• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Suit Thoughts

yanks2182

Reaction score
After stalking this forum for the last 2 months, I think I gained enough knowledge to make quite a few quality suit purchases to round out my immediate needs. This is my newest acquisition. Â It's a Corneliani 3 button suit with side vents. Â It is made with super 150's wool. I'm not sure if that is a glen plaid pattern (maybe someone can confirm this for me) with a powder blue windowpane. Â I've never bought a window pane suit and was wondering what pattern shirts can be worn with it. Â Should these shirts or tie match the blue in the stripe? Here's an image. Â This is my first time posting an image so I hope it works.

Stu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
After stalking this forum for the last 2 months, I think I gained enough knowledge to make quite a few quality suit purchases to round out my immediate needs. This is my newest acquisition. Â It's a Corneliani 3 button suit with side vents. Â I'm not sure if that is a glen plaid pattern (maybe someone can confirm this for me) with a powder blue windowpane. Â I've never bought a window pane suit and was wondering what pattern shirts can be worn with it. Â Should these shirts or tie match the blue in the stripe? Here's an image. Â This is my first time posting an image so I hope it works.
Congrats: Â Looks like a beautiful suit. I love windowpane. If I had that suit I would lay out a bunch of shirts and ties to find different combos. I think in general I would stick to a solid blue or white shirt, rather than one with a pattern. I wouldn't think the blue in the tie would need match the blue in the suit exactly, but rather pick up on some of the colors. You might email Jon at FIHTies. He's a long-time member and a good guy who will probably be happy to send you a bunch of pics of ties he has that would go well with that suit. Did you pick it up at Last Call?

yanks2182

Reaction score
Yes I did pick it up Last Call. I opened up an account and took the additional 20% off. They told me they had gotten a few Corneliani in the day before. I think this suit was one out of 2 or 3 Corneliani there.

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My $0.02 -- I'd want to wear some blue that picked up the blue in the windowpane. I think that would generally work better with a shirt rather than tie.

As for patterned shirts, it depends on how good you are with pattern matching. You definitely don't want a large-scale check shirt although smaller checks could work. My opinion is that more subtly-patterned shirts would work best since the suit has a rather prominent pattern.

dan

yanks2182

Reaction score
Is that what would be considered a glen plaid pattern?

johnnynorman3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes. But the glen plaid pattern is widely spaced, unlike most glen plaid patterns you'd see (you'd have more intersecting glen plaid lines).

yanks2182

Reaction score
Anyone with any shirt and tie pairing suggestions?

cpac

Reaction score
Anyone with any shirt and tie pairing suggestions?
I'd try a few different things and see what looks good. FWIW, I have a similarly colored suit (black and white herringbone with light blue stripes - looks about the same shade of grey as yours from a distance). I've liked:

White shirts
Lighter blue shirts
Lavender shirts
Pink (pale) shirts
If you have the complexion for it (I don't) a pale yellow or green shirt could look very nice as well.

I've found that grey and silver ties tend to wash out and be boring, and that red/orange tones are really really wrong. But things that have worked so far include:

-lavender shirt w/ dark blue/pink/etc. multi-stripe tie
-any of those shirts with a light yellow pattered tie
-any of those shirts with a light blue tie to match windowpane/etc. (though this is not very adventursome)
-any of those shirts with a magenta pink tie that has small flowers of varying blue shades
-for a more somber look, you can even go with a white shirt/black tie.

Really though, it's just worth experimenting. Whenever I get a new suit or shirt or tie, one of my favorite things it to lay it out with a couple of different combos to see how things look with it. Silly perhaps, but fun, and it does let you know what works and what doesn't.

redtree00

Reaction score
Very nice suit, extremely versatile. I would pair it with a small check, thin stripe or solid shirt with blue being the main color or wear a tie that picks up the blue and go with a contrasting or complimentary color on the shirt.

Did you get the suit at the Elizabeth/Jersey Gardens Last Call ? What are the Corneliani's priced at now ?

yanks2182

Reaction score
I was at the Jersey Gardens Last Call 2 weeks ago, and the only nice suits I saw were some Hickey Freeman. I picked this suit up at the Woodbury Commons Last Call. They retail for $640 there. I didn't see too many Corneliani, but I did notice a beatiful navy pinstripe Zegna in a 44R. I think the Woodbury Last Call had much better merchandise IMO. Could I match a gold or yellow tie with that powder blue in it along with that suit?

cpac

Reaction score
you know my feelings.

There's a chance they could be (what with your suit having a patter, and now both the tie and the shirt having additional patterns) but it's hard to say not seeing it in person.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads