• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New suit - thoughts?

Mr. Moo

Boxercise Toughguy
Reaction score
So I've had this suit for a little while now, but have yet to wear it. Thinking about popping its cherry on New Years this year. It's a Ralph Lauren dark navy blue 3 button with 2 different pinstripes, double vents, flap pockets, front darts (?), suspender buttons, split waist in the pants, etc. Seems as though it's made in Italy. Do you know who makes this suit? Is it fully canvassed? I need to have the pants altered for sure (un-hemmed), and maybe take it in just a tad in the jacket. Thoughts? Critiques?
11111.jpg
IAP_5704.jpg
IAP_5705.jpg
IAP_5707.jpg
IAP_5708.jpg
IAP_5716.jpg
IAP_5721.jpg

ChicagoJohn

Reaction score
I think your shirt/tie combo is beautiful. I wish I could choose them like that.

Mr. Moo

Boxercise Toughguy
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ChicagoJohn
I think your shirt/tie combo is beautiful. I wish I could choose them like that.
blush.gif
I really appreciate that. I don't really wear ties often, and am really just "getting into the game" so to speak, so to hear something like that makes me really happy.
smile.gif

polar-lemon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Purists will tell you that the pinstripe is too business-like for a party. I think it looks nice, though.

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thoughts? What thoughts? Are you trying to flip the suit or something?
confused.gif

Most important, IMHO, is how it fits. The photos above provide little to no information regarding fit.

Nice shirt tho.

re: make, I'd guess Corneliani but if you really want to know, please snap a picture of the label hidden in the inside pocket.

dk123

Reaction score
These Polo suits are Cornelliani and seem to be 1/2 canvassed. Nice suit!

ChicagoJohn

Reaction score
Well you nailed the colors and the knot. So you're off to a great start my man.

I don't want to comment on the suit b/c for me, I'm personally not into black pinstripes. I've got a grey one but find myself straying more towards a blue or brown. I used to love black too, which is weird.

Mr. Moo

Boxercise Toughguy
Reaction score
Originally Posted by polar-lemon
Purists will tell you that the pinstripe is too business-like for a party. I think it looks nice, though.

Interesting, thanks. Would like more feedback on this from others.

Originally Posted by whacked
Thoughts? What thoughts? Are you trying to flip the suit or something?
confused.gif

Most important, IMHO, is how it fits. The pictures above provide little to no information regarding fit.

Nice shirt tho.

No no, not flipping for sure. I'll take a fit picture when the misses comes home - hard to do otherwise. Cheers on the shirt.
smile.gif

Mr. Moo

Boxercise Toughguy
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dk123
These Polo suits are Cornelliani and seem to be 1/2 canvassed. Nice suit!

Thanks. So, is it (from worst to best) fused, half-canvassed, fully-canvassed? Is that right? If so, what is the difference between half and full canvassing?

Mr. Moo

Boxercise Toughguy
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ChicagoJohn
Well you nailed the colors and the knot. So you're off to a great start my man.

I don't want to comment on the suit b/c for me, I'm personally not into black pinstripes. I've got a grey one but find myself straying more towards a blue or brown. I used to love black too, which is weird.

Thanks!

I think that it's a very, very dark blue suit. I'm honestly on the fence though, as it looks black at some angles and dark blue at others.
eh.gif

Felix Krull

Reaction score
The two different stripes you refer to are a chalk stripe (the thicker one) and a pinstripe (the thinner one). It's becoming trendy to mix them which is why you seem them on a RL Polo, ever the conveyor of the lastest fad.

Nevertheless, I assure you that you have a well-made suit which as others have noted is likely at least partially free-floating. While pinstripes are more traditionally worn in business settings, if the party is as least semi-formal you will be fine. You did a wonderful job knotting your tie and you paired it with a nice, conservatively patterned shirt.

I am not a fan of black suits, so I, too, would have gone the blue or grey route with the pinstripes but if you wear this ensemble to the party I would be willing to bet you will be the most dapper attendee there, unless of course someone else from SF shows up.

Mr. Moo

Boxercise Toughguy
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Felix Krull
The two different stripes you refer to are a chalk stripe (the thicker one) and a pinstripe (the thinner one). It's becoming trendy to mix them which is why you seem them on a RL Polo, ever the conveyor of the lastest fad.

Nevertheless, I assure you that you have a well-made suit which as others have noted is likely at least partially free-floating. While pinstripes are more traditionally worn in business settings, if the party is as least semi-formal you will be fine. You did a wonderful job knotting your tie and you paired it with a nice, conservatively patterned shirt.

I am not a fan of black suits, so I, too, would have gone the blue or grey route with the pinstripes but if you wear this ensemble to the party I would be willing to bet you will be the most dapper attendee there, unless of course someone else from SF shows up.

Thank you very much. It will be a New Year's party at a nice hotel in San Francisco, so I hope it will be semi-formal.

You see black too, eh? Hmm... maybe it is black.

Metlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Like others have pointed out, it is hard to see the fit from your pictures. The suit looks great; however, I think the suit + shirt + tie combo looks a bit too busy. Re: the pinstripes, I don't think they look too business-y at all. Perfect for a semi formal gathering. And at first sight, I thought it was dark blue. And then, I read about it looking black and went back and saw and was confused. Now I simply can't decide.
confused.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads