• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New to Bourbon

theber

Reaction score
Hello All

I was recently given a bottle pf Bulleit bourbon. I am mainly a scotch drinker and living in Scotland it is fair to say I am spoilt for choice. It is a massive part of the culture here and there is so much history and personality around it.

However, I really don't know much about bourbon but I very much enjoyed it. It is also very limited to choice here but with the wonder of the internet I was joping to lay m hands on some more.

Hopefully you gents could educate me a little.

theber

samus

Reaction score
Originally Posted by theber
Hello All

I was recently given a bottle pf Bulleit bourbon. I am mainly a scotch drinker and living in Scotland it is fair to say I am spoilt for choice. It is a massive part of the culture here and there is so much history and personality around it.

However, I really don't know much about bourbon but I very much enjoyed it. It is also very limited to choice here but with the wonder of the internet I was joping to lay m hands on some more.

Hopefully you gents could educate me a little.

theber

Whoever gave you the Bulleit made a good choice. I, too, am mainly a Scotch drinker when it comes to whiskey, and my roommate a Bourbon drinker, but we both love Bulleit.

PERhodes

Reaction score
Bulleit's good. I've had it perhaps a half dozen times. I'm not a very experienced bourbon drinker, having only taken it up in the last year or so but Knob Creek(rocks) has become my new "go-to" drink. If that's not available I'll drink Maker's and beyond that I'll occasionally suffer through some Wild Turkey or Jim Beam. Another bourbon worth looking into is Basil Hayden's. Although an excellent selection, about on par with Knob Creek, it is rarely available in the bars I frequent so my experience is quite limited.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Frankly, I think bourbon is a better drink than scotch. Try Knob Creek and Woodford Reserve.

danilo

Reaction score
My boss is a huge fan of maker's mark and bought me a glass last time we went out for a drink. I thought it was very smooth. It lacks the complexity of many scotches but it was nice to drink anyways.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Actually, Maker's is probably my least favorite bourbon.

bullethead

Reaction score
Basil Hayden is my bourbon of choice.

The best i've ever had is Black Maple Hill 23 y.o., which was a gift. I believe it retails north of $125

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
In bourbon you'll find oakier flavors, sometimes more molasses and maple syrup, more charcoal, basically flavors you would associate the south of the U.S.

Bulleit is a great first craft bourbon.

Try to pick up some Four Roses if you can.

jst

Reaction score
Woodford Reserve + 2 ice cubes = good night

bc78

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bullethead
Basil Hayden is my bourbon of choice.

The best i've ever had is Black Maple Hill 23 y.o., which was a gift. I believe it retails north of $125

Basil Hayden is quite good. So is Bookers.

eqpablon

Reaction score
Blanton's, great stuff if you can find it.

Prince

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Connemara
Frankly, I think bourbon is a better drink than scotch. Try Knob Creek and Woodford Reserve.

+2

Blanton for the win.
smile.gif

JesseJB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was talking to a bartender about Maker's and he told me that he thinks anyone who asks for a Manhattan on the dry side with Makers is an idiot because Maker's is "very sugary" compared to Woodford, Knob, etc.

Evidently Jack Daniels is the most sugary of them all and gives the worst hangovers. So Jack drinkers= masochistic pussies.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
After extensive quality trials including Makers Mark, Jack Daniels, Woodford, and about half a dozen expensive boutique brands, I vote for Bulliet. The taste is great neat or over ice. It is my new favorite.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads