Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

New suit from Y William Yu

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by afterglow, Jun 23, 2011.

1. afterglow

afterglow Well-Known Member

I recently got this suit from Y William Yu. Material is a charcoal Minnis Fresco. I went with a half-lined three-piece, 3r2. I gave William input for some details I wanted but otherwise let him decide what to do. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] Is the buttoning point too high?? Sleeves too short?? What do you guys think?

2. TheTukker

TheTukker Senior member

Thanks for posting - is this YWY HK or YWY NY?

3. afterglow

4. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

Right off the bat I would say your left sleeve is too short and the button stance is too high and the jacket is too short.

5. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

Right off the bat I would say your left sleeve is too short and the button stance is too high and the jacket is too short.
    +1. Was that for the watch? wouldnt you also need to shorten the length on your shirts? btw, how can you tell that the button stance is too high?

6. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

Well, he is a bigger guy so a lower buttoning point elongates his upper body. Also if you look at the top of the back of the collar and the floor, the button point is high compared to the middle point of the ground and his collar.

Also, it could just be the picture, or how he is standing, but the front/back balance seems off. If anything the front balance should be longer, not shorter.

7. afterglow

Here's a better picture:
    [​IMG]

It seems that I wasn't careful about the sleeves in the first set of pics. They're even in length as can be seen in this pic. Are they showing too much sleeve??

I see the problem with the length of the jacket. Could probably use another 1-1/2 inches in length. Same thing with the buttoning stance--could be 1-1/2 inches lower.

I checked front/back balance again and the front is definitely shorter than the back.

What can be altered/corrected on this suit and what would be better left for the next suit??

8. forex

forex Senior member

This, it doesn't look good. Also agree on the balance,front seems too short causing vents opening in the back.

9. Classic Car

Classic Car Senior member

Cannot believe Y William Yu made such bad style suit. How much did you pay? Suggest you go to another tailor such as Gordon Yao or W.W Chan. Several details are off including sleeve head.
    Hong Kong.

10. TheTukker

TheTukker Senior member

Hong Kong.

Many thanks. Perhaps you need to get it pressed first, but here are a few thoughts you may want to discuss with him:

- lower button stance;
    - lengthen jacket;
    - ensure left and right sleeve are same length;
    - sleeve pitch seems off, especially right sleeve.

Need better pics without jacket for comments on the pants.

11. Despos

Despos Senior member Dubiously Honored

Inseam of the legs need to be reworked. They should hang straight and not have the diagonal pulling/wrinkling.

12. TheTukker

TheTukker Senior member

It seems that I wasn't careful about the sleeves in the first set of pics. They're even in length as can be seen in this pic. Are they showing too much sleeve??

Somewhat personal preference, but you're fine.

Also, it could just be the picture, or how he is standing, but the front/back balance seems off. If anything the front balance should be longer, not shorter.

Unfortunately, I agree with this.

13. ginlimetonic

ginlimetonic Senior member

Pic #2 of hte back hihglights the balance issues: top heavy, bottom not long enough.

[​IMG]

Also some attention to detail issues around the shoulder where theres too much folding as to seeming its not a good fit

14. HRH Demetri

HRH Demetri Member

Good Evening Gentlemen
    First it should be spelled out to avoid confucion that the tailors in HK William YU are not affiliated with the tailor in NYC "Y.William Yu". They have no affiliation what so ever. It would not
    be fair to the NYC tailor (Y.William Yu) to be considered in the same breath in this case. Next to my untrained eye the jacket looks at the correct length, as I was always told that the back should always cover the "fanny" in length, The rest of the comments seem apropo. Just my 2 cents.[​IMG]

15. comrade

comrade Senior member

Exactly.