• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Suit Question

callen

Reaction score
I am trying to build out my wardrobe with quality,so I need to purchase a new Navy blue suit. My issue is that I wear a 40L but have a 31" waist. That makes off the rack suits very difficult, and I cannot afford MTM. I just started B-school this fall.

In the past I have purchased BB seperates, but their design is a little too roomy for my build. Does anyone have any suggestions. My price range is to hopefully keep it under $750.

Thanks - Craig

dirk diggler

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For $700, you are golden. Call Michael Sahi or email him @:

Michael's Custom Clothes
13757 Ventura Blvd.,
Sherman Oaks, CA 91423
818/981-5738
www.suitmaker.com
[email protected]

I have had 11 suits (and 45 shirts) made by him - pricing is great and you get all of the details (working button cuffs, coin pocket in waist, 3/4 lining in pants, canvas instead of fusing, etc.). For your price, you can get a basic suit for about $550 and a few shirts on top. I just got 3 more suits in from him (including a glen plaid and a light grey pinstripe with one button, and double vents). He travels the country often and will be in your neck of the woods within a few months. Takes about 4-6 weeks, with suits and shirts made in HK.

Jovan

Banned for Good
Reaction score
Thanks for the resource, dirk diggler. The woman on his home page is scary though. o_O

VKK3450

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I didnt know that Hugo Boss made fabrics

K

dirk diggler

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jovan
Thanks for the resource, dirk diggler. The woman on his home page is scary though. o_O

he clearly needs to update his site.

rssmsvc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Could you post a few pics of your favorite suits please.

dirk diggler

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
**** - make me work! Ok - it may take a few though.

are you looking for pics of the suits or pics of me in the suits?

GSilva

Reaction score
YOu know any tailers at that price in NYC? I want good suits but everything is upwards of $1000. Thank in advance.

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GSilva
YOu know any tailers at that price in NYC? I want good suits but everything is upwards of $1000. Thank in advance.

I think the NYC guys below $1000 are Mr. Ned and Izzy at LS clothing. both MTM. do a search, as i really don't know any more.

dirk diggler

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
ok - I took the pics, but they are all over 950 kb and too large to post. any suggestions ?

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dirk diggler
ok - I took the pics, but they are all over 950 kb and too large to post. any suggestions ?

compress the pictures, or use imageshack thumbnails.

dirk diggler

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
okay, here are the pictures.

http://www.fotothing.com/dirkdigglercigars/

I posted 4 out of 11 suits I have from this MTM tailor. All have 4 button working cuffs, lined 3/4 pants, coin pocket in pant waist (near right front side), etc. You can pretty much customize how you want. I just got 3 new suits (including the glen plaid) and have started getting double vents (as opposed to the 8 without vents) and 2 have only one button instead of the 3 buttons most of the suits have. I didn't post pics of the solid blue or grey suits, etc.

For the money (3 suits (approx. 90-100's weight) for $1,400 isn;t too bad. SHirts are nice, too. Michael travels around the country so he will be near you within the next few months. Just email him and get his schedule. I have convinced a number of my friends to shop with him and they refuse to go elsewhere now.

Unfortunately, I have no more room in my closet for more clothes (20 suits) until I retire some other suits. Need a bigger house.

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jovan
The woman on his home page is scary though. o_O
She is? Hell, I wouldn't kick her out of my bed for eating crackers. Heh, I probably wouldn't kick her out at all. No, I know I wouldn't kick her out.

DD, how long does this process take with Michael?

dirk diggler

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
usually, he sets up in a hotel suite and has thousands of fabrics to choose from (I usually stick with the British wools). He takes all your measurements and walks you thru the process of designing your suit. You pay 1/2 of the price and he sends the order in. Usually takes 4-6 weeks. If you are a regular and they already have your measurements, it can be closer to 4 weeks. The first time took 6 weeks. I got my 3 suits and 5 shirts this time in about 3 weeks and a day. What I like the most is how the stripes always match up! I have seen some suits by off the rack makers that I swear were made by 2 different shifts of workers.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads