• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

new suit-critique please!

spacecowboy

Reaction score
Just bought a new suit from Dolce&Gabbana.(i know the brand is not SF-approved. I liked the fit on the model but not sure whether it looks good on me. I would definitely need to get a little off the sleeves, but other than that, is the fit ok? Is it too long?
still not too late to return it...
Thanks for all your help!

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

sportin_life

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My general impression is that the suit might be a bit too big overall. The shoulders seem to drape slightly past yours, the sleeves are too long, the jacket hits a bit low, and the pants are baggy. It also looks like it needs a lot of waist suppression because the drape right now is undefined.

Klobber

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bigger Pics to get better critique.

Sleeves obviously need taken in. Length of jacket just about OK although hard to tell on small Pics. I would have preferred 1/2 inch shorter, but you appear to be roughly in the ballpark. I would get a tailor to trim the sides near/under armpits, but otherwise you have a nice suit.

The only problem with OTR suits is the shoulders just never fit properly - but standard OTR work in 1/2 inch increments. When I look at you in suit I just focus on shoulders. Not your fault though, I blame suit manufacturers making generic suits
ffffuuuu.gif

I would not make apologies about selecting Dolce, if you like the suit, you like it. Dolce dont bang such bad suits for the buck - they are typically fairly well made.

Suit a bit on the dark side - like almost black. Whats the suit for?

twistoffat

Reaction score
One size to big and the jacket is a bit wide around the waist. I´d take it back to be honest as Talioring to get it right will involve too much

Jim Barns

Reaction score
Originally Posted by sportin_life
My general impression is that the suit might be a bit too big overall. The shoulders seem to drape slightly past yours, the sleeves are too long, the jacket hits a bit low, and the pants are baggy. It also looks like it needs a lot of waist suppression because the drape right now is undefined.

I think he said it all like a pro. Those are my general impressions as well. If you can get something in a relatively smaller size, maybe it will fit you better.

But nevertheless the suit looks nice.

Kiwi Man

Reaction score
I don't know what your body size is, but I can you that Dolce and Gabbana clothes are made to serve "Slim" people. Most of their clothes tend to be slim fit. I have owned one of their Martini line of dress shirt and it fits me so well. I love it so much that I can make love to it!

Anyway, for your suits, I think it is too big for you. Have you tried smaller size? If not, you should!The pants are a bit too baggy for people who love Dolce and Gabbana.

If it is not troubled you, may I ask how much you paid for your suits?

spacecowboy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kiwi Man
I don't know what your body size is, but I can you that Dolce and Gabbana clothes are made to serve "Slim" people. Most of their clothes tend to be slim fit. I have owned one of their Martini line of dress shirt and it fits me so well. I love it so much that I can make love to it!

Anyway, for your suits, I think it is too big for you. Have you tried smaller size? If not, you should!The pants are a bit too baggy for people who love Dolce and Gabbana.

If it is not troubled you, may I ask how much you paid for your suits?

Thanks for all your input! I know Dolce and Gabbana is supposedly slim, but maybe not slim enough for me? Or just one size smaller would be perfect. This is 46(italian size), I don't know if they even make smaller size. perhaps I need to eat two more burgers everyday...... As to which line of D&G, i don't see Martini on the label of the suit, so I suppose it's the mainline? Is Martini slimmer than the mainline? maybe I will try that. Besides Dolce and Gabbana, which other brands would be a better choice? I once tried on a Dior suit, same size, fit me like a glove, but sells for >$2000. For this Dolce suit, I paid about 800.

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by spacecowboy
Thanks for all your input! I know Dolce and Gabbana is supposedly slim, but maybe not slim enough for me? Or just one size smaller would be perfect. This is 46(italian size), I don't know if they even make smaller size.
I'm pretty sure they go down to 44, but finding this size may be difficult, especially in the US. What is your exact chest size, measuring with a tape-measure?

spacecowboy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Klobber
Bigger Pics to get better critique.

Sleeves obviously need taken in. Length of jacket just about OK although hard to tell on small Pics. I would have preferred 1/2 inch shorter, but you appear to be roughly in the ballpark. I would get a tailor to trim the sides near/under armpits, but otherwise you have a nice suit.

The only problem with OTR suits is the shoulders just never fit properly - but standard OTR work in 1/2 inch increments. When I look at you in suit I just focus on shoulders. Not your fault though, I blame suit manufacturers making generic suits
ffffuuuu.gif

I would not make apologies about selecting Dolce, if you like the suit, you like it. Dolce dont bang such bad suits for the buck - they are typically fairly well made.

Suit a bit on the dark side - like almost black. Whats the suit for?

Thanks a lot for the critique! The color is steel grey, I intend to wear it for formal occasions such as job interviews and to work. Would the color be a problem? I already have a navy suit which i bought 5 years ago (pre-SF, of course), which as I see it today is too baggy. With the sleeves, the length of the jacket (i think it's a bit too long for me too), shoulder and waist, perhaps too much for a talor to handle considering i am not in a big city like NYC with a lot of tailors to choose from. I guess it's best for me to just return it. Why is it so hard to find a suit that suits me and not break my bank account?! ~$1000 is what I can afford. Is MTM the only option left for me considering even 46 in Dolce is too baggy for me?

spacecowboy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sanguis Mortuum
I'm pretty sure they go down to 44, but finding this size may be difficult, especially in the US.

What is your exact chest size, measuring with a tape-measure?

hmm....i never used a tape to measure myself
following this post on SF: http://www.styleforum.net/showthread...asurement+suit
I measured one sportcoat that fits me best, the chest is 18.25". The new Dolce has a measurement of 18.75"

Hans Cater

Reaction score
hmm....i never used a tape to measure myself
following this post on SF: http://www.styleforum.net/showthread...asurement+suit
I measured one sportcoat that fits me best, the chest is 18.25". The new Dolce has a measurement of 18.75"

There you go. You just soled one of your own questions. The chest is .50 bigger than your actual size. Maybe you can get that fix I think, but I am not an expert.

spacecowboy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Hans Cater
There you go. You just soled one of your own questions. The chest is .50 bigger than your actual size. Maybe you can get that fix I think, but I am not an expert.

the website i bought the suit from didn't post the measurement. just mentioned it's tapered. i didn't think it would make such a big difference considering D&G is known slim, the pant is "tapered" and it's my usual size. now i know how off it could be. I guess OTR is not for a small guy like me.

Kiwi Man

Reaction score
Thanks for all your input! I know Dolce and Gabbana is supposedly slim, but maybe not slim enough for me? Or just one size smaller would be perfect. This is 46(italian size), I don't know if they even make smaller size. perhaps I need to eat two more burgers everyday......
As to which line of D&G, i don't see Martini on the label of the suit, so I suppose it's the mainline? Is Martini slimmer than the mainline? maybe I will try that. Besides Dolce and Gabbana, which other brands would be a better choice? I once tried on a Dior suit, same size, fit me like a glove, but sells for >$2000. For this Dolce suit, I paid about 800.

I have tried Ralph Lauren BLACK label and it fits me so well. If you live closed to Ralph Lauren store, please go to their store and see if they have promotions on their Black label suits. Last time I was there, they had 30 percent off. Paul Smith should fit smaller/slim guy like you too.....

Have you tried those? How soon you need to wear suits? Do you only want to add to your wardrobe?

spacecowboy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kiwi Man
I have tried Ralph Lauren BLACK label and it fits me so well. If you live closed to Ralph Lauren store, please go to their store and see if they have promotions on their Black label suits. Last time I was there, they had 30 percent off. Paul Smith should fit smaller/slim guy like you too.....

Have you tried those? How soon you need to wear suits? Do you only want to add to your wardrobe?

Thanks for the suggestions! Does Paul Smith has different lines? which is the slimmest?
Although the main purpose would be for my upcoming job interviews in the fall but it doesn't hurt to add a few pieces to my wordrobe, right?
happy.gif
So it's not that urgent.
Do you have any idea when Ralph lauren store would usually have sales for black label? I went to their store when i was on vacation in Vegas, the price seems a little bit high. some discount would make it perfect.

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Hans Cater

Eh, that's just an inch. Cuts from maker to maker vary by more than that. Shoulders are more what I would be concerned about, but they really appear to be close enough. Length is in the ballpark, though a tad on the long end.

Get the sleeves shortened (dramatically!), pants hemmed, and waist nipped in. None of those will cost all that much, and it'll fit pretty well, if not bang on.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads