1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 8: A Bespoke Coat from David Reeves

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction of the year is for a Bespoke Coat from David Reeves. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

New Suit, Please Comment

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by alexpickering, Jun 16, 2005.

1. alexpickering

alexpickering New Member

Hi I just bought my first suit, let me know what you think. It is a Pronto Uomo Super 100's. Â This is in the suit shop before alterations which include the pants hemmed, the waist brought in, the sleeves brough up so they show that little bit of sleeve hanging out and I also had the sides of the coat brought in so its a bit more of a tailored fit. Any advice on picking out a colour for a shirt and tie for this suit would be much appreciated. Â Keep in mind that I will be wearing it to grad. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. ptolbert

ptolbert Member

You may ask them to lower the collar a bit, you've a tad of a roll there.

Also, there is some volume in the back around the center seem, did they suggest to take it in a smidge?

3. The_Foxx

The_Foxx Distinguished Member

I'm not a huge fan of single-vent suits, but I think it looks fine on you. Seems to me you've picked a jacket that is actually a very good length on you, unlike most american guys who wear jackets much too long (i agree with flusser-- who goes into great detail about fit and alterations of a new suit, which you may want to check out-- jacket should hit you about the knuckle of the thumb in length). looks like a very versatile navy suit, so pairing with a shirt and tie should be pretty easy, especially with a light blue shirt, maybe something like one of these: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws....29&rd=1 http://cgi.ebay.com/ws....11&rd=1 http://cgi.ebay.com/ws....me=WDVW http://cgi.ebay.com/ws....me=WDVW possible ties? http://cgi.ebay.com/ws....92&rd=1 http://cgi.ebay.com/ws....87&rd=1

4. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Stylish Dinosaur Dubiously Honored

For a first suit, you've done very well. The sleeves, however, are a little too long, and the shoulders might be a bit wide. It's hard to tell about your pant length, because you can't see your shoes. Otherwise, you've chosen well in terms of color and style. This should last you a long time. A far better fit than a lot of people's first suit.

5. alexpickering

alexpickering New Member

thank you very much for the quick reply's, i really do appreciate it. The suit is actually a black suit that has a slight grain in it, almost like a black pinstripe. A little harder to tell because the camera used a flash and i was directly infront of a mirror so it kind of looks navy. I have a couple of questions about what the he suggested is altered for the suit. 1)First off i felt that maybe the pants were to baggy but he said that for pleats they are normally a little baggier then flat front and that if it were to be taken in anymore then it might flatten the pleat in the crotch up region. Is this a correct statement? 2) he did pin the sides of the jacket and i am assuming this would bring in that area in the back that tolbert suggested might have too much volume? 3) he seemed very hesitant to bring the sleeve up to where i felt it should be(a smidge above the wrist bend) and said that it was to long but that it need only be right to the wrist and that when I move my arms around at all it will show that cuff that I want. It seems logical and he said that if i got it any higher then people would probably be telling me that it was too short. Does anyone have any experience with the brand name for the suit(pronto uomo)? I would love any feedback so i know if it was a good purchase. I didn't really have all that much time to shop around as my grad in next week so I have been looking around the local shops for the past couple days and thats what I decided on. If I could have I would have like to take more time to research and look around for a good deal on ebay or something but you do what you can eh? I payed $450 canadian after taxes for it. More suggestions for a shirt and tie would be awsome, not neccesarily ebay ones as I need to buy within the week(atleast one shirt and tie for grad) but I would love some ideas on differant colours and patterns and maybe some cheaper brand names to look out for as I am a student. Thanks again. [​IMG]

6. alchimiste

alchimiste Senior Member

Do your wear them high enough? They don't seem to drape very well (look at the fabric around the thighs and knees).

You should show about 1 cm of shirt sleeve when your arms hang naturally (assuming proper shirt sleeve length).

The collar of the shirt you are wearing goes to high: it shouldn't reach your hair and less of it should show.

7. Horace

Horace Distinguished Member

I have little knowledge of the tailoring procedure, but I agree with Tolbert that there might be a bit too much volume here.

I think the length is fine.

8. dah328

dah328 Distinguished Member

He's wrong.  The jacket should show cuff when stationary.  If people tell you that's too short, they're wrong, too.  That really bugs me since I have to forcefully insist on the proper length sleeves from my tailor, too.

On a different note, the first thing I noticed was that the jacket is a good length for you.  As the Foxx points out, that's a rare thing these days.  Good choice.

dan

9. Kent Wang

Kent Wang Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

The first thing I noticed were that your pants were quite baggy. I believe he is correct about flattening the pleats, but you should not have chosen pleated pants to begin with. Now may be too late. Sorry.

10. alexpickering

alexpickering New Member

the pants probably were not high enough in this picture as they wouldnt not stay up around my waist for more than a couple minutes without making their way down to my hips. I did have him bring in the waist though so hopefully it will look better when i get it back from the tailor. Il make sure i post pictures and you guys can tell me what you think.

11. marc237

marc237 Distinguished Member

A few things:

1. I disagree on the pleated pants issue. I think they can look fine when worn correctly. I agree proper positioning on the waist is important.

2. There is a fair amount of extra material at the back. There are two ways that can be addressed. One might be to open the back seam. The other would involve the side seams. Only a competent tailor pinning the jacket while on you ought to be able to best judge which would work best.

3. Good to show cuff while standing.

4. Very often the tailors in men's shops are not the best. Depending upon where you live, you wish to have the work done by a reputable tailor whose judgment and skill are worthy of your trust.

5. I believe that Pronto-Uomo is, among other things, a house brand for the Mens Wearhouse. I think they make stylish entry-level fused suits, nice knits, and attractive shirts. May sense of the product line is that construction and durability will be on par with Calvin Klein or Jones NY suits, but that the styling will be more attractive.

6. Finally, I do not know if this a function of how you were standing, but the vent is pulling/gapping.