• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New suit ruined? HELP

gabeL

Reaction score
Hi there,
I have been a lurker on this forum for quite some time and what has come to my understanding is that most of you here are experts when it comes to suits and tailoring. A problem has aroused and I need all the advice I can get to rectify this issue. Let me tell you a bit about myself first; I am 16 years old and wear suits almost everyday as they are the dress code at my educational institute. I own a couple of suits already which are cheap, polyester mixes and bought from department stores. However recently I was bought a a £400 suit, reduced from £600, from a very reputed British designer. This suit was bought for me for an upcoming family wedding. The suit that has been bought fits wonderfully and better than any cheaper suit has, it is almost as if it has been made to measure; it is 100% wool. It has been stitched in what can be described as a fine check pattern. Now the problem: this suit had been taken out of its suit carrier by someone and just thrown bag into its retail bag... It has been like this for a day now and upon inspecting it I almost had a heart attack. The arms have been very heavily crease and the the bottom half of the front of the suit has some creases in it too.This is the first time I have ever seen anything like this and a couple of google searches has just left me more scared, how can I fix the creases!?! There are so many solutions out there on the web that I do not know which one I should follow.This "someone" has apologized and said they would iron the suit(just like how you would iron a t-shirt)! I have learnt enough to know that this is the last thing I should try. Has anyone got any low cost solutions that I can attempt and get my brand new, perfectly straight suit back?? I appreciate everyone's' responses.

On a side note I know I will get criticized for having such an expensive suit at this age, but trust me, it was not my choice but a gift. I have stopped growing and am quite built for someone my age so i suspect that this suit should last me some time.

Last edited:

Academic2

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Suits get wrinkled. Just take it to a cleaner for pressing.

Cheers,

Ac

12345Michael54321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
And since it sounds like it's just wrinkled, not dirty, make sure the cleaner understands that you do not want it dry cleaned. That you just want it pressed.

But yeah, clothes get wrinkled. If it were a wrinkled shirt, I'd tell you to iron it. Since it's a suit, get it pressed.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You don't even need to take it to a cleaner - and often best not to because the staff don't know what they are doing. Just leave it to hang or just let it hang in steamy atmosphere and the creases will disappear.

AriG

Reaction score
Just iron it (on a low setting) with a cloth beneath the iron. If you want to be fancy, don't swipe around too much and tell people you "pressed" it. No big deal, I do it whenever necessary and my suits look great. A good cleaner/tailor will also be able to do this for you. Don't freestyle steam it too heavily or you will bust your seams and the suit will lose all its shape. Spot-steaming the back or elbow creases is fine. Never wear the suit right after it though, it will put the creases right back in. Always leave your suit to settle for as long as possible after a pressing.

Last edited:

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Just iron it (on a low setting) with a cloth beneath the iron. If you want to be fancy, don't swipe around too much and tell people you "pressed" it. No big deal, I do it whenever necessary and my suits look great. A good cleaner/tailor will also be able to do this for you. Don't freestyle steam it too heavily or you will bust your seams and the suit will lose all its shape. Spot-steaming the back or elbow creases is fine. Never wear the suit right after it though, it will put the creases right back in. Always leave your suit to settle for as long as possible after a pressing.

Make that a damp cloth.

12345Michael54321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
People, since the original question was posed by a 16 year old schoolboy, who "almost had a heart attack" at discovering that clothing gets creased/wrinkled, how about we limit ourselves to extremely simple, basic advice? No giving him tips on how to spot steam elbow creases or even how to iron using a damp cloth and low heat and not swiping the iron around much.

No, the "See Spot run," answer, the one which is the simplest and least likely to confuse him or to provoke anxiety, is to have him bring his suit to the dry cleaners and ask for it to be pressed.

Academic2

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just get the damn thing pressed at a cleaner, like I suggested

You're going to need a cleaner at some point. Here's a chance to meet one.

Cheers,

Ac

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads