• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Sofa: Florence Knoll in Ivory Cato

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
We have a touch over 1,000 sq. feet.

I guess there are trade offs living in the big city.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pejsek
What fresh brand of hell is this? How much space do you need? My family of four lives in about 1700sf in San Francisco and it's more than enough for us--three bedrooms, double parlor, split bath, kitchen and dining room. I really don't want for more space. When I see 3500sf suburban houses it edges me towards a kind of vertigo. Out by where my parents live in Contra Costa County sports stars have huge compounds that remind me of motels. Where's the glamour in that?

For the record, while my own tastes are slightly more baroque, I too think the fabric is much nicer than the leather.

Personally, I'd rather spend more per square foot and have a smaller, higher-end interior, than spend an equivalent amount on way more space. Growing up I had friends with 4-5k sq houses and the interiors were so bland.

My last apartment was just under 1000 sq. feet, and that was plenty for a couple. I grew up in 3000 sq. ft houses with a brother and a sister though. I can't imagine living in less space than that with kids. Talk about ever-present noise... I think you probably have to add 500sq. ft. per kid to be comfortable, but that's just me.... That makes it a 2500sq. ft minimum for 3 kids. I like peace and quiet and my own space. A basement with a locking door is always a plus.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
What fresh brand of hell is this? How much space do you need? My family of four lives in about 1700sf in San Francisco and it's more than enough for us--three bedrooms, double parlor, split bath, kitchen and dining room. I really don't want for more space. When I see 3500sf suburban houses it edges me towards a kind of vertigo. Out by where my parents live in Contra Costa County sports stars have huge compounds that remind me of motels. Where's the glamour in that?
Academically, I know what you say is possible. I mean, being very poor growing up, I lived it. I just can't see myself willing do it as an adult. To each his own though, I say.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
Academically, I know what you say is possible. I mean, being very poor growing up, I lived it. I just can't see myself willing do it as an adult. To each his own though, I say.

I grew up in the suburbs, so I know what it's like to have a lot of space. A thousand square feet is perfectly alright for us right now, but not forever--and certainly not if we have kids.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I'd like something about half to two-thirds what we have, and could never live in a place the size of the house I grew up in. I'd get lonely, and angry at upkeep. Space can be way overrated, at least to me.

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'd turn any empty spaces into large ball pits.

Pennglock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You've chosen the finest sofa ever designed, in a very nice color and fabric. Well done and ubiquity be damned in this case.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
I'd like something about half to two-thirds what we have, and could never live in a place the size of the house I grew up in. I'd get lonely, and angry at upkeep. Space can be way overrated, at least to me.

Well, my parents' house is big enough, but far from palatial, so I happily imagine an upgrade to something similar one day
smile.gif

Originally Posted by Pennglock
You've chosen the finest sofa ever designed, in a very nice color and fabric. Well done and ubiquity be damned in this case.

Thanks. We looked at dozens of contemporary designs. A giant portion seem to be heavily inspired by the Florence Knoll, and we tended to gravitate toward them. The ones less heavily inspired tended to have features we didn't like and wouldn't work in our small space--low and chunky seems to be all the rage these days. Perhaps I'm misguided, but I don't like the slip cover costruction typical of so many current Italian designs. The covers always look a little messy.

At the end, we figured there was no point in straying from the original unless construction or quality were going to be problematic.

pejsek

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire

I'm sorry. This is just silly and I don't understand it. And it's not an academic question at all. I don't get the contemporary obsession with excess--big people driving huge cars and living in hangars. It never occurred to me that I've been living all these years cheek-to-jowl in some sort of dark medieval dystopia. At least we don't bring the animals in in the winter. But, yes, to each his own, I suppose.

And mafoofan, please have the courage of your convictions. No need to apologize for 1000sf in NYC (especially if it's quality space). Don't be a dilettante either or feel the need to back up your position with protestations of suburban cred. You don't need to move out of the city when you have kids. Have you watched Mr. Blandings?

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Don't be a dilettante either or feel the need to back up your position with protestations of suburban cred.
Hey, suburban cred's important.

B000H9HWSM.jpg

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
And mafoofan, please have the courage of your convictions. No need to apologize for 1000sf in NYC (especially if it's quality space). Don't be a dilettante either or feel the need to back up your position with protestations of suburban cred. You don't need to move out of the city when you have kids. Have you watched Mr. Blandings?

I was just being honest. My wife and I would like to have a backyard one day and don't plan on staying in the city forever. Still, we're very happy with our current apartment and have nothing to complain about.

pejsek

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
I was just being honest. My wife and I would like to have a backyard one day and don't plan on staying in the city forever. Still, we're very happy with our current apartment and have nothing to complain about.

Yards are great and definitely worth making a priority. The lots in our neighborhood are mostly large (even if too often given over to the preservation of primeval thickets of wild fennel). I can certainly understand moving out of the city in search of land as opposed to more house.

Anyway, enough hijacking. Congratulations on your couch.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Okay, here's the middle back cushion. Where is the rippling and puckering?

sagging.jpg

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
Love the sofa. The cushions actually remind me very much of the Barcelona chair, I wouldn't be surprised if they were the same. I am more of a fan darker fabric colors, but that's only because of the wine spilling nature of the gf.

But what is with the ridiculously barren white wall behind the sofa?? Add some color to that mofo, or stick a picture frame or other fixture there.

And 1,000 sf. or NYC is great for 2 people, I'd be surprised if I had half that space in my 1-bedroom.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads