than that, just hang around here, examine WAYWRN (What Are Your Wearing Right Now) threads and generally look for styles and colours that you appreciate.

3. bourbonbasted

bourbonbasted Cyber Eliitist

+1. Also, please use the discussions or looks here as a guideline and not as stated fact. All too often people, especially those new to the forum, get caught up in the notion of what is "SF-approved."

Instead, spend time learning about your body type, proportions, flattering color pallets, elements/types of clothes you like or dislike, etc. As someone just discovering his individual style you are not ready to start buying bespoke suits or $1,000 shoes, even though a large part of this site is dedicated to that practice. Instead, put in the work, do your due diligence, experiment and have fun.

4. watchcollector2454

watchcollector2454 Senior member

read the writings of g. bruce boyer. his books and articles (many of which can be found online) are great.

5. mensimageconsultant

mensimageconsultant Senior member

Manton's book should be worth reading. At least for dressing to trial. Would it would be good for a junior lawyer working in the office? Probably depends on the firm's culture. If off-work style is an issue, either learn by lots of reading articles (since there aren't any good books on that) and trial-and-error or, uh, cheat.