• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Shoes to Fill Daily

T22P

Reaction score
So I have been running in circles trying to decide what to buy for daily shoe wear at work.

I work in an office environment where very few people wear coats. Odd dress trousers and a button down are the usual. I am looking for two pairs of quality shoes that aren't too attention grabbing so as to make it difficult to wear them multiple times per week. I also own two pairs of AE park aves in black and brown for wearing with suits.

I am thinking a blucher or loafer would work best but am open to suggestions.

nohit

Reaction score

I work in an office environment where very few people wear coats.

Probably true for most folks.

I take it the Park Ave's are too formal with odd trousers in your opinion? Personally, to the office, I wouldn't wear bluchers (don't care for them) or loafers (I like them very casual and only for weekend/vacation). I've found that my brogue wingtips are the most versatile shoes I own. My fav is the AS Hunt in mahogany.

Good luck!

12345Michael54321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Have you considered a nice pair of tassel loafers? Seems that something like AE Graysons would suit the level of dress at your office.

'Course, opinions on dress loafers are varied. Me, I like them, and even wear them with suits, depending on the suit, the situation, and my mood. But even many of those people who disapprove of loafers with suits would see nothing wrong with wearing them with odd trousers and a button down.

Makoto Chan

Reaction score
I love my tassel loafers, but a penny loafer is less eye-catching, and so a bit easier to wear often. I like the Alden leisure handsewn penny loafers. The C&J Poole is nice, as is the J.M. Weston 180. Allen Edmonds' new Patriot loafer looks good, too.

I wear an Allen Edmonds Clifton blutcher very often. Not too ornate.

T22P

Reaction score
I take it the Park Ave's are too formal with odd trousers in your opinion? ...

I've found that my brogue wingtips are the most versatile shoes I own. My fav is the AS Hunt in mahogany.

Good luck!

You are correct, I was going on the basis that the Park Ave Bal's would be too formal. Those AS Hunt's are really nice but the brouging might make them limited time wears. Most folks are in the thick rubber soled loafer boat so they would not go unnotticed.

Thanks for the good luck nohit.

Have you considered a nice pair of tassel loafers? Seems that something like AE Graysons would suit the level of dress at your office.

'Course, opinions on dress loafers are varied. Me, I like them, and even wear them with suits, depending on the suit, the situation, and my mood. But even many of those people who disapprove of loafers with suits would see nothing wrong with wearing them with odd trousers and a button down.

I have considered tassel's Miachael but they seem a little old manish. I am only 30 and not sure if I can pull something like that off in a casual Information Technology environment.

I love my tassel loafers, but a penny loafer is less eye-catching, and so a bit easier to wear often. I like the Alden leisure handsewn penny loafers. The C&J Poole is nice, as is the J.M. Weston 180. Allen Edmonds' new Patriot loafer looks good, too.

I wear an Allen Edmonds Clifton blutcher very often. Not too ornate.

I was considering penny-loafers and will check out your suggestions Makoto Chan. Also checking out the Clifton as well.

Thank you all for the suggestions/comments.

T22P

Reaction score
Checked out the suggestions and really like the Clifton's. Can't find them in dark brown though. What are peoples thoughts on Delray in brown? Not sure if split toes are going to be a timeless style or not.

T22P

Reaction score
I made it out to our AE store and tried on both the Patriot and Delray. The store was somewhat busy but after dropping off the shoes, the sales clerk never came back to check on me so I could try a different width in the Delrays. They were too tight at the ball of my right foot at the big toe (Common problem for me). The Patriots were comfortable and I think I will jump on those tomorrow, hopefully when they are a little less busy.

Still looking for a solid business casual lace-up.

SuitedDx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I made it out to our AE store and tried on both the Patriot and Delray.  The store was somewhat busy but after dropping off the shoes, the sales clerk never came back to check on me so I could try a different width in the Delrays.  They were too tight at the ball of my right foot at the big toe (Common problem for me).  The Patriots were comfortable and I think I will jump on those tomorrow, hopefully when they are a little less busy.

Still looking for a solid business casual lace-up.

I know you mentioned the brogues might be too attention-grabbing but if you get a pair of dark brown derby wingtips I doubt it'll cause much stir. I think a shoe like RL/C&J Marlow is a great "casual friday" shoe.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads