1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

NEW TAILOR BESPOKE NAPLES

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Gianni Cerutti, Oct 9, 2013.

1. P-K-L

P-K-L Senior member

Did not get any more beautiful Used to be a nice sofa back in 1974 I guess

8 people like this.
  2. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

Yes, indeed.

I'm quite surprised that Gianni still shows his face on SF, or at least shows his face without having apologised for his shameless misrepresentation of "vintage" silks and his failure to provide customers with goods that they paid for.

It's also very disappointing - although perhaps not surprising - that style bloggers don't seem to bother doing a basic Google search for Passaggio Cravatte before writing up a soft-soap piece singing Gianni's praises. The first page of any Google search brings up a few results that should, at the very least, lead people to ask some hard questions of Gianni, but no - it's vintage, vintage, vintage and "oh, how stylish" all the way.

I thought that the photo of Gianni at his "work bench" was particularly egregious, given that (as far as I'm aware) Gianni doesn't actually make any of the ties himself but instead outsources the work to an established tie-maker.

5 people like this.
  3. Henry Carter

Henry Carter Senior member Affiliate Vendor

He should be ashamed of himself showing his face around here after treating people like @ovlov the way he did. Honestly should be banned from the forum.

5 people like this.
  4. jedwards

jedwards Senior member

To be fair, this thread is about Pirozzi and Gianni has been posting pictures about Pirozzis work, of which there doesn't seem to be much else on SF, so his photos are serving a purpose.

Admittedly, the commissions are not to my taste, but if nothing else it could be argued it shows the versatility and open mindedness of Mr. Pirozzi.

1 person likes this.
  5. Stone

Stone Senior member

Given Gianni's (well-deserved) reputation here, I don't know if he's doing Pirozzi any favors by talking about him.

That said, I sort of like Gianni's Dolemite/70s pimp style - it's a shame he's such an asshole.

3 people like this.
  6. carpu65

carpu65 Senior member

[​IMG]

The next coat of Gianni.
    Of course the cloth is vintage.

6 people like this.
  7. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

Most brazen case of Gianni screwing someone over may have been Cleav.

Cleav really wanted to work with him on the issues. Gave him about three chances to do so. Shame

Last edited: Nov 16, 2014
    2 people like this.
  8. P-K-L

P-K-L Senior member

The purpose might be the collection of kickbacks by Mr. C.

1 person likes this.
  9. PCK1

PCK1 Senior member

That is highly speculative and unlikely.

10. marcodalondra

marcodalondra Senior member

I actually think it is very likely having read what he did with bloggers, magazine etc... and also heard some direct stories from people in the industry in Naples.

3 people like this.
  11. PCK1

PCK1 Senior member

Again, you have no evidence of this so it is purely speculation. Pirozzi is a tiny tailor with no following and I highly doubt there is any commission involved in this. Maybe Gianni gets a small discount on his commissions, if he even gets this.

When you have evidence please feel free to share it. Until then it is useless speculation and not worth the commentary.

1 person likes this.
  12. C&A

C&A Senior member

+ some Milan/Como artisans.

2 people like this.
  13. marcodalondra

Who told you that Pirozzi is a small tailor BTW?

And off course the kick backs are in the order of free clothing or heavely discounted ones. He has/had a blog as well when he was starting up is tie business.... This was evident from day one when he started this and the shirtmaker thread.

You think that after all the conning he did on this site would still be posting about his "review" of his tailor, if he did not have at least promised him that each "commission" would be featured...

5 people like this.
  14. C&A

C&A Senior member

Last edited: Nov 17, 2014
  15. jedwards

jedwards Senior member

I understand where you are coming from Marco, but whatever his commercial relationship with Mr. Pirozzi, the outcome is people on here are getting some useful photos on his work. In my view, this is largely a good thing because it is showing different styles available in Naples - most of what we see online from this region is very 'soft' (because, yes, people who commission and then post about this type of thing want the 'soft' look) but Mr. Pirozzi seems to be the first tailor I've seen from this region who does a much harder silhouette.

Again, none of it is to my taste, not because of the quality of the tailor's workmanship, but the styling Gianni chooses is probably in his own words... Quite eccentric.

Some might reasonably argue that this whole thread is actually damaging the prospect of Mr. Pirozzi gaining international clientelle (if indeed he is even seeking it) because of the outrageousness of some of Gianni's concoctions...

I believe there was a tailor somewhere, someplace in Italy who once said "please don't put my work online, I don't want to be known as the guy who made the orange trousers I may lose my dignified clientele". There may well be some wisdom in his words.

5 people like this.
  16. marcodalondra

Indeed I think both Pirozzi and the shirtmaker do not need GC reviews, however they did gain some customers thanks to this thread. IF GC wants to still gets more items "commissioned" he need to show that more customer will go.

You can search some of Pirozzi pre-GC work on the italian forum noveporte.

Again, we are seeing examples of a shoulder line that was common in the 1970, but the jacket is not more structured in general that the neapolitan average. Let's not forget that Fabric plays a huge part. My jackets in 11-12 oz english fabrics looks more "shaped" then the ones in Loro Piana Tasmanian 120/130s or E.Zegna 110s...

17. carpu65

carpu65 Senior member

This is a Pirozzi's coat for a suit of Mr Daniele Savarè.
    When is well guided Pirozzi is a very versatile and skilful tailor.
    Note how much is clean and sharp this coat.
    Unfortunately many pictures of Pirozzi's work depict garish things like the horse blanket of Gianni.
    But the cut of Pirozzi is very remarkable;he is one of few Neapolitan tailors remained of the true Neapolitan structurate school.[​IMG]

5 people like this.
  18. Gianni Cerutti

Gianni Cerutti Senior member

[​IMG]

Here's another jacket bespoke Pirozzi.

19. carpu65

carpu65 Senior member

Wise decision son,you are enlisted.
    [​IMG]

6 people like this.
  20. mactire

mactire Senior member

Did you come down the Hudson in the last shower? Well known that bloggers like Crompton et al. or indeed most folk with an online presence e.g. London Lounge are to quote Maggie 'On the make and on the take'. If you think its any different there's no hope for you.

2 people like this.