• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Suits

bachbeet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You may remember I purchased an Oxxford recently from ebay. I got it and brought to a local tailor who said she could put working buttonholes on the sleeve. Well, when I got it, no dice. She claimed to have misheard me. Needless to say, I did not pay for what I didn't get.

I then got a Brioni (that navy wool/cashmere nomentano from honest goods). I brought that one to a tailor near my work (La Jolla). He assured me he knew what to do. I got it back and it's perfect! I wore it yesterday and it's "like buttah!"
smile.gif
I brought him the Oxxford and he said he could repair it and convert it to working holes. I'm confident he'll do a great job.

That Oxxford is also a great suit. It's a navy windowpane on a lighter background that really lightens the effect and it is quite distinctive. The Brioni has cranberry pins that are just great! Two incredible suits that I feel terrific in.

I'm getting that Zegna sportcoat I posted here before (15 milmil) and I think I can have working holes on that one too. I obviously have some old suits and coats which no longer fit me (too tight due to the weightlifting) so these are some replacements. My wallet has just asked me for a rest.
smile.gif

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Sounds great! It will surely lift you beyond "The Grand Parade of Lifeless Packaging" so favored by the masses.

Full Canvas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bachbeet
I then got a Brioni (that navy wool/cashmere nomentano from honest goods). I brought that one to a tailor near my work (La Jolla). He assured me he knew what to do. I got it back and it's perfect! I wore it yesterday and it's "like buttah!"
smile.gif
I brought him the Oxxford and he said he could repair it and convert it to working holes. I'm confident he'll do a great job.

Was it Romeo (at Felice) that worked on your Brioni?

Mr. Pink

Reaction score
You may remember I purchased an Oxxford recently from ebay. I got it and brought to a local tailor who said she could put working buttonholes on the sleeve. Well, when I got it, no dice. She claimed to have misheard me. Needless to say, I did not pay for what I didn't get.

smile.gif

That Oxxford is also a great suit. It's a navy windowpane on a lighter background that really lightens the effect and it is quite distinctive. The Brioni has cranberry pins that are just great! Two incredible suits that I feel terrific in.

I'm getting that Zegna sportcoat I posted here before (15 milmil) and I think I can have working holes on that one too. I obviously have some old suits and coats which no longer fit me (too tight due to the weightlifting) so these are some replacements. My wallet has just asked me for a rest.
smile.gif

What tailor did you use in La Jolla? I still haven't found a tailor I'm completely happy with.

bachbeet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
FC and reuben: I used Johnny at Picasso. He's down this alley across from around the 3rd parking spot when one drives down Prospect and arrives to the shops. It's his own business. He takes his time. Has an old-style feel. He's also a personable guy. He's not Spanish (like Picasso). He's Armenian. He said he has an attorney-customer who buys 2 Brionis a year and brings them to him for holes, etc.

Jovan

Banned for Good
Reaction score
I got it and brought to a local tailor who said she could put working buttonholes on the sleeve. Well, when I got it, no dice. She claimed to have misheard me. Needless to say, I did not pay for what I didn't get.
Curious... what exactly did she screw up?

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
'Faux' working button holes. Why is there a fascination in the States to get suits converted into something they are not?

bachbeet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Jovan: What she messed up was she did NOT make them working buttonholes. She simply made them into what is common on the majority of suits - buttons that are only for show.

von Rothbart

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Congrats on the purchases. Oxxford is one of the very best and Brioni is almost as nice. Now we need pictures.

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GBR
'Faux' working button holes. Why is there a fascination in the States to get suits converted into something they are not?

Well, since having actual working buttonholes does not serve an actual function and is mostly aesthetic and you can get the same aesthetic from "faux" working buttonholes without the expense of actual working buttonholes, it kind of makes sense.

Also, I don't think that there's anything specific to the States about "faux" working button holes. All of my Corneliani suits, which are Made in Italy, and sold throughout the world, have "faux" working button holes.

Also, other than "faux" working buttonholes, what other evidence do you have of people in the States trying to conver their suits to something they are not?

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by odoreater
Also, I don't think that there's anything specific to the States about "faux" working button holes. All of my Corneliani suits, which are Made in Italy, and sold throughout the world, have "faux" working button holes.

Also, other than "faux" working buttonholes, what other evidence do you have of people in the States trying to convert their suits to something they are not?

Where the working holes are put in by the tailor/cutter who makes the suit at the time of construction then I have no problem with that. However here they are being fitted after the suit has been sold and by an alteration tailor at that.

Why the US? - because one only reads of from American posters on AAAC and here. Doubtless of course other nationalities will now emerge!!!!

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GBR
Where the working holes are put in by the tailor/cutter who makes the suit at the time of construction then I have no problem with that. However here they are being fitted after the suit has been sold and by an alteration tailor at that.
Is taking the suit to an alterations tailor at all simply looking for a 'faux' fit or should one simply accept the suit as the original tailor/cutter left it?

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Having minor alterations so that it fits is sensible - altering atiloring features which do not relate to that is 'faux'.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads