1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

New style Red Wing boots (possible new 875 colors)

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Rambo, Oct 15, 2007.

1. underwearer

underwearer Senior member

Thats weird...I saw some photos of someone wearing them in sufu and they looked way too red so I decided not to get them. You could be right about the difference in color among pairs.

I'm guessing the polish used might have an affect on color too.

2. bathtime

bathtime Senior member

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it looks like the Gentleman Traveler lacks the Red Wing insignia on the ankle, which makes it more appealing to me than the 1911.

Anyone know if the two have the same last/sizing?

GS, do you feel like the Red Wings are a decent value when compared to your more expensive, but presumably better quality, Alden Cordovans?

3. Get Smart

Get Smart Senior member

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it looks like the Gentleman Traveler lacks the Red Wing insignia on the ankle, which makes it more appealing to me than the 1911.

GS, do you feel like the Red Wings are a decent value when compared to your more expensive, but presumably better quality, Alden Cordovans?

You're right, the GT doesnt have the Red Wing imprint on the ankle, which is good

Kind of hard to compare the GT with the Aldens....the Aldens can be worn with dressier fits. The GT I got to 'upgrade' my Doc Martens, and to have a nice boot I can wear in Europe this winter. The GTs commando sole and waterproof Horween leather fit that bill perfectly, as does the cherry black colorway. Paying full retail for the GTs I dont feel like I overpaid, altho if you can get them for cheaper even better. These boots are solid, and really nice substantial leather uppers. Value for the dollar, both boots are worth the premium they command imo. But the RWings are ½ the cost of the Aldens so there's a big price difference

4. bathtime

bathtime Senior member

GS - thanks for the considered response. I admire your sense of style and value your opinion.

Good to know the Horween is waterproof. That and the commando sole are positives for the wet winters here in Portland OR.

For those interested in this boot,
    Zappos is out of the black cherry (item number 9011) in most sizes (black still available). However, Red Wing customer service advised me that your local Red Wing store can order it from inventory for store delivery.

Alternately, you can order from the Red Wing, MN store at 651-388-6233. They don't have the boot in store, but can order from inventory for home delivery (approx $10 shipping). Their computers showed 28 pairs left in total inventory in size 9, for example. So still decent stock available.

5. Get Smart

Get Smart Senior member

Dusty here's a pic of boots (from WAYWT)

[​IMG]

6. Superb0bo

Superb0bo Senior member

OMG you made skinhead boots out of them!
    hehe

7. Johnny_5

Johnny_5 Senior member

[​IMG]

Those boots are beautiful...You pull them off real well Jason.

8. Get Smart

Get Smart Senior member

OMG you made skinhead boots out of them!
    hehe

Victory or Valhalla!!

Johnny5..thanks man! They're progressively getting softer and more comfortable while wearing throughout the day. Yesterday and this morning I felt my ankles were going to burn off.

9. auto90403

auto90403 Senior member

Santa Monica, California/McLean, Virginia
    RW only look good in pictures. In the store, they're too clunky for my taste. Which is how I think that 1911 boot would look once I actually see/try on a pair.

As for those top three boots in the original post, they look like what you'd wear when you're over at Cousin Earl's house helping him clean out his septic tank.

Which is not my look or demographic at all.

10. Superb0bo

Superb0bo Senior member

^^ I guess you think that denim is "below" you aswell?

11. DNW

DNW Senior member

[​IMG]

Them boots look badass. Maybe I'll get lucky this xmas and Santa will bring them to me.

12. Joel_Cairo

Joel_Cairo Senior member

As for those top three boots in the original post, they look like what you'd wear when you're over at Cousin Earl's house helping him clean out his septic tank.

Which is not my look or demographic at all.

classy.

13. Johnny_5

Johnny_5 Senior member

[​IMG]

I forgot to ask you how you laced those...? Ive never seen shoes laced that way before.

14. underwearer

Man those RW's are the tits. You rock some serious boots Get Smart.

15. Get Smart

Get Smart Senior member

I forgot to ask you how you laced those...? Ive never seen shoes laced that way before.

There's 2 ways I know of to do straight lacing....this method works well on the GTs since you don't see any criss crossing.......start at the bottom and lace straight across, then instead of crossing to other side, put one side straight up to the hole above and then across, and do same for the opposite side (which will end up going to 2nd hole above it), repeat.

16. xchen

xchen Senior member

17. whacked

whacked Senior member

^^ Goodyear-welted, full grained leather boots for $35? [​IMG]

And without the RW insignia to boot. [​IMG]

18. warrengharding

warrengharding Well-Known Member

I received my 1911s from Cultizm and while on the site it has the RW insignia on the ankle, the pair I received seem to lack it. So unless mine are just weird, there is no reason to go with buying from zappos over cultizm.

19. shoreman1782

shoreman1782 Senior member

I'd considered buying the WORX crepe-soled shoes (not boots) before, maybe I will for $35.

20. underwearer

[​IMG]

http://www.amazon.com/Mens-Wedge-Boo...2795689&sr=1-1

WORX by Red Wings. Very similar to some of the boots posted. They haven't got my size. But they're $35.00 and I have a feeling someone is gonna save some cash.

Those are a great deal and all but I don't see how they are even remotely similar to the 1911's.