• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New sportcoat, what can I pair it with?

Citan1145

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

Just want to say first off, that I am very grateful for all the style advice and inspiration from this forum. I always check out wyawt and check out alot of threads and it has been a big inspiration. A little info, I am a graduate student in clinical psych. I also work in a hospital where suit and tie is the norm, or, sportcoat and trousers. I have a navy blazer so I wanted to expand my sportcoat wardrobe. I love green found this BB Fitzgerald (which fits me rather well, the cut that is) Green with blue deco SC. Problem is, I am not very advanced with my "outfit matching" for lack of a better term. Basically, what trousers, shirts, and ties would go with this? If it helps, I am a 38r, 5'11'' 165. I am also 26. Any help would be appreciated. Fit pix when I get it back from the tailors for some waist suppression and shoulder narrowing.

FYI the green is much less subdued (more like an olive or dark grey) and the blue does not pop at that much (forgive me, first time taking pix for the forum). I was thinking a blue ocbd and a burgundy or green and blue tie?

14b16r6.jpg

34rjcj8.jpg

Citan1145

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
worship.gif

wow Spoo responded haha. your my sartorial idol at this point.
I don't have any birds eye pants, but I do have a nice donegal tweed pant in charcoal and in a light grey, would either go ok?

I have a glen plaid PRL light blue shirt. so check on that.

It is a very sweet fabric. It is Saxxon wool and has a very soft hand. Fully canvased too as far as I can tell.

Thanks for the feedback Spoo, tho I hope to get more!

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Donegal might be too busy with the SC, but I can see it working under the right circumstances. Id stick to a monochromatic underneath that, pantwise.

Thanks for the kind words!

Citan1145

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good point. In terms of pant color (and to address the monochrome suggestion) would a lighter pant look better or a darker, such as navy or charcoal? Your welcome Spoo. Also, the donegal is pretty monochromatic, I am not even sure if it is true donegal but it flecks of black on a mid grey base, it isn't that wild, tho I get your point about too many patterns clashing.

Thanks for the feedback!

sf_esq

Reaction score
Nice fabric. Personally, I would go blue shirt (not too light or too dark) with light grey trousers. You could pull off navy too, with the same blue shirt.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads