Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

New Sun Chips bag: earth-friendly, but loud as hell

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Dakota rube, May 5, 2010.

1. Dakota rube

Dakota rube Senior member

A bit better than yesterday, all day vomiting for
    Anyone seen this yet? The bag is compostable. But the bag is so loud it will wake the dead!

[​IMG]

2. limester816

limester816 Senior member

Good advertising. You're buying two things at once: a delicious snack, and a compost pile.

3. robbie

robbie Pleading Poverty

holy hell i hate these damn things

8-9 folks in a row came to the deli w/ them and each time I had to literally force myself not to cringe and the super loud super annoying sound.

eughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

4. aguydude

aguydude Senior member

Bought one. Was actually REALLY loud. I had headphones on when I opened one and the noise from the bag completely drowned out the music from my headphones. Definitly not something to take into a class or a meeting.

5. robbie

robbie Pleading Poverty

also, despite being 'compostable' and 'green' it emits sulfur dioxide once composted... which is (less than their prior packaging,sure. but...) harmful to the environment.

-rF

6. Dakota rube

Dakota rube Senior member

A bit better than yesterday, all day vomiting for
    ^and, while it is compostable, it won't biodegrade in a landfill, which I don't really understand.

7. fwiffo

fwiffo Senior member

^and, while it is compostable, it won't biodegrade in a landfill, which I don't really understand.

I read most garbage is entombed in arid, dry and sun-less places with no chance for decomposition. I think throwing this into the green bin makes more sense provided they don't sort and divert it back to the rubbish bin.

8. spertia

spertia Senior member

My wife and I have been joking about this ever since we bought a bag. I think it says something that it's still sitting unfinished in the pantry after several weeks! Seriously, I'm all for attempts to "go green," but I really think that this is going to backfire for Sun Chips. I definitely won't be buying these again, or anything else in this type of bag.

The other morning I popped into the grocery store before work. It was pretty empty at that time of day, but right after I entered, I couldn't believe the cacophany coming from a few aisles over. I then realized that there was a stock boy rapidly loading up an entire display of these Sun Chips! [​IMG]

9. Harold falcon

Harold falcon Senior member

You shouldn't buy Sun chips in the first place. They aren't good for you. Eat a effing carrot.

10. Nosu3

Nosu3 Senior member

They will have companies follow their footsteps with newer and improved packaging. They aren't bad for making musical instruments either, we use them over here for our midnight moon dances.

11. MrG

MrG Senior member

Compost needs moisture, oxygen, and a blend of carbon/nitrogen. It also needs heat, which the process of composting generates. Plus, it has to be turned and maintained. None of this stuff happens in a landfill.

Basically, composting is an active process that breaks down material, and the required processes don't happen in a landfill. I don't know if it happens elsewhere, but I know my local Solid Waste department actually maintains a composting operations that's separate from the landfill operation.

12. holymadness

holymadness Senior member

I bought something yesterday that came in a biodegradable plastic bag. It even had a use-by date: november 2010. I was a little [​IMG] but impressed; it's a good thing.