• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Sofa: Florence Knoll in Ivory Cato

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
Would you stop with that? I'm sorry I brought it up.
frown.gif

You are facing the consequences of your actions.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
I don't think of you that way. I think of you as Chinese.
smile.gif

. . . without access to good Chinese food. It's very sad. What do you think of the new fabric versus the leather?

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
. . . without access to good Chinese food. It's very sad. What do you think of the new fabric versus the leather?
I prefer the fabric. I don't really like leather sofas, though white leather does have some appeal.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I prefer the fabric. I don't really like leather sofas, though white leather does have some appeal.

Every few minutes I feel pangs of regret for not sticking with the off-white leather. It's too bad we were pretty much stuck with Knoll fabrics--a smoother, finer texture in a lighter shade would have been striking, if not somewhat impractical for us.

binge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Typical San Francisco architecture shoves tons of weird shaped rooms into small spaces. When we remodeled, we took out four rooms.

+1 to that. I once lived in a ~1500-1600sq. ft. flat that had 6 "rooms". A friend of mine is shopping for a new 1BR apartment now and is seeing lots of listings for 800-1000sq. ft. places with 3-5 rooms.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by binge
+1 to that. I once lived in a ~1500-1600sq. ft. flat that had 6 "rooms". A friend of mine is shopping for a new 1BR apartment now and is seeing lots of listings for 800-1000sq. ft. places with 3-5 rooms.

Well, our 1,000 square feet one-bedroom apartment has four rooms--five if you count the foyer
devil.gif

binge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It doesn't count if there aren't pocket doors.

And BTW, in the above, I'm not counting bathrooms. The 1500 sq. ft. 6 BR flat would be 8 "rooms" if you count the WC and bath room.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by binge
It doesn't count if there aren't pocket doors.

And BTW, in the above, I'm not counting bathrooms. The 1500 sq. ft. 6 BR flat would be 8 "rooms" if you count the WC and bath room.

What's a pocket door?

binge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What's a pocket door?

Not as clumsy or random as a foyer; an elegant entry for a more civilized age.

crazyquik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What's the controversy here? Who would dispute that more useful, quality space is worse than less? The issue is that many large homes have lots of unuseful, poor quality space. Nobody is saying that smaller homes are better than larger ones, just that larger ones aren't necessarily preferable in all instances.

Many older homes have hallways though, which is basically unusable or wasted space.

Pocket doors are doors on a track, instead of on a hinge. They slide sideways into the door jam, instead of swinging.

I like big homes, but my favorite place I've lived was a 1 bedroom apt of about 1000 sq ft.

EL72

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We live with three kids in <1,700 sf. and we have three bedrooms + spacious LR, DR, Kit + sunroom that is a kids' playroom = 7 rooms. It's plenty of room for five though our nanny lives in of our bsmt apts and the kids do spend time there too.

Would I like more space? Sure I'd like more room for an office, guest room... but I am perfectly happy to trade off more space to live in a great house in a great neighborhood, on the subway, 5 min. to DT...

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hard for me to compute all these rooms in that sq footage but I believe you guys. We have just 3 rooms and around 1500 sf but the boys are babies and there is no way this will be enough space when they start running around, going to school, etc...

EL72

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
Hard for me to compute all these rooms in that sq footage but I believe you guys. We have just 3 rooms and around 1500 sf but the boys are babies and there is no way this will be enough space when they start running around, going to school, etc...

Really? So just a kit, LR, and BR? Those must be very big rooms. And you have twin boys who can share a room until they move out.

BRs here are not huge. Smallest is ~100 sf and the master ~ 200sf. so that's less than 500 sf + LR/DR/Kit = 700-800sf + Bath + hallway.. = ~1,700

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I'm probably not counting our rooms right. To be clear, we have a living/dining room, a kitchen, a bedroom, a bathroom, and tiny foyer.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads