• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New shoes life span

Reuters

Reaction score
How long can I keep my new shoes without it breaking up at the soles?
I understand for used shoes, after 6 months on inactivity, the soles tend to break apart.
Many thanks.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by diorshoe
i never heard of inactivity or long storage making soles to break apart new or used.
anyone want to shed some light on this?

It happened to me recently with some Timberland outdoor boots I'd had for about 13 years but had only given light use during that time. The soles started crumbling apart and tearing away from the upper of the shoe.

Reuters

Reaction score
What I meant was that the whole sole comes off the shoe in one piece. I think the glue sorta gave way.

Reuters

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JLibourel
It happened to me recently with some Timberland outdoor boots I'd had for about 13 years but had only given light use during that time. The soles started crumbling apart and tearing away from the upper of the shoe.

Thats what I meant.
smile.gif

However, I believe totally new, not worn shoes should not have this issue. Only those that are worn infrequently.

Reuters

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sator
The answer is to buy better shoes - preferably Goodyear welted. Otherwise try getting Topy (a rubber compound) attached to the soles.

I think those that have soles sewn to the shoes last better. E.g RM Williams.

Rolo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Reuters
I think those that have soles sewn to the shoes last better. E.g RM Williams.

They certainly don't come unglued.

Also, when are you changing your user name to Thomson?
laugh.gif

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Reuters
I understand for used shoes, after 6 months on inactivity, the soles tend to break apart.
You'll find plenty of shoes on eBay that are "˜dead-stock', i.e. new shoes that were forgotten in some warehouse for twenty or more years. Usually those shoes are perfectly alright and find a new buyer. If the shoes had been stored for more than fifty years, particular in extreme dry conditions and in high temperatures, the leather might have lost it's natural moisture and has cracked.

There was recently a pair of John Lobb boots from the 1920s on eBay. Although the boots had been worn, they can't have been worn regularly and must have spent most of their life in storage somewhere. I believe, that even after 85 years, the leather was still fine. Crockett & Jones have in their showrooms in London and New York a few samples of shoes that were produced either before or shortly after WW1; those shoes are in excellent condition (and look much better than anything produced recently).

RIDER

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Crockett & Jones have in their showrooms in London and New York a few samples of shoes that were produced either before or shortly after WW1; those shoes are in excellent condition (and look much better than anything produced recently).
Hey Bengal!

They also had these at the MICAM show a couple of months ago....crazy, huh? Also shows how feet have changed.....were very long and narrow yet short. The sole work and materials was unbelievable...that kind of sole leather is loooong gone. I asked to take some pictures but the C&J agent said no - was not the most friendly guy.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads