• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Hi, we have updated our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy in anticipation of the upcoming new Calfornia laws, the CCPA. If you are a resident of California, these rights pertain to you. Thanks - Styleforum Team.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

New suit from Suit Supply - need suggestion for shoes.

flyingcarpet

Reaction score
Hello all!

I purchased this suit from suit supply yesterday and wanted your advice on the shoes to go with it. I wanted something other than black, may be dark brown or burgundy like?

I want to wear it for a formal event which will take place in the evening time.

It's a Napoli fit Dark Grey plain.

Also wanted to know if it fits well?

these are the shoes I want to wear with them.

PS: This is my first post here!

EliodA

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Welcome! Formal event in the evening calls for black shoes.
The colour of those brown shoes is ok, though the style is perhaps somewhat too casual to go with what's essentially a business suit.

Last edited:

Maxy

Reaction score
I think you need suggestion for socks as well... that won't work

Pendulum

Reaction score
Black is usually the best option for formal evening events, but if you want to go down a different route then you need to advise on budget, without that any suggestions are unlikely to be helpful.

FelixTheFinn

Reaction score
For formal events I'd go with an oxford in black or a darker shade of brown. Definitely not a derby in brown as depicted in the picture. IMHO broguing on brown shoes make them too casual for more formal events, so stick with either a captoe / brogue black oxford, or captoe brown oxford. But you obviously have to consider your budget, plus what your needs are after this event. If your usual wardrobe does not call for black shoes I would not suggest buying a pair solely for this event. We need some more info from you.
In terms of fit, I think the suits looks great, the sleeves on your shirt would need to be a bit longer though, to show some cuff.

Last edited:

flyingcarpet

Reaction score

Welcome! Formal event in the evening calls for black shoes.
The colour of those brown shoes is ok, though the style is perhaps somewhat too casual to go with what's essentially a business suit.

Yes I was also iffy about the style of the shoe.

I think you need suggestion for socks as well... that won't work 

Haha! You are probably right.

Black is usually the best option for formal evening events, but if you want to go down a different route then you need to advise on budget, without that any suggestions are unlikely to be helpful.

My budget for a shoe is $100. So If I do get a brown shoe? Is the color I picked ok? And what style would be appropriate?

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How wide do you like your leg opening on your trousers?

• 7”

Votes: 58 17.3%
  • 7.5”

Votes: 112 33.3%
  • 8”

Votes: 102 30.4%
  • 8.5”

Votes: 36 10.7%
  • 9”

Votes: 13 3.9%
  • 9.5”

Votes: 7 2.1%