• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

JRB

Reaction score
Jeez, sorry, this seems like such a childish question, but it's really bugging me.

So as I mentioned in another thread, I purchased a pair of Allen Edmonds Lexingtons, size 8.5D. They are tight. I wore them yesterday afternoon (about 3 hours) and today (about 9-10 hours) and my feet are dying! In the store I tried on a 9 and my feet slipped a bit in them, not so much that the heel slipped, but they felt just a tad to big. So it would seem that I'm between a 8.5 and a 9. These being my first quality shoe purchase, are they going to break in to be comfortable? If so, how long do I give them? Or should I try and exchange for the 9?

HalfCanvas

Reaction score
This doesn't sound too unusual to me. Where are "your feet dying"? Do you have a blister on your heel or somewhere else?

Jangofett

Reaction score
I think when you are literally in pain when wearing them.
Thats the time to give up the ghost.

IronRock

Reaction score
Depends where they are tight. They will not stretch at any of the stitching points. They will stretch to some degree everywhere else.

If you've been wearing light weight leisure shoes for the past million years then your feet are gonna take a while to break in too.

Jim Barns

Reaction score
I think it all depends on how your feet feels inside the shoes. How do they pain?

One can't really tell if they will give in eventually except one really knows what or how you feel the pain you feel when you put them on.

phxlawstudent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When it hurts to walk. If its pinching your toes, its too narrow. If the heel slips, well, that's just the price you pay for the shoe not pinching your toes. Try another last, manufacturer, or use heel pads (I think thats the name).

If its pinching on top of your toes, that could just be the leather breaking in and pressing down on your toes. I take no position on that problem. Theoretically, this problem will dissipate with shoe cream and breaking in.

Jim Barns

Reaction score
Originally Posted by phxlawstudent
When it hurts to walk. If its pinching your toes, its too narrow. If the heel slips, well, that's just the price you pay for the shoe not pinching your toes. Try another last, manufacturer, or use heel pads (I think thats the name).

If its pinching on top of your toes, that could just be the leather breaking in and pressing down on your toes. I take no position on that problem. Theoretically, this problem will dissipate with shoe cream and breaking in.

+1
Great response
teacha.gif

onix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When in doubt, go up half a size or a width, so either 9D, or 8.5E. After several hours of walking/standing, our feet actually get bigger/bloat-up. So a tight shoes will be a huge pain. Also, thick socks are always an option.

ThatGuy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by phxlawstudent

I would have to agree with this.

I recently bought a pair of shoes. I was stuck between a tight toe area, or my heel slipping out. The sales man told me that the toe are will stretch out, so I made the decision to buy it. Well, after my first wear, I had blister on my ankles. I just placed a band-aid on each ankle... after the third wear, the shoes just fit right!

Break em in I say!

Star

Reaction score
I had a pear of loakes that brought tears to my eyes and increased my blood pressure. After much pain and coming close to throwing them away, they now fit beautifully.

Fred H.

Reaction score
Originally Posted by pvrhye
See that D? Make it an E and try again.

Yep. Sadly, I have learned that lesson recently. Went and had my feet measured again. Ones borderline D/E other is pretty clearly an E. Oh well, now I know.

mcbrown

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JRB
...my feet are dying!...

More information is needed to give you meaningful advice. Is the pain primarily on the surface of your skin (rawness, blistering, etc.), in your joints (toe or ankles), on the soles of your feet, horizontal compression in the toes, etc.? Depending the specifics, the prescription could range from more break-in time, to insoles, to getting a different size.

JRB

Reaction score
They're hurting on the side of my big toe and the side of the base of my pinky toe. I don't really feel that the toes are squished in there, so maybe it is a width problem. It's a cap toe shoe, so the stitching is pretty much right across where it hurts, plus they're double soled. I may take them over to a shoe repair shop and get them stretched.

I put the shoe trees in them last night, going to let it rest for today and I'll try them again tonight with some thicker socks.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads