• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Suit! Whats everyone think?

jpticar

Reaction score
This thread is a continuation from the tapered pant leg for interview thread found here http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=70665

The shirt is also Z Zegna. It is a size 15 neck. The shirt fits great for a slim person. For once the term "slim" fit was actually true. Only problem which may make me return it is that the material is not rinkle resistant at all so if I were take my jacket off at an interview the sleeves would be a mess. In the pictures my shirt cuffs are unbuttoned to show the cuff look that I am TRYING to get. The sleeves are long enough to show cuff, but whenever I button them on any shirt they stay up too high and I see nothing. Are my jacket sleeves too long or should I just have the button moved on the shirt cuff so that it comes further down? Also, the tie is some old piece of crap that I found and just tried on for the color. Would a tie in this color, maybe a little darker be a good match with this suit? Thanks for any input. I have a feeling a lot more of you guys will like this suit better than the Dolce&Gabbana in the other thread.

img1442xw3.jpg

img1451io2.jpg

img1448hz9.jpg

cvac

Reaction score
There is too much break on the pants, IMHO. I would go for very little break. Also, if you got plain bottoms instead of cuffs, I would have the pants cuffed instead.

It looks like the jacket is a little too tight across the lower back, hence the ripples/pulling there. From the back, it looks like the armhole/shoulder fit is also too snug, which is why you are getting a "dimple" on the sleeve head on your left arm when viewed from the back.

I would probably go for a smaller tie knot. If you're doing a half windsor there, try a Nicky or Shelby knot instead.

cvac

Reaction score
For the shirt cuffs, are they tight around your wrist when buttoned or are they too loose?

Also, I think a burgundy colored tie is fine, but I would stay away from any tie with a satin finish. A tie with a navy background will also look good with a charcoal gray suit.

Style Pontifex

Reaction score
Originally Posted by cvac
For the shirt cuffs, are they tight around your wrist when buttoned

Newb question: Should they be?

jpticar

Reaction score
Where should the back of the pants fall to in relation to the shoes. If I hem them up any more than they are now then they will constantly get stuck on top of the shoe. Perhaps I could have just the fronts hemmed up a bit more at an angle in order to keep my length in the back?

jpticar

Reaction score
It looks like the jacket is a little too tight across the lower back, hence the ripples/pulling there. From the back, it looks like the armhole/shoulder fit is also too snug, which is why you are getting a "dimple" on the sleeve head on your left arm when viewed from the back.

I would probably go for a smaller tie knot. If you're doing a half windsor there, try a Nicky or Shelby knot instead.

I think the ripples in the lower back and the dimple on the left sleeve is actually due to the fact that saks gave me the suit with out an iron ever touching it. It was pretty wrinkled. My right shoulder is actually a little larger than my left so I dont see why just the left side would deform like that. Once I get the suit ironed nicely I will see if these problems are solved.

As for the tie, it was a full windsor. Just through it on quick for the color to show in the picture. Definitely will not be doing the windsor for interviews.

jpticar

Reaction score
For the shirt cuffs, are they tight around your wrist when buttoned or are they too loose?

Also, I think a burgundy colored tie is fine, but I would stay away from any tie with a satin finish. A tie with a navy background will also look good with a charcoal gray suit.

They are not skin tight, but tight enough the stop the cuff from going far enough to show more than maybe 1/8" when the jacket is on.

The suit is actually dark navy. Looks a bit charcoal in the photos though.

As for the pants, are cuffs more formal?

suited

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think the suit looks fine. If the pants aren't pleated, don't cuff the bottoms. Personally, I don't care for cuffs/pleats on most suit pants.

Style Pontifex

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jpticar
Definitely will not be doing the windsor for interviews.

What's wrong with a full windsor for interviews? Is it considered tacky? What knot do you use instead?

migo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Style Pontifex
What's wrong with a full windsor for interviews? Is it considered tacky? What knot do you use instead?

FIH? I don't think it really matters...Fair few people around here like the non-chalantness that a FIH has, plus the knot isn't gigantic. Also, Bond never trusted a man who wore a full windsor.
tounge.gif

As for the shirt cuffs, I think the correct answer is that they should be loose enough for a dress watch (relatively thin) to fit underneith without much trouble

embowafa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Style Pontifex

Four in Hand is generally considered the most appropriate knot.

I think the suit looks great, but I agree with others...hem the pants with little to no break. You have a very slim silhouette going and any break would kill the whole look.

modmica

Reaction score
I think you look pretty sharp in the picture. The amount of cuff showing in the picture looks good. If you need to shorten the suit sleeves to show that amount of cuff with the cuffs buttoned, then I would shorten the suit sleeves.

jpticar

Reaction score
Originally Posted by suited
I think the suit looks fine. If the pants aren't pleated, don't cuff the bottoms. Personally, I don't care for cuffs/pleats on most suit pants.

The pants are flat front. I like cuffs but I felt that they may be a little over the top. I could be completely wrong though since I am still pretty new at this whole thing.

jpticar

Reaction score
Originally Posted by migo
As for the shirt cuffs, I think the correct answer is that they should be loose enough for a dress watch (relatively thin) to fit underneith without much trouble

Have a movado dress watch at home I will try it on with tonight. Thanks for the tip. How do you feel about the length of the shirt and jacket sleeves as shown in the pictures. Are they good as is or should both be moved up alittle?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads