• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

NEW Super compact DSLR from SONY about to hit the market in June.

Pezzaturra

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yet you still need to use giant lenses...

I think I'd rather just get a four thirds camera.

videocrew

Reaction score
It's gotten some pretty lackluster reviews... I think you'd be better off with the E-PL1 for the lens compatibility, (unless you've got a ton of old Pentax glass laying around).

Pezzaturra

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by robin
Yet you still need to use giant lenses... I think I'd rather just get a four thirds camera.
Light physics are a ***** ain't it?

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by robin
Yet you still need to use giant lenses...

I think I'd rather just get a four thirds camera.

Exactly. I've never understood why people care about getting a small body for a dslr. The lenses are the majority of your bulk and having a bigger body just feels better in your hands.

Pezzaturra

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQgeek
...and having a bigger body just feels better in your hands.

That is what she said.

Dragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm a beginner and really happy with the GF-1. It's small enough to carry around, and has everything you need to learn photography.

Like someone mentioned above, most of the bulk comes from the lens, so I don't think making the body that small has much benefit. If I were to replace my current camera, I would want something a similar size, but with better image quality to make it more like a cheap Lieca.

Pezzaturra

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dragon
I'm a beginner and really happy with the GF-1. It's small enough to carry around, and has everything you need to learn photography. Like someone mentioned above, most of the bulk comes from the lens, so I don't think making the body that small has much benefit. If I were to replace my current camera, I would want something a similar size, but with better image quality to make it more like a cheap Lieca.
I think most posters here don't realize that this is not just smaller camera. It is camera with full DSLR sensor=good low light performance without the flash and an overall performance far beyond that of micro thirds four. If specs and reviews are right this would be the first compact digital camera with a DSLR level of performance. Those who like their hands to be filled with large hard objects might be ultimately disappointed, but to me it sounds like a perfect combo of compact metal-body camera with a full size sensor and lens.

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I hate the imbalance of a light camera body and heavy lens. Also, having a larger body means you can space out the control buttons, which makes accessing the camera features much faster. But if you're gonna just shoot in Auto, I guess that doesn't matter.
devil.gif
P.S. I feel the same way about Sony as I do about Apple.

Dragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Pezzaturra
I think most posters here don't realize that this is not just smaller camera. It is camera with full DSLR sensor=good low light performance without the flash and an overall performance far beyond that of micro thirds four.

If specs and reviews are right this would be the first compact digital camera with a DSLR level of performance.
Those who like their hands to be filled with large hard objects might be ultimately disappointed, but to me it sounds like a perfect combo of compact metal-body camera with a full size sensor and lens.

Didn't know that (that is has full DSLR level performance). I guess if they can make full DSLR level cameras THAT small now, there is almost no reason for micro 4/3

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think most posters here don't realize that this is not just smaller camera. It is camera with full DSLR sensor=good low light performance without the flash and an overall performance far beyond that of micro thirds four.

If specs and reviews are right this would be the first compact digital camera with a DSLR level of performance.
Those who like their hands to be filled with large hard objects might be ultimately disappointed, but to me it sounds like a perfect combo of compact metal-body camera with a full size sensor and lens.

The Sigma DP series already did the small body with full sized DSLR sensor a while ago.

aizan

Reaction score
that's not a dslr. it's an aps-c compact. the so-called EVIL cameras have a built-in electronic viewfinder, while others might have an accessory EVF.

zoom lenses for an aps-c or 4/3 sized sensor are unavoidably large. that's why ricoh is only using small sensors for its zoom-equipped modules for the gxr. these cameras are most comfortable with small primes, which most people are not used to anymore.

the lenses could be much smaller if they made the lens mount smaller, but i don't think anybody wants to deal with the technical problems leica has to deal with.

LawrenceMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
there are a many models of actual dslr cameras that are based on the 4/3 format sensor. and as previously mentioned there are sigma, samsung, and nikon compact cameras that have the larger than 4/3rd sensor already jammed into a small body (results are still suspect as an overall package though).

what sony failed to realize is that for the the engineering in jammed into the camera, its still about trying to please the enthusiasts not the 'INTELLIGENT AUTO ALWAYS ON" crowd.

it would of been just as easy/impressive to put small physical knobs to adjust shooting modes, shutter speed, ect so you could have instant access to manual controls.

its the whole reason cameras like the lumix lx3/canon G11/canon s90/ect are so popular: although they are sensor wise small and can be slow... they offer instant access to fully manual operation.

the trends are that people who want and easy camera to use will just buy a point and shoot.. and the true iconic best sellers will still some have some sort of direct manual knob and button access to fully manual controls.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dragon
Didn't know that (that is has full DSLR level performance). I guess if they can make full DSLR level cameras THAT small now, there is almost no reason for micro 4/3
I have a 4/3 camera. You could pay me money and I wouldn't swap my e-3 for that sony. Small cameras suck to hold, for the reasons DNW pointed out. And if it is in fact using an aps-c sensor, it's also using larger lenses built for full sensor cameras. If I'm going to use big lenses, I want a full sensor and a camera that's actually balanced in my hand with ready access to controls. Maybe not d3 or canon mark X sized, but something comfortable like the d300 or my e-3. One of the reasons I went with four-thirds is that the lenses are smaller for equivalent levels of zoom though, so while it's not exactly portable like a p&s, it's a bit more portable than Canon L glass or the equivalent in nikon that need to case a big image circle. That Sony looks about as ergonomic as an old nintendo controller btw. And also... no viewfinder... i'm not sold on EVFs yet and the delay on a typical LCD viewfinder is unacceptable. Oops, you said micro 4/3... micro 4/3 has much smaller lenses than that thing has, so the total package is considerably smaller.

Pezzaturra

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQgeek
Oops, you said micro 4/3... micro 4/3 has much smaller lenses than that thing has, so the total package is considerably smaller.

I encourage you to research this point further.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads