• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New suit from Y William Yu

Annadale

Reaction score
Hit the gym. Stop eating so much. Don't blame the tailor, he is working a very misshapen client.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This does not look like Y William Yu - those that I have seen look elegant and properly fitting.

Coat and sleeves FAR too short, trousers quite odd - twisting. Try Chan or Yao next time. This is irretrievable.

HRH Demetri

Reaction score
Good Evening
Has anyone had experience with the NYC tailor "Y.William Yu" lately and what was your impression of his service, fittings (if any) and finally the quality & fit of his bespoke commission ? If you have pictures please post so the rest of us NY'rs can option his services.
Thanks.....
bigstar[1].gif

vinveritas

Reaction score
How many fittings did you have Afterglow? And how long did it take for the tailor to complete the commission from the day of measurement?

Mike6453

Reaction score
There's a lot of confusion on this forum with regard to Y William Yu - in an attempt to set the record straight:

(1) William Yu ("WY") - located in Hong Kong, NOT affiliated with Y William Yu. Website is: http://www.williamyutailor.com/eng/about.html

(2) Y William Yu ("YWY") - located in BOTH Hong Kong and NYC on Madison Avenue. Website for the NYC location is: http://www.ywilliamyu.com/; to my knowledge there is no website for the HK location.

Both WY and YWY travel to the US, however only WY travels to NYC as YWY customers are serviced by the Madison Ave location.

At YWY in NYC, you pick the cloth, have your measurements taken by Ronald, and everything is communicated to YWY HK where the suit is made. 4-6 weeks later a fully finished suit is delivered to the YWY NYC. Upon trying the suit on if adjustments need to be made, there is an extremely competent alterations tailor on site whose sole job is to make such alterations. NYC does not do CMT. Pricing starts around $1,500 for a 2 piece suit. I should also mention that Ronald has a large rolodex of extremely high profile Manhattan clientele.

At YWY in HK, I understand that a basted fitting and forward fitting are offered prior to finishing the suit. I believe HK does do CMT. Pricing starts <$1,000 for a 2 piece suit when on tour (cloth included).

Regarding YWY quality - the finished product is excellent - fully hand tailored / stitched to the same standards as Oxxford / Savile Row, etc. (yes, hand padded lapel, etc., and only the major seams are sewn by machine). I cannot speak directly to WY quality, but from what I understand it is inferior to YWY.

Hope this is helpful.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads