• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Suit Purchase, 1000 max to spend Brands? Canvassed? -- Guidance Needed

mcleester

Reaction score
I am looking to buy a suit for my wedding. I have a slim build and wanted to get something "fashion-forward" in a two-button, flat front pants. I also want my suit to last and wear well. Reading stuff here, I see that canvassing is important for durability.

Basically, I have about $1000 to spend max. I live in Philadelphia and have tried on a Trussini suit from Boyds that was in the price range (barely at 995). It appears to be canvassed and fit okay. The pants were a little baggy behind the legs.

I also tried on a Versace Collection suit at Nordstroms that I liked the cut of, but I highly doubt it is canvassed. It cost 895.

Does anyone have any recommendations or experiences with these brands? Is there another direction I should be looking? What should I be looking for and what is reasonable to pay?

mcleester

Reaction score
Sorry to bump this, but I could really use some help.
lookaround.gif

JohnD356

Reaction score
TaT is good idea if you know what you want. You just missed the RL sale where a Black Label suit would have been just over $1k. But that's not a bad option if you're just trying to see what works for you.

HomerJ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Your profile says you wear 38S. See if this Brooks Brothers Black Fleece would fit. Seller also has a solid navy. http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?p=2100445 Measurements tagged BB0 roughly equivalent to 36S/38S, but check the measurements to be sure shoulder seam - shoulder seam: 17.5" chest circumference: 40.5" length from base of collar: 28.5" crown-cuff sleeve length: 24.25" (+1.5" approx to let down if needed) trouser waist: 30" (+2" to let out if needed) trouser hem circumference at about 34" inside leg: 18.5"

rajesh06

Reaction score
Not sure if 995 was the tagged price at Boyds - but if not on sale - they'll give you $200 off just for asking. Officially you need to sign up for their preferred customer program - but just promise you will and they'll give you the savings.

I just recently bought a (solid navy) Basile suit there at $1295 - $200 = $1095 and I love it.

You should be able to find something good there for $1000 if that's your limit.

musicguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Boyds is really expensive for the most part. They have great service (awesome SAs) but the prices totally reflect that. I couldn't find a really good suit there for under a grand, even when they were on sale.

Check out Wayne Edwards at 1525 Locust. Awesome store with some very high end items (Kiton, Borelli, etc.). Since you're in Philly, it might be worth it to see if he has anything in your price range.

I'll also give a +1 for Thick as Thieves. Heck, you might be able to get two suits for that price.

mcleester

Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
Ralph Lauren Black Label.

These do seem like nice suits, but I can't seem to find any place that sells them. Do you know where you can try them on?

JohnD356

Reaction score
Doesn't King of Prussia have an RL store? Or, just order from Polo.com. Free shipping so it doesn't really hurt. At least you'll be able to try it on.

mcleester

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JohnD356
Doesn't King of Prussia have an RL store? Or, just order from Polo.com. Free shipping so it doesn't really hurt. At least you'll be able to try it on.

There's actually one like 20 blocks from my house. I just called and they have this gorgeous suit there. It's the Anthony Gaberdeen. I tried to upload a photo.

It's exactly what I'm looking for but 2x the price. Is $2000 a fair price?

Apparently they're having that sale another poster mentioned, but solid black isn't a part of it.

JohnD356

Reaction score
Don't ever pay $2k for a RLBL suit. They run sales way too often. That and they come up on B&S and eBay. But do try it on and see if the cut works for you, then keep an eye out. Also, are you sure you want solid black?

mcleester

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JohnD356
Don't ever pay $2k for a RLBL suit. They run sales way too often. That and they come up on B&S and eBay. But do try it on and see if the cut works for you, then keep an eye out. Also, are you sure you want solid black?

Thanks for the info about the price. I'll try it on and hold off. I have a few months before I need it. It's for my wedding, so I would like solid black. I also figure that it's versatile enough to use for the things I need a suit for: weddings, funerals, nice dinner, orchestra. I wear business-casual (ugh) at work.

musicguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There's a Ralph Lauren store at Broad and Walnut. Andy, the SA that is usually there, is great. They carry Polo, Black Label and Purple Label, as well as shoes and women's.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads