Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

New to Deadlifts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Lear, Jun 29, 2008.

1. greasypeanut

greasypeanut Well-Known Member

The hook grip will take some getting used to and will hurt for a bit. Ignore the pain.

Get chalk as well.

lefty

wrap ur thumb with some tape, it will help alot.

2. darkie_one

darkie_one Senior member

use mixed grip, chalk and gloves, don't use straps, the forearms will not work
    deadlifts and squats also raise the testosterone level, I feel like coming on hard excercises

3. James Bond

James Bond Senior member

Chalk's fine. No gloves.

4. Flambeur

Flambeur Senior member

After reading through this thread.. ehh this is definitely not the best place for weightlifting advice.. [​IMG]

5. wiscogooner

wiscogooner Senior member

6. lefty

lefty Senior member

use mixed grip, chalk and gloves, don't use straps, the forearms will not work deadlifts and squats also raise the testosterone level, I feel like coming on hard excercises
    Awesome t-nation broness. Do you write for them? I put them in order for a reason. The guy needs to work his posterior chain. He's not competing. It would be bloody stupid for him to limit the amount he can lift on his last few sets/reps because his hands are giving out. lefty

7. why

why Senior member

...and squats and deadlift don't raise testerosterone levels.

8. greg_atlanta

greg_atlanta Senior member

Looks hard on your knees. No thanks.

9. James Bond

James Bond Senior member

...and squats and deadlift don't raise testerosterone levels.

Squats do. I would imagine deadlifts do as well since the amount of muscle worked and stress placed on the body is similar.

10. MetroStyles

MetroStyles Senior member

Squats do. I would imagine deadlifts do as well since the amount of muscle worked and stress placed on the body is similar.

I've heard both do, but have not read the scientific papers to prove it. I believe it though, just from my personal experience.

I would personally say that DLs do so more than squats. I find they stress the body more than squats. For me, it's because squats require more concentration on form (more moving parts), so you can get stuck in more places and get injured. I never go "all out" on squats to the point of cheating. With deadlifts, if you follow a few basic guidelines on form, you can really bust it all out and not get injured. There is no position "at the bottom" at which to get stuck.

That being said, deadlifts are very dangerous if you use your back incorrectly. I don't. But 50% of the people doing them at the gym make me cringe with their rounded back doing heavy weight.

11. wiscogooner

wiscogooner Senior member

12. Lear

Lear Senior member

It'll soon be a year since I started dead-lifts. As I'm pretty much the only one at the gym who does them, I have nothing to compare what I'm lifting too. I want to ask a question that might have no answer: at what sort of weights do most dead-lifters tend to experience damage to their bodies (lower back). My maximum is currently 4 reps of 180 KG (396 pounds). So far I've been lucky, or maybe just correct in my form. No pains or strains whatsoever. Dropping the small stuff and concentrating on dead-lifts, squats, pull-ups and bench-press, was the best advice to be gleaned from this sub-forum. From day one, the plates ramped up rapidly. It soon slowed down, but increases were still regular. Also, chins are now off the scale, so I'm adding hanging weights too. In fact, the bench-press has now become secondary to the other 'big' exercises. Also, I do realize that 180 KG (396 pounds) is probably a girlie warm-up for some. However, I'd still like to know where that sort of weight lies in the capability of an average man. Lastly, Is there a sweet spot that I should be aiming for. I have no interest in getting big, yet I find competing against myself to be quite therapeutic. I still get the overwhelming feelings of tiredness, but a great sense of accomplishment. afterwards. I'm hoping that it isn't addictive. All of this will cement my reputation as a kindly, cuddly soul. A man without harsh word or biting comment. A person who sees the good in all men. This world needs more love and understanding. And I'm the man to spread that word. Lear

13. why

why Senior member

It'll soon be a year since I started dead-lifts. As I'm pretty much the only one at the gym who does them, I have nothing to compare what I'm lifting too. I want to ask a question that might have no answer: at what sort of weights do most dead-lifters tend to experience damage to their bodies (lower back). My maximum is currently 4 reps of 180 KG (396 pounds). So far I've been lucky, or maybe just correct in my form. No pains or strains whatsoever. Lear
    That's a pretty good lift depending on your body weight. There's no set weight where people get injured. It happens and the best thing to do is simply take all precautions. And no, squats and deadlifts don't release free testosterone in trained individuals and if anything they reduce it. Don't extrapolate anything from that fact though.

14. sho'nuff

sho'nuff grrrrrrrr!!

That's a pretty good lift depending on your body weight. There's no set weight where people get injured. It happens and the best thing to do is simply take all precautions.

correct. just take as much precaution as you can when you do back /lower back exercises. dont go by textbook gauge. go by your feel. dont push anything. start slowly and move up correctly. and dont try to move up in weight just for the sake of moving up. "i should move up cuz my buddies all went up 20 pounds last week, i should do the same" or
    " the magazine says after 1 month i should be at 200 lift"
    or whatever.

15. Lear

Lear Senior member

That's a pretty good lift depending on your body weight. There's no set weight where people get injured. It happens and the best thing to do is simply take all precautions. And no, squats and deadlifts don't release free testosterone in trained individuals and if anything they reduce it. Don't extrapolate anything from that fact though.
    15 Stone, 8pounds @ 6'2" Yeah, I hear what you're saying, I just thought that it might be known, that once you head into the ??? poundage zone, your chances of injury increase dramatically. I don't want to be in that zone. [​IMG] Thanks anyway.
    correct. just take as much precaution as you can when you do back /lower back exercises. dont go by textbook gauge. go by your feel. dont push anything. start slowly and move up correctly. and dont try to move up in weight just for the sake of moving up. "i should move up cuz my buddies all went up 20 pounds last week, i should do the same" or " the magazine says after 1 month i should be at 200 lift" or whatever.
    Good luck with your progress. I get a buzz out of hearing other peoples success stories. Be the best you can be. Good luck.