• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 4: Goodyear welted shoes from Cobbler Union

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 4th auction is for a pair of Goodyear welted Shoes from Cobbler Union. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

New Suit - Changes at the tailor?

Marrakesh

Reaction score
Hi,

I just bought this new Bottega Veneta "Suit".. its not a suit in the classical sense i guess (but i'm not so experianced in suits) but i think its close enough to post it in this section of the board.

I will take it to my tailor the next few days and have it altered according to my wishes..

I (<-) think i should have the tailor shortening the arms and the overall lenght of the suit.

What else do you think i should change? Or is the rest fine?

sorry that the picture isn't better, at the moment i dont have any other.

whnay.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Did you borrow that from Sgt Peppers?

spertia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Fit looks pretty good except for the sleeve length, but won't altering the overall length (as you mentioned) mess up the location of those bottom pockets?

Marrakesh

Reaction score
I phoned my tailor and she said this was no problem, so i guess she would only shorten it to the point the pockets start.

what do you think about the shoulders?

bbaquiran

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by spertia
Fit looks pretty good except for the sleeve length, but won't altering the overall length (as you mentioned) mess up the location of those bottom pockets?

Maybe the tailor could move the patch pockets?

Marrakesh

Reaction score
Don't know, is this a very difficult operation?

Sander

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Marrakesh
I phoned my tailor and she said this was no problem, so i guess she would only shorten it to the point the pockets start.

Uuh... that sounds quite strange to me. In fact, it might be a hint that you should change your tailor.
I say that because if she suggests shortening the jacket to the point where the pockets start, she obv doesn't have overall balance in mind. I wouldn't go to a tailor who doesn't care for that kind of 'detail'.
My opinion is that there is space between the bottom line of the jacket and the pockets for a reason and that if the jacket should be shortened, the pockets would have to be moved.

Marrakesh

Reaction score
What does the rest of you think about the suit/jacket?

Marrakesh

Reaction score
ok thats the result after the tailoring.. i guess it fits well?

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am sure that there must occasions where this might be worn but it looks somehow wrong presently.

Sander

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Certainly looks good. Looks like you had the jacket shortened, no? I think the pockets are now too near the edge but it's no great distraction.

Cravate_Noire

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ahhh, the "3 fittings, tailor made, bespoke suit" (as presented in German GQ Forum...).
Then it became a "mtm" suit.
Well OK, for an ill fitting rtw suit, bought because it was on Sale, the alterations turned out quite well (compared to your various experiments).
So we have arrived to "rather weird looking, altered rtw suit".
I think it's a question of time untill we'll get to see the classic marrakesh look again.

Oh, why did you post that on styleforum?
Your stated oppinion was that the members here are only homo iGents who fuck each other's asses and know shit!

Sebastian

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cravate_Noire
Ahhh, the "3 fittings, tailor made, bespoke suit" (as presented in German GQ Forum...).
Well OK, for an ill fitting rtw suit, bought because it was on Sale, the alterations turned out quite well (compared to your various experiments).
I think it's a question of time untill we'll get to see the classic marrakesh look again.

Your stated oppinion was that the members here are only homo iGents who fuck each other's asses and know shit!

I like where this thread is going!!

Marrakesh

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cravate_Noire

first... as i told you before, you are not the only person who can buy expensive clothings, even if you may think so.. and, speaking of your quotation,.. you know..i never said this. i said that you are an homo, and in fact, judging you after your childish behaviour in this and some other board, you may, in fact, be one.. and: i never said it was "tailor made".. perhaps you should not spend your time on reading english boards but on learning to read german properly? however, you dont count.

said this, i'd like to move on and hear some more qualified persons on the suit..

Originally Posted by GBR
I am sure that there must occasions where this might be worn but it looks somehow wrong presently.

in fact i bought it for some university-charity-event.. its semi-formal so most of the persons will attend it wearing jeans and blazer or some will wear ill-fitting, bulky suits.. so i think its a good idea to wear some "colour".
After that i think i will wear the suit for going out with the girlfriend and so on.. or just wear pants or blazer separetly..

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Marrakesh
i said that you are an homo, and in fact, judging you after your childish behaviour in this and some other board, you may, in fact, be one...

Because calling someone a 'homo' isn't childish at all?

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 26 3.4%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 132 17.3%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 250 32.7%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 119 15.6%
  • 31 - 40