• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Slicer - Help me pick one

KJT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
OK - time to buy a slicer. I don't have burning need for one, other than I wish from time to time that I had one because a chef's knife/gyuto just isn't doing the job properly.

I like carbon steel, but I'm not married to it. Generally, I like Japanese style knives but would certainly consider anything of quality. I also like vintage carbon Sabatier slicers, but there are so many offshoot brands that ebay-ing one scares me. I'm comfortable with sharpening on waterstones, and with caring for carbon steel.

I'd like to keep the price around $100, mainly because there are a number of good options for that price point.

Here's what I'm looking at, in no particular order:

Fujiwara FKH Sujihiki - 270mm - $75
http://www.japanesechefsknife.com/FKHSeries.html
Img704.jpg

http://www.chefknivestogo.com/fujiwara.html
chefknivestogo_2159_2924259

Suisin High Carbon Sujihiki - 270mm - $132
http://korin.com/High-Carbon-Steel-S...category=52109
31btrf1m-NL._SL500_.jpg

Private branded Thiers-Issard slicer - 250mm - $95
http://www.leevalley.com/en/garden/p...33,40738,45507
45k3210s1.jpg

Honsho-Kanemasa E-series Sujihiki - 270mm - $109
http://japan-blades.com/chef-knives/370.html
e-16.jpg

KAGAYAKI CarboNext Sujihiki - 270mm - $139
http://www.japanesechefsknife.com/KA...extSeries.html
HONKO-6.jpg

Any other suggestions? Any input on what I posted?

KJT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rambo
What are you going to use this thing for?

laugh.gif

Good question. Slicing meats mostly, ham, roasts, etc. and raw fish from time to time. Probably primarily proteins.

mm84321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think the Kagayaki looks the prettiest. Of course, it's also the most expensive.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For me the most important quality in a slicer is length.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SField

Just like what you look for in men, right? HAYYYYOOOOOO

Explains why you never wanted to meet up with me

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

KJT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mm84321
I think the Kagayaki looks the prettiest. Of course, it's also the most expensive.
If we're talking just aesthetics, this is my favorite. I like the profile, and the fact that the kanji are engraved in the metal rather than printed on.
e-16.jpg
The CarbonNext metal is pretty interesting though, it's supposed to be more rust resistant that regular carbon steel, but is supposed to have the same sharpening properties.
Originally Posted by SField
I generally use a 210mm chef's knife. I have a 10" chef's knife that I use from time to time, but my kitchen counters are not big enough and I feel like I'm going to hit stuff with the tip when chopping, etc. I thought that a slicer of that size would be manageable, but effective. In your opinion, would a 300mm blade be more effective?
Originally Posted by Rambo
Just checking. Well, aside from the raw fish, I think you could get by with one of these for a lot less scratch and probably equal or better performance:
411Xx6vzTpL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
http://www.amazon.com/Victorinox-12-...431799&sr=1-13 Or one of these on the cheap:
21D7gmnAsiL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
http://www.amazon.com/Black-Decker-E...7431799&sr=1-2

For whatever reason, I can't get down with an electric knife. I know they have certain practical applications in the kitchen, but I just feel like a 70's housewife using one. Probably won't happen. Those slicers just aren't sexy enough. I like a balance of style and functionality. Thanks for the suggestions though.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Those round end granton knives are what a lot of the pros use.

KJT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
Those round end granton knives are what a lot of the pros use.

Well, I know the Japanese slicers in carbon aren't the most practical tool for the job, but for me, part of the joy of the knives is taking care of the blade, watching the patina grow, carefully sharpening the blade on stones, etc. It's akin to having a functional piece of art.

It's somewhat similar to the shoe discussions that go on in the Men's Clothing subforum. Yeah, a pair of Bostonian's will do the job of protecting and comforting your feet just as well or better as a pair of EG's or Lobb's, and many more people own them, but I understand the personal pleasure of having something that suits your style exactly. In the case of these knives, the prices aren't wildly different, so if the functionality is at least similar, I will choose one that I prefer the look of.

KJT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Adding a few vintage knives I found on ebay to the mix, all pre-1987, so virgin steel:

Vintage Carbon Wustof - 10.25" blade - $125
WUVslRw1.JPG

Vintage Carbon Wustof - 12 3/8" blade - $129
WUV12slFILrRE7.JPG

Vintage Sabatier Stainless, "La Trompette" line - 12" blade - $88
EK12slUre1.JPG

Vintage Sabatier Carbon (can't tell maker) - 12" blade - $95
$%28KGrHqUOKjUE2zHLPqkGBN6Ug9We%29!~~_3.JPG

foodguy I know you have some vintage knives - any thoughts on these?

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
How good are your knife skills? Seriously. That is a big determinant when it comes to deciding how long a knife you can handle.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by KJT
Well, I know the Japanese slicers in carbon aren't the most practical tool for the job, but for me, part of the joy of the knives is taking care of the blade, watching the patina grow, carefully sharpening the blade on stones, etc. It's akin to having a functional piece of art.

It's somewhat similar to the shoe discussions that go on in the Men's Clothing subforum. Yeah, a pair of Bostonian's will do the job of protecting and comforting your feet just as well or better as a pair of EG's or Lobb's, and many more people own them, but I understand the personal pleasure of having something that suits your style exactly. In the case of these knives, the prices aren't wildly different, so if the functionality is at least similar, I will choose one that I prefer the look of.

I'm not just saying that because it's cheap. There are practical reasons for a round edge and a granton blade for a slicer. Also, you can find really nice ones if you want one.

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
what are some practical reasons for a round edge?h

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics