• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Suit - Changes at the tailor?

Marrakesh

Reaction score
Hi,

I just bought this new Bottega Veneta "Suit".. its not a suit in the classical sense i guess (but i'm not so experianced in suits) but i think its close enough to post it in this section of the board.

I will take it to my tailor the next few days and have it altered according to my wishes..
musicboohoo[1].gif

I (<-) think i should have the tailor shortening the arms and the overall lenght of the suit.

What else do you think i should change? Or is the rest fine?

ewtertertcp1w.jpg

sorry that the picture isn't better, at the moment i dont have any other.

whnay.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Did you borrow that from Sgt Peppers?

spertia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Fit looks pretty good except for the sleeve length, but won't altering the overall length (as you mentioned) mess up the location of those bottom pockets?

Marrakesh

Reaction score
I phoned my tailor and she said this was no problem, so i guess she would only shorten it to the point the pockets start.

what do you think about the shoulders?

bbaquiran

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by spertia
Fit looks pretty good except for the sleeve length, but won't altering the overall length (as you mentioned) mess up the location of those bottom pockets?

Maybe the tailor could move the patch pockets?

Marrakesh

Reaction score
Don't know, is this a very difficult operation?

Sander

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Marrakesh
I phoned my tailor and she said this was no problem, so i guess she would only shorten it to the point the pockets start.

Uuh... that sounds quite strange to me. In fact, it might be a hint that you should change your tailor.
I say that because if she suggests shortening the jacket to the point where the pockets start, she obv doesn't have overall balance in mind. I wouldn't go to a tailor who doesn't care for that kind of 'detail'.
My opinion is that there is space between the bottom line of the jacket and the pockets for a reason and that if the jacket should be shortened, the pockets would have to be moved.

Marrakesh

Reaction score
What does the rest of you think about the suit/jacket?

Marrakesh

Reaction score
ok thats the result after the tailoring.. i guess it fits well?

43sogr.jpg

42um4p.jpg

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am sure that there must occasions where this might be worn but it looks somehow wrong presently.

Sander

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Certainly looks good. Looks like you had the jacket shortened, no? I think the pockets are now too near the edge but it's no great distraction.

Cravate_Noire

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ahhh, the "3 fittings, tailor made, bespoke suit" (as presented in German GQ Forum...).
Then it became a "mtm" suit.
Well OK, for an ill fitting rtw suit, bought because it was on Sale, the alterations turned out quite well (compared to your various experiments).
So we have arrived to "rather weird looking, altered rtw suit".
I think it's a question of time untill we'll get to see the classic marrakesh look again.

Oh, why did you post that on styleforum?
Your stated oppinion was that the members here are only **** iGents who **** each other's asses and know ****!

Sebastian

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cravate_Noire
Ahhh, the "3 fittings, tailor made, bespoke suit" (as presented in German GQ Forum...).
Well OK, for an ill fitting rtw suit, bought because it was on Sale, the alterations turned out quite well (compared to your various experiments).
I think it's a question of time untill we'll get to see the classic marrakesh look again.

Your stated oppinion was that the members here are only **** iGents who **** each other's asses and know ****!

I like where this thread is going!!
lol8[1].gif

Marrakesh

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cravate_Noire

first... as i told you before, you are not the only person who can buy expensive clothings, even if you may think so.. and, speaking of your quotation,.. you know..i never said this. i said that you are an ****, and in fact, judging you after your childish behaviour in this and some other board, you may, in fact, be one.. and: i never said it was "tailor made".. perhaps you should not spend your time on reading english boards but on learning to read german properly? however, you dont count.

said this, i'd like to move on and hear some more qualified persons on the suit..

Originally Posted by GBR
I am sure that there must occasions where this might be worn but it looks somehow wrong presently.

in fact i bought it for some university-charity-event.. its semi-formal so most of the persons will attend it wearing jeans and blazer or some will wear ill-fitting, bulky suits.. so i think its a good idea to wear some "colour".
After that i think i will wear the suit for going out with the girlfriend and so on.. or just wear pants or blazer separetly..

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Marrakesh
i said that you are an ****, and in fact, judging you after your childish behaviour in this and some other board, you may, in fact, be one...

Because calling someone a '****' isn't childish at all?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads