• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New shoes

hopkins_student

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'll be wearing dress shoes more frequently in the coming years. Currently I have a pair of brown Ferragamo Tramezza semi-brogues and a pair of black Johnston and Murphy cap-toe oxford. I haven't worn the J&Ms since I purchased the Tramezzas nine months ago. I'm going to look to buy shoes with leather soles that will last a long time, preferably bench-made. I figure that I can spend a little more as long as I'll be wearing them ten or fifteen years from now. What do you think? Greens, more Tramezzas, others? I'd like to keep it in the $600-$800 range for each of the pair or two. I have not been much of a shoe person so I'm not entirely sure what kind of prices I'll be facing realistically (I got my Tramezzas for $285). I'm a 10 (Ferragamo) and 10.5 (other) in case anybody sees a nice, conservative black cap-toe on Ebay. Thanks for your help.

newyorker

Reaction score

philosophe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Check with Ron Rider at Francos. He has lots of good options at reasonable prices.

drljva

Reaction score
Not a shoe expert either but I like the Tramezza Fiorenzo and Tramezza Nostro http://ferragamo.neimanmarcus.com/store....=&sort= Tramezza apparently has a program where you can select different styles, leather and color for about $800+ I think there were good things said about Vass and Gravati concerning their quality and value. I'm also quite a fan of the C&J Weymouth http://www.bensilver.com/fs_stor....group=2
You're right, the Fiorenzo is an awesome shoe. Very sylish -- to my eyes, at least -- and well made. Tried one on the other day at Salks in NYC; thought about getting it, but found an EG pair (Elmsley black blucher on the D202 last) that I liked even better.
wink.gif

hopkins_student

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My Tramezzas must be on the same last as the Fiorenza.  They have the same shape, but it does not have a blucher.  I very much like my shoes, as well as the Fiorenza.  Recalling the 'Derby: Appropriate for Suits' discussion, I would prefer to stick with shoes I can wear with suits.  Thanks for your advice.  Hope to hear from more of you.

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ebay has lots of Tramezza monkstraps and a few oxfords right now, most for $339. You may find something in your size.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics