• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New suits, alterations, overseas tailors - HELP!

royal618

Reaction score
My last 3 suits have come from a travelling Hong Kong tailor - JAI Tailor.

Both of them have looked great, but the fit on a couple of them haven't been crash hot. My local tailor who does fantastic work chastised me over the work, telling me you get what you pay for. I took the jacket from a single breasted, 2 button, single vent jacket as it wasn't giving me that nice hugging feeling. Basically there was too much material in the small of my back, not enough around the posterior, and the roll of the lapels into the top button wasn't quite right. But, that's all fixable.

Prices for a two trouser suit have been around AU$600, which is pretty decent IMHO for what I'm getting. What's the general consensus on price, quality, etc?

Anyway, I'd be happy to get another and have selected some material already. However, I want him to get it right without having to restructure it. Should I send him the jacket that I had the work done on to model it off.

Also, how does one go about using an online service where the tailor will not ever meet me? I don't feel confident about measuring myself and getting it right! Also, I want a more narrow leg on my next suit, something a little more sharper... but as I mentioned I'm just not that comfortable.

Any suggestions welcomed!

royal618

Reaction score
Bueller?

I'm really interested in some of the tailors mentioned here - Jantzen and Chang for example and would love to get some new kit, but the whole measurement thing is what worries me.

whoopee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you want to continue using this outfit, then send them the locally altered suit for reference. You can also specify exactly what changes you want, but this requires a reasonable amount of knowledge.

I personally wouldn't use a long distance tailor having never seen them, as opposed to a shirtmaker like Jantzen. Suits are complex and more expensive than shirts which makes the sting of having to take a couple tries before getting it right more painful. And they can't be covered up like a shirt.

I don't think Jantzen or Chan will do suits via mail order because the chances of them making a good product are too low and of having a seriously dissatisfied customer too high. Those two outfits stand by their work.

royal618

Reaction score
Originally Posted by whoopee
If you want to continue using this outfit, then send them the locally altered suit for reference. You can also specify exactly what changes you want, but this requires a reasonable amount of knowledge.

I personally wouldn't use a long distance tailor having never seen them, as opposed to a shirtmaker like Jantzen. Suits are complex and more expensive than shirts which makes the sting of having to take a couple tries before getting it right more painful. And they can't be covered up like a shirt.

I don't think Jantzen or Chan will do suits via mail order because the chances of them making a good product are too low and of having a seriously dissatisfied customer too high. Those two outfits stand by their work.

I'm more looking in the shirt realm I suppose. The service I've been using to date makes decent shirts, but they're a little tent-ish and I want something tapered and more slimline.

So, the next question is... what measurements do I need and is there either a point of contact or website, and perhaps somewhere where I can see some examples of the cloth they use?

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
where in Australia are you? Jantzen is www.jantzentailor.com and they have a lot of shirt fabrics up there. Post here for reviews, youll probably find someone with whichever one you are interested in. I think Askandy has a thread on Jantzen cloth reviews. Measurement wise, be prepared to write off one or two... As for suits online, I know Jovan is pretty happy with the suits he gets at Barons Boutique, Ravi gets mixed reviews for his online stuff, other internet tailors, dunno.

royal618

Reaction score
I'm in Sydney.

Any idea on ballpark cost for shirts?

royal618

Reaction score
Sounds good. I have to haggle to get them to AU$75 as it stands with my current guy.

Thanks for the info... going to start looking into it and get someone to measure me up I guess.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
I think you can measure your existing shirt and let Jantzen know that its a shirt measurement not a body measurement.

Someone else should be able to confirm that - ive always bought in store from jantzen when I visit Hong Kong, but I believe Ive seen posts here to that effect.

royal618

Reaction score
Originally Posted by m@T
I think you can measure your existing shirt and let Jantzen know that its a shirt measurement not a body measurement.

Someone else should be able to confirm that - ive always bought in store from jantzen when I visit Hong Kong, but I believe Ive seen posts here to that effect.

Cool. I'd probably take a photo of me wearing a specific shirt and then take several of the shirt and overlay measurements. See how that goes. At ~AU$60 it's worth a punt.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads