• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New suit (ruffle under collar)

brobear123

Reaction score
Hi guys. Got my first non off the rack suit from Suit Supply. They did some alterations and I have a couple of questions.

#1 is mainly the ruffling of fabric under the collar, making it look like a hump from the side. They actually brought it in in the midline back to tighten it up a bit… I wonder if this is what caused the problem. Can this be reversed? Or is this something that doesn’t need to be fixed

#2 I like how the suit looks from the front. It seems a little longer than jackets I’ve owned in the past. Is it easy to shorten the jacket? I feel like it may be a little too long

ive attached some pictures. Ignore the dirty mirror ?

Attachments

• 16D98BBE-3501-40B5-8495-114F5ECCDB3C.jpeg
    16D98BBE-3501-40B5-8495-114F5ECCDB3C.jpeg
    87.7 KB · Views: 91
  • 522B7BB6-9CD0-4DAD-AF3B-0BA185445FEB.jpeg
    522B7BB6-9CD0-4DAD-AF3B-0BA185445FEB.jpeg
    208.2 KB · Views: 94
  • 153022E4-26F8-4DC8-914E-645BB4B7F201.jpeg
    153022E4-26F8-4DC8-914E-645BB4B7F201.jpeg
    77.3 KB · Views: 90
  • B4934927-D551-4706-A52A-F95A0ED9D0A6.jpeg
    B4934927-D551-4706-A52A-F95A0ED9D0A6.jpeg
    81.1 KB · Views: 101
  • AA974FD3-BE61-457B-BFAF-82D210D3BE8F.jpeg
    AA974FD3-BE61-457B-BFAF-82D210D3BE8F.jpeg
    140 KB · Views: 133
Last edited:

TheChihuahua

Reaction score
I get that little back/collar roll a lot with my suits. Tailor seems to be able to fix it pretty easily and it’s not all that expensive (cheaper than sleeve alterations if I recall). Seems like a pretty routine fix, and I generally have them do it as opposed to keeping the extra fabric back there.

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's not just a collar roll, which would be only just below the collar -- there is tightness across the whole back. See the lines of tension across your back? Not sure if it can be fixed just by letting it out at the center back seam but I'm not a tailor. Did it look like this before they took it in?

Was this an MTM order at SuitSupply (since you said it was "non off the rack"). If so, I'd take it back to them. If they can't fix it, ask for a remake or a refund.

The jacket length is fine, definitely do not shorten it.

brobear123

Reaction score
It was the Havana line not a completely custom fit suit. I don't recall how it looked from the side before the tailoring but this may be new from the tailoring. I wanted a slightly more tapered look so some markers were placed in the midline back to bring it just a tad bit (And I like how it looks from the front now). That's why I included the back shot bc I wonder if bringing it in a little bit made it tight all over (it is very comfortable.. doesn't feel tight at all but I do see those tension lines in the back). I have wide chest/shoulders and small waist and basically nothing fits me. This is probably the best fitting jacket I've had. It's just that cosmetically it looks weird from the side and I guess from the back too.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The jacket does NOT need to be shortened!

BPL Esq

Reaction score
The jacket is already relatively short. It should not be shortened. Overall, the jacket looks small. Maybe post in the Tailors Thread to get more expert feedback.

brobear123

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback. I do think this is from narrowing the shoulders a tad bit. Didn't know it could make this much of a difference. I will take it back and see what they can do.

I'm glad you all think the suit isn't long. It just felt that way initially. I have a short torso. Attached another pic of jacket length.

Another Q Is there anything that can be done about how the jacket flares out at the bottom from side to side? especially pronounced when unbuttoned.

Attachments

• CEDB311B-D4A4-4838-8009-B284023B9CDF.jpeg
    CEDB311B-D4A4-4838-8009-B284023B9CDF.jpeg
    41.2 KB · Views: 122
Last edited:

jaywhyy

Reaction score
Coat is too tight at the chest/back and also looks too narrow at the shoulders...issues highly unlikely to be the result of alterations but rather sizing down too much.

brobear123

Reaction score
So they stuck a pin where the bunching was and tried to tuck it in under the collar. Came back to pick it up. There's bunching again in a slightly different area. Had the main tailor look at it and he stuck a pin in it where it was bunching and I suppose will attempt it again.

I'm not sure if this will be fixed. Off the rack the suit didn't have the bunching.. just was a little loose along the torso. They tried to bring it in along the middle seam and this is what caused all these problems. I wonder if I can just exchange it for a new jacket and start new again.

Last edited:

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The tailor doesn’t seem to know what they’re doing. The problem of the jacket being too tight/small across the back won’t be fixed by taking even more material in! Ask for a refund or an exchange for a new OTR jacket. Resist their recommendation to size down.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You know….it’s funny. We’ve all piled on Brooks Brothers, including myself, for various reasons but at least if you were clueless you could go there and get a suit that would fit. At one time, they even had pretty decent tailors who would make the necessary adjustments and make you look good.

Now we have clueless sales associates trying to stuff everyone they can into suits too small with crappy after sale service.

That suit is a hot mess! Furthermore, suit supply has no business making tailored clothing, somewhat ironic given their name, I know.

They have a shop off Oak Street. Every once in while I’ll see an SA out there taking his “vape break” wearing an extremely tight fitting suit, bare ankles and light brown double monks or whatever shoe is the flavor of the day. One can only imagine that the SA sees that as a proper fit.

knittieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The ruffles come from it being too tight in the shoulders and back, as other commenters have noted. I had that happen with a suit I bought off the rack, and it was not as cheap to fix as someone else suggested.

brobear123

Reaction score
Multiple alterations took place resulting in different sorts of problems - hump gone but then folds elsewhere. Eventually the back was let out to off the rack mode. This is best the back has looked. The hump is essentially gone. There's that crease in the middle but when I look closely many jackets have them and it comes and goes depending on posture.

This is basically how it fits off the rack. It is less tapered compared to earlier pictures but is more comfortable around the shoulders. How does the fit look from the front.. When open, the jacket flares out at the bottom but that might just be the nature of the jacket. While the idea of bringing jacket/waist in sounds appealing, I REALLY don't want those other problems to crop up again.

EDIT: Updated on next page

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads