• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Suit advice

GiltEdge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I bought this Calvin Klein for $299 at Filenes yesterday, I actually took it over an Armani Collezioni one for the same price. Now this is what I was looking for, I am only 16 so undertaking an Armani no matter how much it's worth is too much to handle.

A woman came up to me and said that I need to go up a size. Well the 40R fit my fine, but this is a 42L and it's huge. I have watched all the GQ videos on how to buy a suit and it all went to waist because my parents had to listen to this woman. It needs to be taken to a tailor, I like the slim yet masculine look and fit of a Tom Ford or an Armani, so I think this should be tailorable and still fit me well.

What is most important is that the sleeves are taken in and the shoulders, is it possible to make the sleeves slimmer and reduce the largeness of the armholes? That is what matters, if they can't do that, I may go back and start all over again.

Also I wanted a vest to go with it, but I do not know what to look for or what would match, they had a few Armani BL and Emporio velvet vests there that were so nice, but they had patterns or were solid black.

Here are a few pics, it is a dark Navy with very tiny light blue dots. Yes I know it can out Grey but it shows the pattern.

meee016.jpg

meee015.jpg

meee014.jpg

MaxJones

Reaction score
There are two things you can do that will help immensely. First, don't listen to random women ever again for the rest of your life. It sounds like you have some good ideas about proper fit, so be resolute about what you want and don't defer to people easily.
Second, return that suit immediately. I haven't seen the Armani, but it's got to be better. Read the labels, "Made in China" is not a good sign on an of the rack suit.

teacha.gif

SirSuturesALot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A picture of you wearing the suit would help. Black out your face if you're concerned about privacy.

Mershanks

Reaction score
- Definitely avoid "Made in China."
- Pay attention to the material. Cheap material will pill and make you look like a greasy car salesman
- I generally dislike suit jackets without a single vent or double vent.
- Look at the shoulder width, make sure it looks right across your shoulders

mmhollis

Reaction score
Oh boy, I feel for you buddy. We are in the age of terrible sales people. Made in China isn't necessarily a great sign but your 16, you'll probably be growing some more. Being a little younger myself, I often encountered dumb salespeople who tried to advise my mother against what I thought. At the end of the day, YOU have to wear the suit so I would recommend speaking up! Telling your parents how you feel even if its outside of the salespersons earshot.

GiltEdge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It has a vent, I could get away with it the way it is now, but I rather get it tailored. The material is actually not bad, it is soft light weight and strong. It felt just like the $799 (original $8K) Armani BL next to it. Of course not the same but it was good. I'll need this for the next 2 years until I am in college and blow all my money on designer items. But what I really need to know is can a tailor make armholes smaller/slimmer.

bigbjorn

Reaction score
Originally Posted by PaoloM
But what I really need to know is can a tailor make armholes smaller/slimmer.
No. Sorry. You'll need to take it back.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Stand your ground, have that suit replaced with a size smaller suit, and damn that ignorant saleslady. When you go in there, make sure the jacket's shoulder fit squarely on yours, the rest of the stuff can be tailored later.

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by PaoloM
It has a vent, I could get away with it the way it is now, but I rather get it tailored. The material is actually not bad, it is soft light weight and strong. It felt just like the $799 (original $8K) Armani BL next to it. Of course not the same but it was good. I'll need this for the next 2 years until I am in college and blow all my money on designer items. But what I really need to know is can a tailor make armholes smaller/slimmer.

Yes. But not any tailor. And it'll cost $100. So take the suit back. You're young. The rest of your life is a long time to regret something.

mattg

Reaction score
I'm confused here. why is an on sale for $299 Calvin Klein made in China, yet a $249-$299 full MSRP Calvin Klein made by Peerless made in Canada? I have had a number of the Peerless suits made for Calvin Klein and Ralph Lauren in the past (as I paid wholesale and for $150ish they are decent travel suits) Expect to pay $100 bucks for a decent fit from the tailor.

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Post a pic of you wearing it. Without that there's no way to tell if this saleslady is feeding you nonsense, or she saw something you didn't. A pic is the only way we can give you any constructive advice on the fit of the suit.

stylemeup

Reaction score
I too advise you to not be pressured by any salesman or saleswoman. You must come to realize that you are in control of what you buy and they can never truly make you buy anything. You can only make yourself buy what you shouldn't have via having succumbed to their sales pressure. That is no way to go through life, being swindled by salesmen/saleswomen. Best to get off the path right now IMO by doing like the other posters said and taking the suit back. And also, don't get swindled by sales pressure again in the future.
smile.gif

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Take it back and gets one which fits you to your satisfaction - not some loose woman in the shop.

Don't worry about made in China - that merely means cheap labour which is there to take advantage of.

fuji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If it doesn't fit you return it. $300 for a CK chinese made suit is rediculous. Why did you choose it over an Armani Collezioni? I wouldn't spend $100 to get a cheap suit tailored. Just buy a better one that fits you and don't pay attention to a sales assistant (assuming she is wrong). Don't buy a vest unless it comes wit hthe suit. You will never get a perfect match and it will look weird. No vets will look better. By Armani black label do you meen Giorgio Armani because as far as I know there is only Giorgio armani, Armani Collezioni and Emporio Armani, which make suits.

bleachboy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GBR
Don't worry about made in China - that merely means cheap labour which is there to take advantage of.

If exploiting people doesn't bother you, that's your prerogative. However, you gotta admit that suits made in any number of countries pretty much lacking labor laws are, in general, inferior to suits made in USA, Canada, England, Portugal, Swtizerland, Italy, etc, etc.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads