Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

New suit jacket

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by VMan, May 3, 2003.

1. VMan

VMan Senior member

Hey all,

I just bought a new suit jacket, unfortunately, it was without the matching pants.  I bought it at a thrift store, seeing as I am 18 and don't wear suits much at all, but it makes a nice addition to my collection.  The brand is Canali, I don't think it can be more than 3 years old, and I think that I got it for quite a steal at $3.58.  The color is a dark gray, and there is a black weave to the fabric.  This makes it hard to match pants to it, in fact I think it would be nearly impossible to find a reasonably priced matching pair.  My question to you is this: what color would be acceptable to wear with this?  I was thinking that a pair of black dress pants would look pretty good, nice for a casual situation.  I also have a pair of dark gray dress pants, good quality and almost the identical color, minus the patern.  Any input would be greatly appreciated.

2. Nick M

Nick M Senior member

I'd probably avoid wearing either of those pairs of trousers with the jacket, for the same reasons I wouldn't wear black and navy together - it may look as if you dressed in the dark, and mismatched the top and bottom of two different suits by mistake.

Perhaps you should aim for a color contrast - how about light gray? Camel? Jeans? Brown cords, even?

Nick.