New style shoe trees for EG/RLPL

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by retronotmetro, May 25, 2006.

1. retronotmetro

retronotmetro Senior member

I just got my new Mackays. They came with a different style of shoe tree than my other RLPL shoes--these have a spring loaded hinge instead of the "door hinge" style. I find these a LOT easier to get in and out of the shoes than the old style. When did this switch occur? Is this the standard EG tree?

2. aportnoy

aportnoy Senior member Dubiously Honored

I just got my new Mackays. They came with a different style of shoe tree than my other RLPL shoes--these have a spring loaded hinge instead of the "door hinge" style. I find these a LOT easier to get in and out of the shoes than the old style. When did this switch occur? Is this the standard EG tree?

The change was for the Spring 2006 shoes and I agree that they are a vast improvement. These are much closer to the standard EG trees but are still not the same as EGs trees are unvarnished.

3. mbca

mbca New Member

I just received my mackays from the Polo sale and they came with the "hinge" trees. The good news is that I had no trouble removing the trees. The bad news is that I think this 888 last is too narrow for my foot. [​IMG] I wear a 12D US size, though my right foot is slightly larger (& wider?) than my left. As much as I love the look and craftsmanship of these shoes, I think they need to go back. Such a great price (used the MAY18 coupon)! Will they break in much over time?

I bought 2 other pairs of shoes through the online "private" sale. One is the cordovan darlton tassel loafers. Great looking and beautifully made RTW shoe. I have a 20 year old pair of BB cordovan loafers that these will replace...and they seem worthy! I also ordered a pair of the "Garcia" italian made penny loafers. This is another great shoe and value at $150. It fits perfectly and may become my "travel" dress loafer. Does anyone know who makes this shoe for RL?